News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

2017 Warm Water

Started by driver, March 05, 2017, 09:06:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

Lunchtime fun at the local pond

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Onslow

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on July 06, 2017, 17:29:05 PM

Keith, being that largemouth are more inclined to hit topwater than any species of viable gamefish in NC, why are you using clousers, particularly since you are the most determined topwater dude here?  Haul your ass out in that pond with a float tube, and show those bass whose boss with some foam frogs, and poppers!

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Onslow on July 08, 2017, 06:02:53 AM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on July 06, 2017, 17:29:05 PM

Keith, being that largemouth are more inclined to hit topwater than any species of viable gamefish in NC, why are you using clousers, particularly since you are the most determined topwater dude here?  Haul your ass out in that pond with a float tube, and show those bass whose boss with some foam frogs, and poppers!

Fished topwater first, no bites, went back around with clouser and boom! Got the job done!

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Al

Doing my duty to make sure our current crop of vets don't feel neglected - Took my Wounded Warrior neighbor out fishing again yesterday. First time with a fly rod. Got the next Joan Wulff in the making.

croaker

-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Woolly Bugger

2017 – 64

So I was fishing a local semi-private pond looking for some bucketmouths and discovered that there were tailing carp in there too. I had seen them cruising out in the middle, but they were right up on the bank mudding around. With some high shrubs and trees in the way they weren't easy targets. I managed to get a couple of cast off to the five that were in close enough to get to. The muddy water in the pond makes it difficult if not impossible to see them eat and all I managed to do was spook them out into deeper water. I called it quits mostly due to the heat and decided that I needed to  step into some cool water to cool off. So I hit the road only to be turned back by a work call. While at lunch they called again and canceled the rush work and said wait until the project is reviewed by legal. Back on the road I made it to the river by 5. Two spin guys were coming off and they reported catching "Lots". Nothing of size but "Lots". 
Straight off I got a couple of hits on the wiggle minnow, "this could be good" I thought. I missed a few more and was beginning to get a bit frustrated. Had a follow by a big boy who chased the fly out of the pool but didn't strike. Damn. Had another "citation" fish smash the fly and come completely out of the water throwing the hook before falling back in a belly flop splash. Damn, damn. At this point I'm thinking about selling all this fly fishing junk! Can't buy a fish. Missed a few more and then I saw a nice on hit the surface. I move into position and sling the fly into the pool. The fish exploded on it and went airborne, but shook the hook free. Damn, Damn, Damn.

Drove home with a spectacular sunset in the rearview, might try for carp again today... maybe some more wet wading in the new too...

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

@Al, we all can see why you volunteer!   -0-
me -There's a season?

DRIFTS

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

Dougfish

George Clinton? High five!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Fishbug

Topwater smalljaws out of the Roanoke.

Dee-Vo

Right on. I should've kept the pressure on the smallies.

troutfanatic

Quote from: Dee-Vo on August 05, 2017, 21:02:24 PM

For a change. I think I have caught more bass and different species of bass this year, than any previous year since I gave up spinning gear. I am probably close to triple digits on smallmouth this year from all my trips up north, but I don't think I have caught one over 13" this year. Same goes with Largemouth, caught plenty this year, but I have yet to break 4 pounds.

That said, if I can ever get my academic life unfucked, you and I should go hit the Uwharrie. Perhaps you can also wrangle up that reclusive guy that lives near you and get him in on it. He seems to be more familiar with the waters around there than I am.

Onslow

Quote from: troutfanatic on August 06, 2017, 09:55:07 AM
Quote from: Dee-Vo on August 05, 2017, 21:02:24 PM

For a change. I think I have caught more bass and different species of bass this year, than any previous year since I gave up spinning gear. I am probably close to triple digits on smallmouth this year from all my trips up north, but I don't think I have caught one over 13" this year. Same goes with Largemouth, caught plenty this year, but I have yet to break 4 pounds.

That said, if I can ever get my academic life unfucked, you and I should go hit the Uwharrie. Perhaps you can also wrangle up that reclusive guy that lives near you and get him in on it. He seems to be more familiar with the waters around there than I am.

Hopefully i'll be back in business soon.  I've been helping my parents manage their affairs, clutter & whatnot in preparation for a move from Loserburg NC to central Texas for the last couple months.  Just got back from TX this past week.  Got a troop committee meeting today.

I'm down for a float on the U, but Dee don't flote.  I want to take my reclusive arse up to a river in Floyd county for a solo overnight escapade.

troutfanatic

Yep. Enjoy the parents while you have them. I lost mine far too young.
As for floating, I have a two man hard bottom raft that can accept a motor. I don't have a motor though. It would probably do well up there. I am not much of a floater either (ask Al.) It's about to get a shit ton of rain over the next week.