As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Beetle's Book and Word Thread

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, March 14, 2017, 10:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on March 15, 2017, 17:17:20 PM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 15, 2017, 14:20:08 PM
The percentage of American adults who read literature — any novels, short stories, poetry or plays — fell to at least a three-decade low last year, according to a new report from the National Endowment for the Arts.

In 2015, 43 percent of adults read at least one work of literature in the previous year. That's the lowest percentage in any year since NEA surveys began tracking reading and arts participation in 1982, when the literature reading rate was 57 percent

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/09/07/the-long-steady-decline-of-literary-reading/?utm_term=.3bcab8111266

I'll be damned!  Clinton won 232 of the 538 electoral votes in November, which is 43.1%, and only 43% of adults read at least one work of literature in 2015.  Now that is a parallel I can believe!

I disprove your demographic. I probably read a hundred books a year, and I wouldn't have voted for that conniving bitch if my life depended on it. :D
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

troutfanatic

Doug,
The blackwater book is good, but I think there is some sugar coating. Also, the story is nowhere near finished. They took a lot of shit for human rights abuses and extrajudicial killings. They went off the grid for a bit, and reemerged as "Academie."

They aren't the only dog in the fight. I'd say Wexford Group is far more interesting. They had some controversies too, but there's no book. Another PMC of interest is a company called Triple Canopy. Those books need to be written too.

Phil,
The Catton books are exceptional. I have an older one volume book that was published in the 1970's called The American Civil War by Catton. It is more of a coffee table book, with amazing photos, paintings and some of the most amazing battle maps I've ever seen. They are hand drawn in pen and ink and very detailed.

Alas, I have no time for recreational reading, because I am reading:

Ecology, the Economy of Nature by Ricklefs and Rilyea

Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy by Corey

Molecular Cell Biology by Lodish, et al.

Human Anatomy and Physiology by Mareib and Hoehm

why did I do this to myself again?  b';

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Yallerhammer on March 15, 2017, 17:23:48 PM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on March 15, 2017, 17:17:20 PM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 15, 2017, 14:20:08 PM
The percentage of American adults who read literature — any novels, short stories, poetry or plays — fell to at least a three-decade low last year, according to a new report from the National Endowment for the Arts.

In 2015, 43 percent of adults read at least one work of literature in the previous year. That's the lowest percentage in any year since NEA surveys began tracking reading and arts participation in 1982, when the literature reading rate was 57 percent

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/09/07/the-long-steady-decline-of-literary-reading/?utm_term=.3bcab8111266

I'll be damned!  Clinton won 232 of the 538 electoral votes in November, which is 43.1%, and only 43% of adults read at least one work of literature in 2015.  Now that is a parallel I can believe!

I disprove your demographic. I probably read a hundred books a year, and I wouldn't have voted for that conniving bitch if my life depended on it. :D

You didn't disprove shit!  I did not see your name on the list of NC Electoral College members, so you were part of the minority popular vote.  (smiley face)
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Beetle

Some grinders....

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

A classic (thanks Woolly)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dougfish

Got the Stonewall book. Had an elective class under Robertson at VT. What a gem.  'c;
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Beetle

One more.......worth the read:

Woolly Bugger

John reminded me that I happen to have a extremely rare counterfeit copy of Harry Middleton's Starlight Creek Angling Society, which I may be willing to loan, under penalty of death, to worthy individuals. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Beetle

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 15, 2017, 20:35:47 PM
John reminded me that I happen to have a extremely rare counterfeit copy of Harry Middleton's Starlight Creek Angling Society, which I may be willing to loan, under penalty of death, to worthy individuals. 

I scored a copy of that from this seedy guy hanging out in a coffee shop.......hmmmm

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Phil

I gotta do something about my bookshelves. This is just one of them --

Yallerhammer

Read this one recently, it was quite interesting. It's about the building of the railroad up the Swannanoa grade from Old Fort to Black Mountain in the late 1800s-the stretch of rail that finally linked western NC to the rest of the world. Over a hundred people died building the tracks for that short distance that takes about ten minutes to drive on I-40 now.

sanjuanwormhatch

I'm a big fan of fiction/literature too.  Go through phases and am currently in nonfiction but might pivot back and finish shadow country.

If you're really feeling deep, maaaaan, check out the My Struggle series.  The first three are by far my favorite and first one if I had to pick one.

Harry Middleton is amazing.  Damn he has a way of describing depression like few people can.

Yallerhammer

I liked ol' Harry. He was a hell of a writer, even if he was prone to considerable embellishment. I have a couple of his books on my shelf.

Aka

Currently reading the second book in the boarder trilogy. Well written prose and good story telling. Before this I had read some of the last Harrison that I hadn't read before and re-read a few of my favorites of his.

tomato can

Anything by McCarthy is superlative.  My favorite is the Orchard Keeper and if you want to laugh out loud like a hyena check out his book "Suttree".