• Welcome to Pretentious Snobby Bastard Fly Fishing!. Please login or sign up.
March 22, 2019, 23:41:03 pm

News:

Hatchery Supported Trout Waters Closed to Fishing March 1- April 6

+- +-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Stats ezBlock

Members
Total Members: 2305
Latest: gpierce18
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 144292
Total Topics: 13912
Most Online Today: 627
Most Online Ever: 832
(March 08, 2019, 14:41:24 pm)
Users Online
Members: 28
Guests: 475
Total: 503

St. Thomas/Johns advice?

Started by Dougfish, January 10, 2017, 11:47:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougfish

January 10, 2017, 11:47:15 am Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 18:03:00 pm by Dougfish
First things, first. I suck.There, I saved you from telling me.

The wife and I are headed to the US VI in a month. Gonna have 4 full days. Planning on packing the 9 wt. and trying my hand at some bones and small tarpon.
I have no clue what I'm doing. A good guide runs about $600.  :o
I'm here for the stellar, but cheap advice.
Probably just gonna wing it. I'll need to tie up some flies and figure out prevailing winds and such.
We're renting a car and we'll be out and about a lot, so I'll have lots of options on where to fish.
-0-
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? " <br />-Oddball, 1970

Woolly Bugger

January 10, 2017, 12:00:31 pm #1 Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 21:42:09 pm by Woolly Bugger
Be sure to stay out late and check out the local bars, carry lots of cash, 100s, and flash them around, you'll be sure to get good service  --- might want to read Mexico Returns before you go !

If you want to find a cheaper guide, go to the bars early in the morning and look around back and you'll find them sleeping, don't worry if they looked passed out, they are just resting for the long day ahead. Wave a hundred dollar bill under their noses and they'll pop right up. For no extra they will take your wife for a tour of the real St. Thomas, non of the tourist crap, but real Caribbean living....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"

me - "There's a season?"

Onslow

January 10, 2017, 18:19:54 pm #2 Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 18:26:55 pm by Onslow
Thoughts, and advice?  Leave the rods and home.   When the bar is on the ground, it is impossible to fail.  When on vacation, the task of trying to work in fishing time causes me stress.  To hell with all that crap. 

Buy/rent a spear gun, and kill something for dinner.  That would surely be gratifying.  Native berry/fruit/nut hunting might also be interesting if such opportunities exist.  The trees at the Keys fascinated me, as well as the birds.  I bet there are some cool and groovy trees down there.  Shit, I'd go full on Dr. Livingston.

Lay down some chocolate bar while yer down there -+; 

Dougfish

LOL. You guys don't disappoint.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? " <br />-Oddball, 1970

Woolly Bugger

January 10, 2017, 21:42:30 pm #4 Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 20:46:22 pm by Woolly Bugger
If you want to catch fish I'd say the guide is the way to go.. $600 for a guide with a boat isn't too bad, and your wife can go along for the ride.. or go to the beaches on St. John... like this dude points out...

I think St. Thomas beaches you have to pay for entry... and there is a lot of sketchy dudes there too..

I googled up some chit for you too...

http://diybonefishing.com/2016/06/20/u-s-virgin-islands/

This is where you want to go..

https://www.google.com/maps/@18.3668838,-64.7298527,1178m/data=!3m1!1e3

https://goo.gl/maps/NQf13kAohvq

Is this the guy you were looking at?

http://arawakexp.com/fish/bonefish/

me - "There's a season?"

Dougfish

Thanks. You and I found the same chit. Trying to figure out best February beach targets.

driver

2oz sinker, some hooks, a spinning rod, frozen shrimp, and lots of beer. That should get the job done.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

"Enjoy every sandwich." Warren Zevon

tomato can

Muddy your too funny but not necessarily useful. 

Doug I did a search a couple of years ago when my wife threatened to take me there.  There was not a ton of info when I searched a lot of it was don't bother.  But I do remember there is some flats on the undeveloped one.  But pretty challenging.  I hope you get more help than I did on my query about fishing in Maine.   

itieuglyflies

Once again I see the BRFF Travel agency comes through  for its members...for future trips I learned to leave the wifey at home, forget fishing and drink a lot.
All good thoughtful advice.

Dougfish

All of this should contribute to a good skunking.

Woolly Bugger

Yo bro, dis here iz what yo' first trip will peep like sho 'nuff!

me - "There's a season?"

Woolly Bugger

me - "There's a season?"

Dougfish

I remember reading that. Lovely.

Big J

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end." Hemingway

+-Recent Topics

Trout W/Ramps by Fishbug
Today at 20:03:05

Annual BRFFF Fly SWAP! Tiers Choice - Due on the Ides of March! by Dougfish
Today at 19:55:49

Music for the old by itieuglyflies
Today at 18:33:44

Phil and Johnny Lightning by Stone-Man
Today at 12:03:31

Video of the day... by Woolly Bugger
Today at 05:46:12

Unlimited bug ID by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0