Main Menu

Beetle's Book and Word Thread

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, March 14, 2017, 10:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Good mail day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

sanjuanwormhatch

driver

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on July 14, 2017, 10:12:24 AM
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Good mail day!

That's awesome.  Just finished that one yesterday. It's like other JG books. Just different stories.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Beetle

Yep- typical JG but I really enjoyed it.    Worth the read!

The Dude

Any of y'all ever read Dump Truck by C. Bigsby?

I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: The Dude on July 16, 2017, 18:31:30 PM
Any of y'all ever read Dump Truck by C. Bigsby?

Nope, I don't have a problem with non-Caucasians.  Plus the book is a bit too Southern redneck for me.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

sanjuanwormhatch

Muddie have you read hillbilly elegy? 

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on July 17, 2017, 09:19:05 AM

No, I have not.  Should I?  I'll check it out.  Many thanks.

sanjuanwormhatch

I haven't read it but it's gotten a lot of buzz.  Applachia boy who made it big writes with perspective from both sides of good fortune.  Or something like that.  I tend to shy away from books that become "popular" for the most part because I generally think most people are morons but I am curious about this one.  A muddie stamp of approval would go a long way. 

Dougfish

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on July 17, 2017, 09:19:05 AM
Next on my list. Wife liked it. Is that a no vote?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on July 18, 2017, 08:38:55 AM
I haven't read it but it's gotten a lot of buzz.  Applachia boy who made it big writes with perspective from both sides of good fortune.  Or something like that.  I tend to shy away from books that become "popular" for the most part because I generally think most people are morons but I am curious about this one.  A muddie stamp of approval would go a long way.

I think the conservatives really like it, so that is strike 1.  Doug's wife, whom I've never met, liked it, and she married Doug, which begs the question, is she sane?  If she's visually impaired and relies on braille, then I might entertain her analysis of Hillbilly Elegy, and her fondness of an invisible or blurred Doug.  That might be strike 2, but I am going to give it a gander. 

Big J

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on July 18, 2017, 11:30:57 AM

I think the conservatives really like it, so that is strike 1.  Doug's wife, whom I've never met, liked it, and she married Doug, which begs the question, is she sane?  If she's visually impaired and relies on braille, then I might entertain her analysis of Hillbilly Elegy, and her fondness of an invisible or blurred Doug.  That might be strike 2, but I am going to give it a gander.

Author graduated from OSU. Strike 3

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Not that any of you are interested but I've been working on a book for the last few years.  I am not an author/writer, and never will be.  My goal is to leave the tales and interpretations for my son and any grandkids that may appear.  Plus I've found that attempting to define/explain yourself, your life, etc. is very much boosted by struggling to put it in written word.

The working title is "Meet Me at the Grove", with everything from chapters on informative youth in VA mountains, to VT's positive influence, to skepticism, to hunting and fishing, to my late father, to religion and politics, to sagas of old-timers sprinkling baby powder on a young girl's cucci and licking it off all before my teenage eyes, etc.  There may be reasons that I am screwed up, likely there are many explanations.

If my membership to life does not expire, I'll finish it.   

rbphoto

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on July 18, 2017, 11:30:57 AM

I've met @Dougfish 's wife and she is wonderful.  She let's him fish, drink beer and spend time with the likes of all of us here.

Strike 1 for @Mudwall Gatewood 3.0
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

troutfanatic

I am reading.

Lange: Current Diagnosis and Treatment, Rheumatology by Imboden, Hellman and Stone.

[attachment id=0 msg=153222]

It's a real thriller.  b';