News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

What else are y'all killing?

Started by JMiller, December 23, 2016, 23:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMiller

Anyone bust a grouse yet?

I'm going to try that (in vain Im sure) next week.

So far we've gotten some brush rats with $1500 shotguns.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

And we participated in the waterfowl equivalent of redd snagging browns when we went and pond jumped these mallards.

Oh yea, up to my knees in cow piss in Orvis waders.

Life in the south.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

Michael Toris

Killed a few ducks.

Haven't killed a grouse in over 10 years. Damn I miss it. Wish they were enough to really hunt em. I'd rather grouse hunt over a good dog than eat when I'm hungry. Damn I miss that dog.....

ryguy

No grouse killed.  Went out once but didn't find any.  We will be searching the mountains again in January.  Focused on the woodcock for a few hunts, that's about the only way I can get my dog on birds.  Will try to find a few quail after the holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Onslow

Tons of woodcock in the loblollies/cut-overs of Franklin and Warren Counties of NC.

The Three Top-Elk Knob-Mt Jefferson area of Ashe County seems to have the most robust population of grouse in NC.  As the Elk Knob state park expands, the public hunting area contracts.

Dee-Vo

I've ran across a few grouse in Wilkes & Alleghany. Also, a pheasant in Virginia, which was a first, although I doubt it was wild.

Stone-Man

I like grilled bunny.
How come Will does'nt have on waders ? Or is he smart and let Yawl get knee deep in liquid cow shit.  :o
There were 5-6 bears killed on this mountain during the season

JT

JMiller

Well it's kind of a long story JT, but more or less me and the other guy in waders did a float on the Collins to try and jump some woodies, We never saw the first one in a 6 hour trip. It was about 45 degrees and windy on the river. Had to have em. So later we met up with Will and Joe to check the farm ponds and we found some mallards. Never changed out of the waders and it's a good thing cause I had to go in for a couple ducks.

Next time we do that I'm gonna bring a baitcaster to retrieve ducks. Cow shit doesn't clean up real easy.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

natureboy

Caught this guy in October.  Been a slow season otherwise, hope to add a couple deer and geese before the seasons close...

driver

Dem pronghorn are little tough, but delicious. Been many years since I've eaten one of those.

sanjuanwormhatch

Plant to go on a grouse hunt here in a week or two.  Have very low expectations but I do hope the fires and some water will make next season slightly improved.

Grannyknot

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on December 28, 2016, 10:20:20 AM
Plant to go on a grouse hunt here in a week or two.  Have very low expectations but I do hope the fires and some water will make next season slightly improved.

my understanding is that the fires killed a very small % of the canopy trees.
guessing it will be 3-4 years before we see any benefits (if any) to the grouse populations in the heavily burned areas.

read a great article the other day about how for the grouse to have benefited, the wildfires would have needed to be managed as controlled burns, rather than contain & extinguish.  Since there had been such a long dry period, fears of highly combustible fuel sources along with wind, caused the fire fighters to deal with everything much differently.
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

sanjuanwormhatch

I am very far from an expert so I will defer to you.  I do wish the USFS would do a better job of managing but I imagine some organizations that I am a member of make that hard for them.  Tough spot.

Big J

http://timberdoodle.org/demo/mattaponi-wildlife-management-area-virginia

I was trying to find the Grouse Management Area up west of Harrisonburg and ran across this article.

Big J

Grannyknot

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on December 28, 2016, 12:16:06 PM
I am very far from an expert so I will defer to you.  I do wish the USFS would do a better job of managing but I imagine some organizations that I am a member of make that hard for them.  Tough spot.

i'm nowhere near an expert.  just some info from an article in tn sportsman journal the other day.
I've shot 2 grouse in the last 5 years.   :'(
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.