As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Hey there

Started by Pastor Ben, January 24, 2017, 12:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hcrum87hc

Quote from: Grannyknot on January 25, 2017, 16:02:34 PM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on January 25, 2017, 09:38:00 AM
Pleased by all of you!!  It appears this gentleman has been greeted with understanding and genuine respect.  The responses have warmed my heart.  BUT, why no .........

"post up some fish, tits, weed, beer and food" or
"have you ever had your penis in or around the lips of a carp?" or
"Not bad. Nice triple tail. But, no boobs, booze or carp....." or
"I enjoy pictures. I enjoy reports. Fish. Scenery. Foliage.  Falls. Sketchiness.  Women. Dope. Alcohol." or
"He's got .... No tits or booze though."or
"GTFO"?

Is it bad form to respond as such to a known man of faith?  Do the religious and religious ideas get a free pass?  The pastor's intro was very good, but would the replies have the same gentle feel if he told us he was a Scientologists or an atheist or a _______ ?

Just trying to figure out you peckerwoods.

Just like diamond dave's ninja school taught us,
"you don't go ninjering nobody that don't need ninjerin"

Wiser words have never been spoken.
Jeremiah 17:7

jwgnc

I used to play golf with a pastor. No one ever told him sexual jokes and he loved that I would offered them.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Dee-Vo

My ex-father-in-law was a pastor. He was a lying bastard who would take money from his own family.

I've got a best friend that has turned "Man of God". If you only KNEW the shit he once did......and probably still does.

troutfanatic

I worked for the Diocese of Pittsburgh while I took a break from the active Army and went to college. I had a priest I worked for who, for all practical purposes shall be named Paddy in this thread. He liked to golf and he liked to drink. He was a stand up dude. I was not raised with a religion. My parents were 60's radicals and very non-religious. This dude defied every stereotype I ever heard about Catholicism. I thought to myself. these dudes aren't weirdos and pedos. I was right, but he didn't remain a priest much longer.

He was  -+; the church secretary and got defrocked. Now he's married to her.

Onslow

I was born and raised in a doomsday cult.  This place was a hoot.  While the adults were being bible-ized, the youth were smoking pot in the parking lot listening to Foghat.  Girls were getting fingered, kids were getting high, and some were doing burnouts up and down the adjacent road.  I do recall once when a visiting evangelist visiting to speak....my brother took his first hit of LSD during the sermon.

Nonbeliever here, but have fallen into the arms of a very friendly Baptist Church that quietly adopts agnostics as their own.   Big fan of any organization that provides a healthy habitat for troubled souls, and encourage community cohesion, and civility.  Anyone church that doesn't conform to the aforementioned rubric can go straight to hell.

troutfanatic

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Onslow on January 25, 2017, 20:30:55 PM
I was born and raised in a doomsday cult.  This place was a hoot.  While the adults were being bible-ized, the youth were smoking pot in the parking lot listening to Foghat.  Girls were getting fingered, kids were getting high, and some were doing burnouts up and down the adjacent road.  I do recall once when a visiting evangelist visiting to speak....my brother took his first hit of LSD during the sermon.

Nonbeliever here, but have fallen into the arms of a very friendly Baptist Church that quietly adopts agnostics as their own.   Big fan of any organization that provides a healthy habitat for troubled souls, and encourage community cohesion, and civility.  Anyone church that doesn't conform to the aforementioned rubric can go straight to hell.

Agreed. It's nice at times to maybe just congregate somewhere even though you think they're full of it. Also:

In west Philadelphia born and raised
On the playground where I spent most of my days
Chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool
And all shooting some b-ball outside of the school
When a couple of guys who were up to no good
Started making trouble in my neighborhood
I got in one little fight and my mom got scared
And said you're moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air

Jfey

Welcome Pastor Ben.   As other mentioned, have enjoyed your musings from the other site as well.

@Mudwall Gatewood 3.0.   Intros are not a "one size fits all" endeavor and there are no real rules other than if you act like a peckerwood, then you will get treated like one. 
Yup, going fishing

sanjuanwormhatch

Heard the very traditional Methodist minister at the church I try to but very much don't frequent tell the story of dropping his son off at college and meeting his pot smoking, grateful dead listening roommate.  It was a very funny story.  Preach had a very open mind about it surprisingly. 

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Jfey on January 26, 2017, 08:52:44 AM
Intros are not a "one size fits all" endeavor and there are no real rules other than if you act like a peckerwood, then you will get treated like one.

Nope.  I'm calling bullshit on this Buckeye declaration.  Before the last two new guys, I am damned sure most every intro elicited a 'post breasts and hooch' response or similar, and I don't recall any of the new folk acting like a peckerwood.   

I was purely bidding to get someone, any of you, to admit that we, as a people, are inclined to provide the Christian religious and religious ideas an accepting reception, with little or no reproach, or a free pass. 

No surprise, since around 45% of U.S. citizens believe the Adam and Eve story, and only 10% of Adam and Eve customers admit they shop at such businesses.

No cojones in our yam bag!!! 

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

bmadd

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on January 26, 2017, 10:58:49 AM

No surprise, since around 45% of U.S. citizens believe the Adam and Eve story, and only 10% of Adam and Eve customers admit they shop at such businesses.

This got me good

Jfey

Intros are not a "one size fits all" endeavor and there are no real rules other than if you act like a peckerwood, then you will get treated like one.

Nope.  I'm calling bullshit on this Buckeye declaration.  Before the last two new guys, I am damned sure most every intro elicited a 'post breasts and hooch' response or similar, and I don't recall any of the new folk acting like a peckerwood.   

I was purely bidding to get someone, any of you, to admit that we, as a people, are inclined to provide the Christian religious and religious ideas an accepting reception, with little or no reproach, or a free pass. 

No cojones in our yam bag!!!

Meh.   I'm sticking with my stance.    Also, mood plays into it.   For example, if the Reincarnation of Ben Ben(not to be confused with Pastor Ben) has a bad day at work or just got done getting emasculated by his significant other, then he would likely come on here and demand boobs to make him feel better.

Pastor Ben was also a known quantity and not some peckerwood from Bath County :D
Yup, going fishing

Dee-Vo

This seems to be the case.

In my opinion, this is nothing but a preconceived notion that is more or less brain-washed into our thinking starting from square one as infants.

Think about it:

We see an elderly gentleman or lady, a handi-capped person, an openly religious person, or maybe just a female in general. What do we do? Hold the door for them. Pick something up that they may have accidentally dropped. Afford them things you'd not even consider for others. Why? We have no idea what type of person they've been, what types of lives they've led, how many horrible things they have inflicted upon other truly innocent folks.

Religion is no different. We just have that idea hammered into us for so long via parenting, television, radio, social media, etc. We know no different than to freely offer them more chivalry than others. Same with God. We look to a higher being when things are rough. That's what everyone else does, right? So we follow suit. We request prayer from people when things are going downhill, or when we're unwell.

So, yea. They receive more of a free pass in many scenarios than most. Why wouldn't they? Because if you failed to do so then you'd be frowned upon by any bystander.

Monkey see, monkey do.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Jfey on January 26, 2017, 13:25:00 PM
Meh.   I'm sticking with my stance.    Also, mood plays into it.   For example, if the Reincarnation of Ben Ben(not to be confused with Pastor Ben) has a bad day at work or just got done getting emasculated by his significant other, then he would likely come on here and demand boobs to make him feel better.

Pastor Ben was also a known quantity and not some peckerwood from Bath County :D

I find both truth and 'alternative facts' (in the words of Trumpites, but I doubt Kellyanne ever read George Orwell before she used the term) in your statements.  I concur, mood plays a role, but referring to your example and your selection of specimen, in order for one to be emasculated the person has to hold a male identity or own a pair. 

Now, for being a known quantity, my abilities and characteristics should be well known; I am full of bullshit.  It is the quality of that bullshit you should question. 

Welcome again Pastor Ben.  Sorry to overrun your solid intro.   
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Jfey

QuoteI find both truth and 'alternative facts' 

This is true of 90% of the posts on here.  Just read at TR

QuoteNow, for being a known quantity, my abilities and characteristics should be well known; I am full of bullshit.  It is the quality of that bullshit you should question.   

Which is why you don't get a free pass.

Quotereferring to your example and your selection of specimen, in order for one to be emasculated the person has to hold a male identity or own a pair 

I used Ben as an example, but could have used any of the frequenters of the low-rent district.

Yup, going fishing