News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Beetle's Book and Word Thread

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, March 14, 2017, 10:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Some of you might have this field guide.  It is very instructive, beautifully written, with wonderful color drawings.

Currently, this guide is relevant.  J. Reese Voshell was my supervisor for over 30 years, but more importantly, Reese was my dear friend.  Last week we lost Reese at the age of 72.  During those 30+ years of working and teaching together Reese and I never had a cross word between us, and we joked about this phenomenon.  We could not say the same about our spouses, children, or other relatives and friends.   

Discussed with the wife, my plan was to have Reese participate in the toting of my casket when I take that dirt snooze, because I always thought he would outlive me.  So much for calculating life and making plans.   

Damn, I miss my pal.         
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on May 23, 2021, 10:04:37 AMSome of you might have this field guide.  It is very instructive, beautifully written, with wonderful color drawings.

Currently, this guide is relevant.  J. Reese Voshell was my supervisor for over 30 years, but more importantly, Reese was my dear friend.  Last week we lost Reese at the age of 72.  During those 30+ years of working and teaching together Reese and I never had a cross word between us, and we joked about this phenomenon.  We could not say the same about our spouses, children, or other relatives and friends.   

Discussed with the wife, my plan was to have Reese participate in the toting of my casket when I take that dirt snooze, because I always thought he would outlive me.  So much for calculating life and making plans.   

Damn, I miss my pal.         

I'll have to pick that up. Sorry for your loss Hiner.

Dougfish

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I had read a string of political books and needed a change of pace.
Great book, true story. The man who got us the Magnitsky act.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Yallerhammer

Just finished a really good one called "Wild Sports in the Far West" by Friedrich Gerstaecker." It was written by a German immigrant who came to the US in the early 1800s and rambled and hunted across the country, especially the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas. A very interesting window into frontier life during those times.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Yallerhammer

You cannot view this attachment.

Very good read. I sometimes forget how good of a writer Steve is, since he got his tv shows.

troutrus

Twain considered this his best work. Though I've only read a handful of his books, this was my favorite of his writings and I would rate it as perhaps my favorite book all-time.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: troutrus on June 23, 2021, 18:47:48 PMTwain considered this his best work. Though I've only read a handful of his books, this was my favorite of his writings and I would rate it as perhaps my favorite book all-time.
Everything I've ever read by Mr. Clemens was good. I have most of his portfolio on my shelf.

Trout Maharishi

I bought a couple of books at the used bood store yesterday. Might start reading them as soon as I can finish up some flies I'm sending to my friend in Maine. BTW, does any one have Instant Mayfly Identification Guide or The Mayfly Guide by Caucci/Nastasi they would be willing to part with? I would be willing to pay in USD, Bitcoin, EBT credit, passwords to premium streaming services, weed, home made unbonded corn liquor, naked photos of random women I have know, I'll even throw in a couple of pic of my junk, maybe it will make you all feel even more superior to me than you already do.Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on June 26, 2021, 04:46:17 AMI bought a couple of books at the used bood store yesterday. Might start reading them as soon as I can finish up some flies I'm sending to my friend in Maine. BTW, does any one have Instant Mayfly Identification Guide or The Mayfly Guide by Caucci/Nastasi they would be willing to part with? I would be willing to pay in USD, Bitcoin, EBT credit, passwords to premium streaming services, weed, home made unbonded corn liquor, naked photos of random women I have know, I'll even throw in a couple of pic of my junk, maybe it will make you all feel even more superior to me than you already do.

I have the works of Crotchy and Nasty somewhere in storage.  When I finally get my ducks in a row and purge some of the old stuff, you can have their Hatches I and II for free.  I never warmed to C&N.  They should have labeled their comparadun the split tailed haystack, giving Fran Betters credit.  The angling world continues to be full of whores, thieves, and charlatans. 

If mayflies flip your cookie, then Arbona's text is by far the best --- a bit outdated but still #1 in my book, followed by the works of Swisher and Richards. 

https://www.amazon.com/Mayflies-Angler-Trout-Fred-Arbona/dp/0832929948
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on June 26, 2021, 04:46:17 AMBTW, does any one have Instant Mayfly Identification Guide or The Mayfly Guide by Caucci/Nastasi they would be willing to part with? I would be willing to pay in USD, Bitcoin, EBT credit, passwords to premium streaming services, weed, home made unbonded corn liquor, naked photos of random women I have know, I'll even throw in a couple of pic of my junk, maybe it will make you all feel even more superior to me than you already do.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/ShopBasket?ac=a&ik=30780388926&ir&clickid=V9CX3GQ8lxyLU2iwUx0Mo37AUkB1dQy9MULtR80&cm_mmc=aff-_-ir-_-59145-_-212653&ref=imprad59145&afn_sr=impact
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Also I have a copy  d:bYou cannot view this attachment.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

If you like true spy stories, Ben MacIntyre is the man. Really good books.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Trout Maharishi

Thanks for the suggestions and offer Muddy. I alreay have the Instant ID (rough shape from 35+ years in a vest) and Hatches books. The Mayfly guide was recommended as a more updated version but I'm not goning to pay $1000 for a fishing book at this point in my life.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

troutrus

Mushin

troutrus

Anthropocene