Unlimited Everything Everglades....

Started by Woolly Bugger, November 18, 2020, 09:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

It's That time Again!

You cannot view this attachment.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Watch Donna capture pythons in the Everglades.

https://wapo.st/3L0MlWX

Donna Kalil was creeping toward the end of the levee, heading out of the swampy wilderness and back to civilization, when she spotted it. There along the canal, nearly invisible amid the brush, was the elusive tan and brown pattern she'd been after all night.

"Right there is one — python!" cried Kalil, 61, her voice rising above the honking frogs and chirping crickets of the Glades.

She threw her 1998 Ford Expedition (license plate: SNAKER) into park. Without a moment's hesitation, the professional snake hunter was out of the car and closing in on the creature — a scaly, fork-tongued Burmese python that, at seven feet long, was bigger than her.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Vibrant red insects return to Florida Everglades. They were once thought to be extinct

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Vibrant red caterpillars have been found clustered on plants at Everglades National Park and closer inspection has revealed it is not another invasive species in South Florida. The insects are a species of native butterfly once thought to be extinct, according to the National Park Service.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article279047944.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Florida pays python hunters to clear the Everglades. 10 years later, is it working?
The invasive snakes have reshaped the ecosystem, thanks to irresponsible owners dumping their pets in the swamp when they got too big or cumbersome to care for.

A decade ago, Florida came up with a unique way to tackle the problem. It sponsored a weeklong hunt for the pythons, drawing in would-be reptile slayers from around the world hoping for a chance at the cash prize.

The original python challenge a decade ago netted a mere 68 pythons. This year, around a thousand registrants captured and killed 209 pythons.

On Friday, the state honored the winners of the 2023 competition, which lasted from Aug. 4 to the 13th. The big winner was Paul Hobbs, who hunts with his father (2021′s top prize winner) Tom, his 12-year-old son Dominic and his brother-in-law Austin Park. The team slayed 20 snakes in one week and took home the top prize of $10,000.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/environment/2023/09/15/florida-burmese-python-hunter-snake-everglades-invasive/

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Study: Alligators Are Eating Baby Pythons in the Everglades
According to a recent survey, some of the Everglades' native species are fighting back against the python invasion

Invasive pythons have been invading South Florida's swamps since the 1970s—and in recent years, the snakes have been spreading north. In the process, they've drastically reduced native mammal populations in the Everglades and elsewhere. But a new study is cause for optimism.

The study, which was conducted by the U.S. Geological Survey and other partners, looked at the mortalities of 19 baby pythons between May 2021 and February 2022. The goal of the research was to learn more about the life cycles of the invasive serpents—which are notoriously hard to track or monitor in the wild.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/conservation/alligators-are-eating-invasive-pythons-in-florida/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Hybrid Pythons Are Winning The Invasive Snake War In Florida Everglades

nterspecies breeding is creating a slippery problem in Florida's conflict with invasive pythons. A few years ago, scientists discovered that a significant number of the giant snakes stalking the Everglades are hybrids created as a result of breeding between two different species: Burmese pythons (Python bivittatus) and Indian pythons (P. molurus). Remarkably, these hybrids appear to be even better-adapted to this new environment than their separate parent species.

https://www.iflscience.com/hybrid-pythons-are-winning-the-invasive-snake-war-in-florida-everglades-71189
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

That's a while lotta snake!

Florida men capture massive 17-foot, 200-pound invasive python in Everglades
Burmese python caught in Big Cypress National Preserve weighed 197.9 pounds, wildlife officials say

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-men-capture-massive-17-foot-200-pound-invasive-python-everglades
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Pollution taints even the most remote parts of Everglades, canoe journey reveals

One hundred and twenty five years ago, explorer Hugh Willoughby became the first non-Native American to cross the southern Everglades from the Gulf of Mexico to the Atlantic. He traveled with a guide by canoe, and kept notes on water quality in his journal.

In 2022, a group of adventurers, including University of Florida scientist Tracie Baker, canoed the very same extremely remote 130-mile path. Along the way, Baker took much more sophisticated water tests at 12 sites spanning the width of the Everglades, from the Harney River at the Gulf of Mexico, to the Miami River.

Her goal was to not only compare water in 2022 with 1897, but to assess the intrusion of modern chemicals into some of the most remote wilderness in America.

Though her final report is still in the works and has yet to be peer-reviewed, Baker recently revealed some surprising data in her preliminary assessment.

https://www.wuwf.org/florida-news/2024-02-13/pollution-taints-even-the-most-remote-parts-of-everglades-canoe-journey-reveals
me -There's a season?

trout-r-us

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on February 14, 2024, 15:51:24 PMPollution taints even the most remote parts of Everglades, canoe journey reveals

One hundred and twenty five years ago, explorer Hugh Willoughby became the first non-Native American to cross the southern Everglades from the Gulf of Mexico to the Atlantic. He traveled with a guide by canoe, and kept notes on water quality in his journal.

In 2022, a group of adventurers, including University of Florida scientist Tracie Baker, canoed the very same extremely remote 130-mile path. Along the way, Baker took much more sophisticated water tests at 12 sites spanning the width of the Everglades, from the Harney River at the Gulf of Mexico, to the Miami River.

Her goal was to not only compare water in 2022 with 1897, but to assess the intrusion of modern chemicals into some of the most remote wilderness in America.

Though her final report is still in the works and has yet to be peer-reviewed, Baker recently revealed some surprising data in her preliminary assessment.

https://www.wuwf.org/florida-news/2024-02-13/pollution-taints-even-the-most-remote-parts-of-everglades-canoe-journey-reveals

Based on the principle that shit flows downhill, we should never be surprised by our findings in the lowest lying areas of a swamp.

You cannot view this attachment.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

streamereater_101691

Word on the street is okeechobee gates will open this weekend  b';

trout-r-us

When man has finally destroyed it, we will be left with history, books, images, and a few other forms of memorabilia to remember it by.  As the unwoke disallow the history, burn the books, the photos, and in anyway they can the destroy the other memories, perhaps some of the more permanent objects will survive.
Maybe my grandchildren will find this in their attic in the next century and wonder just what it represented.
You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment. 
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?