News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Beetle's Book and Word Thread

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, March 14, 2017, 10:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCsporksman

I had this on my phone one night during a weekend turkey hunt...usually dont get too jazzed about historical fiction but really couldn't put it down...1000X better than the godawful comicbook movieGuests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

billythreetimes

Quote from: tomato can on April 28, 2017, 05:37:11 AM
Anything by McCarthy is superlative.  My favorite is the Orchard Keeper and if you want to laugh out loud like a hyena check out his book "Suttree".

Glad to see this. I've been wanting to get into McCarthy, but always get tied up in something else.

Currently finishing up Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life by William Finnegan and re-reading Dharma Bums while in search of some sort of inspiration.

sanjuanwormhatch

Suttree deserves to be up there with the best of steinbeck (east of eden, imo), hemingway, or whomever else you consider to be the GOAT.  It's a masterpiece.  Have you read some of McCarthy's other southern works?  Child of God?  Eye god.  If you like the southern McCarthy books I'd suggest William Gay.  Some are dark as fuck but most are awesome.  Ray McKinnon made one of his works into an awesome movie (That Evening Sun).

I'm currently reading ... too many.

Boys of Brooklyn - it being baseball season I figured I'd give this a whirl.  I think I'm quitting it.  I don't need some pussy from Brooklyn telling me how broken the south was in the 50s.  I came for baseball.  Not his analysis on how ignorant my relatives were.

Still working on Shadow Country.  That's a damn book.  I like it just have to take breaks.

Going on vaca soon so I got some vaca reads.  Harrison's new food book and "The Tower" which I scoped out at the local pataguicci store.  Seems very first world problem-y but hell it's vacation.

Just bought "a little life" on a friend rec.  He said it was incredible. 

Muddy, have you ever read The Varieties of Religious Experience?  It may be on the wrong side of the pulpit for you (I'm not sure which side the book is on) but it seems interesting.  Just bought it.

sanjuanwormhatch

Quote from: billythreetimes on April 28, 2017, 07:10:59 AM
Anything by McCarthy is superlative.  My favorite is the Orchard Keeper and if you want to laugh out loud like a hyena check out his book "Suttree".

Glad to see this. I've been wanting to get into McCarthy, but always get tied up in something else.

Currently finishing up Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life by William Finnegan and re-reading Dharma Bums while in search of some sort of inspiration.

Dharma Bums is Kerouac for high school freshmen.  Give Desolation Angels a spin if you're man enough. 

billythreetimes

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on April 28, 2017, 08:21:06 AM
Quote from: billythreetimes on April 28, 2017, 07:10:59 AM

Dharma Bums is Kerouac for high school freshmen.  Give Desolation Angels a spin if you're man enough.

Will. Interested in The Tower, let me know how that one is.

tomato can

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on April 28, 2017, 08:14:09 AM
Suttree deserves to be up there with the best of steinbeck (east of eden, imo), hemingway, or whomever else you consider to be the GOAT.  It's a masterpiece.  Have you read some of McCarthy's other southern works?  Child of God?  Eye god.  .

Yes of course, read all of 'em many times.  Lester Ballard is truly a Child of God.  If you liked Suttree then check out Flannery O'Connor's Wise Blood.  amazing stuff  very funny stuff in that book too,  but then again its Flannery O'Conner.  Eudora Wealty is another amazing author also.  Tobacco Road by Erskine Caldwell is another good one.  It will curdle your milk. The turnip eating scene in Tobacco Road is as funny as the city mouse defiling watermelons in Suttree.

sanjuanwormhatch

I've read Tobacco Road and and some welty and o'connor (with whom I share a birth city) but need to revisit all.  I actually got a pretty interesting non-fiction highlighting o'connor - "flannery o'connor and the christ haunted south".  One day when I retire I'll get around to reading all the books I have.   

Beetle

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil

sanjuanwormhatch

I think I'm going to go buy his book during lunch. 

bmadd

Thanks for that link SJW. I've seen David Joy highly recommended by a favorite author of mine but I've never read any of his writing. I, like you, will be making a purchase soon.

He sounds like he's from a place a lot like where I'm from.

JMiller

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

I'll just put this here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

tomato can

For the Jarheads in the family, Matterhorn was a page turner.  They had enlisted dialogue down pat.