As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Unlimited Dead People; R.I.P

Started by Woolly Bugger, October 04, 2017, 11:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Denny Laine, band member of Moody Blues and Wings, dies at 79
With the Moody Blues, he sang lead on the group's breakthrough hit, "Go Now"

Denny Laine, a British singer, songwriter and guitarist who performed in an early, pop-oriented version of the Moody Blues and was later Paul McCartney's longtime sideman in the ex-Beatle's solo band Wings, died Dec. 5 in Naples, Fla. He was 79.

The cause was interstitial lung disease, according to an announcement on Laine's Instagram page by his wife, Elizabeth Hines.

Mr. Laine's death comes almost exactly 50 years after the release of McCartney's acclaimed "Band On the Run" album, on which Mr. Laine played guitar and provided backing vocals.

Mr. Laine was born Brian Frederick Arthur Hines on Oct. 29, 1944, in the Channel Islands and grew up in Tyseley, England. He changed his professional name in his early teens, in part in homage to pop singer Frankie Laine.

In 1964, around the time he turned 20, he joined Ray Thomas and Mike Pinder in forming the Moody Blues and sang lead on the group's breakthrough hit, "Go Now."

Full Obit; https://wapo.st/41bwziT
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Norman Lear, who brought social commentary to the sitcom, dies at 101
Archie Bunker, Maude Findlay and George Jefferson were among the characters he brought to America's living rooms

Norman Lear, the TV writer and producer who transformed the bland porridge of situation comedy into a zesty stew of sociopolitical strife and brutally funny speech and who gave the world such embattled comic archetypes as Archie Bunker, Fred Sanford, Maude Findlay and George Jefferson, died Dec. 5 at his home in Los Angeles. He was 101.

A family spokeswoman, Lara Bergthold, announced the death but did not provide an immediate cause.

Mr. Lear's entertainment career spanned the late 1940s to the 21st century, and he also found prominence in later life as a liberal political activist. But his legend was sealed in the 1970s, when he created a handful of shows that transformed the television medium into a fractious national town meeting and showcased the American family in all its hopes and dysfunctions.

https://wapo.st/41aTScv

This show was brilliant, the writing and the acting. Our family would always watch it together and i thought my dad was pretty much just like Archie...

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

trout-r-us

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Mary Weiss, lead singer of the 1960s pop group The Shangri-Las, has died at the age of 75, her record label said.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Always enjoyed Charles on Sunday Mornings although it took a while after he replaced Charles Kuralt

You cannot view this attachment.

https://wapo.st/3S8T0B3
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

I've been a fan of Bob's Red Mill products for decades!

You cannot view this attachment.

https://apple.news/AFe9u7lAPReSPWUD1GOjLSw

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Randy Sparks, who gave folk music a big choral sound, dies at 90
The New Christy Minstrels founded by Mr. Sparks became a steppingstone for a host of future stars including Kenny Rogers

Randy Sparks, a folk music maestro who crafted choral odes, ballads and ditties of droll wit such as "Saturday Night in Toledo, Ohio" during the 1960s folk revival and who nurtured a host of future stars including Kenny Rogers and John Denver, died Feb. 11 in San Diego. He was 90.

Mr. Sparks had health problems including heart trouble, said his son, Cameron Sparks. Mr. Sparks, who lived in Mokelumne Hill, Calif., was under medical care at his son's home.

Amid the range of folk and roots music that flourished before the rock revolution — from the activist strains of Pete Seeger to the pop-style sound of the Kingston Trio — Mr. Sparks flexed his versatility. He defied easy labeling as a songwriter and leader of troupes including the New Christy Minstrels and the Back Porch Majority.

https://wapo.st/42IHBg1
me -There's a season?

trout-r-us

COLLEGE PARK, Md. — Lefty Driesell, the Hall of Fame coach whose folksy drawl belied a fiery on-court demeanor that put Maryland on the college basketball map and enabled him to rebuild several struggling programs, died Saturday. He was 92.

https://www.npr.org/2024/02/17/1232270712/lefty-driesell-maryland-college-basketball-coach-dies
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

NC-based music legend Dex Romweber of Flat Duo Jets dies at age 57

https://wr.al/1RKA
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Roni Stoneman, the "first lady of the banjo," who picked her way into bluegrass and country music history as a member of the Stoneman Family band and found wider fame as an irascible performer on "Hee Haw," the down-home variety show, died Feb. 22 at her home in Murfreesboro, Tenn. She was 85.

https://wapo.st/4bW4lxl

me -There's a season?