News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

best fishing in north carolina

Started by larrybug, May 26, 2006, 19:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larrybug

hey. this is larrybug. i have been living in blueridge georgia but i am planning to move closer to camp lejeune. i want to stay close enough to lejuene to see my marine son on his weekends off. how close is good fishing to lejuene on the virgina north carolina border?

Woolly Bugger

i'd say it's a double haul....
better switch to bass or the salt....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

larrybug

hey i grew up on bass. matured on redeye. and am real stuck on trout. i know good fishing is a hike from the coast but how far away is good water?

tw5270

I live about 70 miles from Jacksonville, (northwest) and it's a good 4 hours to the closest trout in NC. The Smith in VA is maybe a bit closer. I have had tto start doing a lot more warmwater fishing since gas prices shot up.

streamer

The Smith River is near Bassett, Va. Mapquest Jacksonville to Bassett, and that's your closest trout water. Plenty of good warmwater fishing near you, though. TW5270 can point you toward the good water. So can Backwoods Joe.

Good Luck!
Streamer
Remember...We all live downstream.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: streamer on May 27, 2006, 17:56:52 PM
The Smith River is near Bassett, Va. Mapquest Jacksonville to Bassett, and that's your closest trout water. Plenty of good warmwater fishing near you, though. TW5270 can point you toward the good water. So can Backwoods Joe.

Good Luck!
Streamer

Total Est. Time: 4 hours, 40 minutes     Total Est. Distance: 252.53 miles

= Double Haul
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

larrybug

hey jacksonville sounds bleak for trout. i was hoping to live about one hundred miles inland to be in between lejuene and trout water.  what are my choices for that range in nc or va? thanks for all of the replies.  and what books cover the streams of each state?

flyman

Total Est. Time: 4 hours, 40 minutes     Total Est. Distance: 252.53 miles

Less 100 miles=152.53 Great saltwater and warmwater fishing in that part of the state, but I'm afraid trout water is quite a ways inland, Here's some basic info to give you some idea of the trout fishing opportunities in the state.

http://www.ncfishandgame.com/trout_fishing/north_carolina_trout_destinations.php

QuotePosted by: trout-r-us 
They also taste a whole lot better and if you decide to keep a couple to eat, the other fishermen don't talk shit about you like they do in the mountains.

In your case T-R-U we might make an exception ;)

Yea, I'm redneck, so what!

larrybug

hey thanks for all the response. i don't mind living 100 miles or so from lejeune. i am looking for a tourist type community to live in. what towns near trout water are touristy or second home weekend areas. or how about towns with a lot of antique shops for tourist. i guide and backpack to remote areas. i also posted for info on stream guide books for va and nc. what books should i study.

whew that was long winded
thanks
larrybug

tw5270

Larry,
Even at 100 miles from Legune you are a long way away from trout. :(
Look at a map of NC, find Jacksonville, thats Legune. One hundred miles north west you will be in the area of Raleigh, still three hours from trout in most cases.
If you try Fayetteville you will be on the 95 corridor and be able to head north to VA. Not sure how long a drive it is to the Smith, maybe AL will see this and let us know. At least 3 hours I'm sure probably more.
When you get here we will not be too far apart and I would be happy to share gas and driving anytime you want to go out to the mountains. ;D

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: larrybug on May 29, 2006, 11:31:44 AM
hey thanks for all the response. i don't mind living 100 miles or so from lejeune. i am looking for a tourist type community to live in. what towns near trout water are touristy or second home weekend areas. or how about towns with a lot of antique shops for tourist. i guide and backpack to remote areas. i also posted for info on stream guide books for va and nc. what books should i study.

whew that was long winded
thanks
larrybug

Camuto, Christopher.  A Fly Fisherman's Blue Ridge. New York,
     Henry Holt and Company, 1992

Jacobs, Jimmy. Trout Streams of the Southern Appalachia: Fly-Casting in
     Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, and Tennessee.
Woodstock, VT: 
     Backcountry Publications, 1994

Kirk, Don.  Smoky Mountains Trout Fishing Guide.  Birmingham, AL,
     Menasha Ridge Press, 1993

Middleton, Harry. On the Spine of Time : A Fly Fisher's Journey Among Mountain Streams, Trout, and People
     Pruett Pub, 1997

Check out this page also for more titles....

http://www.kbrcomm.com/btwc/flyfishingtravel.html

me -There's a season?

Bloy

The salt water speckled trout is a delicious tablelfare and a very good fighter, just be careful of their cottony soft mouths. they are quite beautiful indeed. I've caught a 'million' of 'em. Their cousin the grey trout is tasty as well.   8)
Barry
Times fun when you're having flies.
...Kermit

larrybug

hey   i already have all of those books (all are classics even in georgia) i was hoping for a regional book.
thanks for all of the info. i noticed patrick county virgina looked interesting on the tu region three map. anyone fish around there?  also i still want to know about a tourist town or antique shopping or second home resort type town in trout country.i love brook tout and recently fished the big snowbird in north carolina. i have been living near the noontootla in north georgia and fish it a lot.
i fish at least two hundred days a year, more if my business doesn't get in the way. what are the good back country destinations in north carolina trout water that are north of the smokies?
tHANKS LARRYBUG

badankles

here's a link to NC trout water map by NCWRC.  click on the county names for map and details.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg03_Fishing/pg3a.htm#trout

pick yourself up an NC tourist guide (like one from AAA) then voila, you should have a good idea of the areas your looking for ("...tourist town or antique shopping or second home resort type town in trout country...")  NC is pretty wide or long from points East and West.  even 100 miles west of jacksonville will still leave you a long drive East to trout water, unless 4-5 hrs. are not considered long drive for you.

i'm from the raleigh area, which isn't great if for trout fishing (2.5-3 hrs to the closest water), but i'd have to say, it's quite convenience for day trips of either mountains or saltwater, or points North and South.  warmwater fishing is of abundance if you have a boat or sufficient floatation craft.  bank fishing is a bit limited from personal experience.

when's a newbie no longer a newbie...

Woolly Bugger

• Asheville
  • Brevard
  • Little Switzerland
  • Boone
  • Mt. Airy

for starters....

me -There's a season?