Main Menu

Beetle's Book and Word Thread

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, March 14, 2017, 10:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jfey

Quote from: driver on January 28, 2018, 22:17:48 PM
I meant to post this a while back.

Coyote America: A Natural and Supernatural History

This an interesting read. Sheds a lot of light on coyote populations. It is also very bais, in favor of the coyote.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0465093728/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517195749&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=coyote+america&dpPl=1&dpID=51sXC5T%2BPwL&ref=plSrch

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

He's been on Joe Rogan's podcast a few times.   Very interesting to hear what he has to say about coyotes.   

Yup, going fishing

Beetle

Thanks for posting this one.    I'm interested in learning more about them since they wake me up every night!

natureboy

I'm wrapping up Abbey's Desert Solitaire, I've enjoyed it.  Doug how was the Hillbilly Elegy?  I have it on the shelf, but haven't queued it up yet.

Dougfish

Quote from: natureboy on February 02, 2018, 16:38:46 PM
I'm wrapping up Abbey's Desert Solitaire, I've enjoyed it.  Doug how was the Hillbilly Elegy?  I have it on the shelf, but haven't queued it up yet.
It was good not great. I think I was maybe too educated on the basic premise. The personal side of the book was the highlight for me. How folks rise up from shitty upbringings is amazing. He is 1 in a thousand? A hundred thousand?

Went back and re-read Rocket Boys after that. Another great story of perseverance.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Dee-Vo

I'm into Hillbilly Elegy now. Not loving it so far. I'll continue to muddle onward.....

Dougfish

New to the plate.
Reviews later.Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

driver

Quote from: Dougfish on February 14, 2018, 17:09:16 PM
New to the plate.
Reviews later.Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Oh. Those both sound very interesting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dee-Vo

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I enjoy some of King's work — others, not so much. I especially enjoyed "Under the Dome." That was a long read.

The Jonestown book, "A Thousand Lives," was good. It's amazing and frightening at what and how people succumb to manipulative treatment. I was glued to this book.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Ray Comfort?  This Ray Comfort!!!   

8-13 bucks on Amazon - save your money or buy a half dozen or so of Marvel Comics.

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Phil

I want to read that brook trout book. Would like to read your review first, Doug.

Dee-Vo

Another good read. Great example of a book that's better than the movie.

When I initially read Peter Benchley's, "Jaws," I was taken back by the scenes that were in the book but never existed in the ever popular seventies flick. Love that book/movie.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

The detail that you purchased Comfort screams cynicism.  I hope you found it in the bargain bucket at Wal-Mart and had a fragile moment. 

Whelen and Angier (1965) are on their way to my mailbox. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on February 15, 2018, 16:57:45 PM

The detail that you purchased Comfort screams cynicism.  I hope you found it in the bargain bucket at Wal-Mart and had a fragile moment. 

I'm unable to recall where, or, really, why, I purchased that book. It was a waste of time and money. Cynical, I am.

greg

How are the galliagan books? I read nail knot years ago and had trouble staying awake long enough to read it. Did they get any better?

Dee-Vo

Quote from: greg on February 15, 2018, 20:51:26 PM
How are the galliagan books? I read nail knot years ago and had trouble staying awake long enough to read it. Did they get any better?

They're all sort of similar. I took breaks while reading them all. They're okay.