Smith River Action Alert

Started by Dougfish, September 12, 2016, 10:28:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougfish

Dear friends of the Smith,

I'm writing you because you probably fish the Smith River in Virginia. The Smith has a lot of challenges. It is a 30 mile trout tailwater that has existed for over 60 years. This is Henry County's only stocked trout water and has been managed by the state from the onset.  Currently, decisions are being made concerning generation on the Smith. Decisions concerning the waterway affect us all and public input is critical to ensuring our natural resources and outdoor recreational assets are protected.

Last year, there was an announcement that the Dan River Basin Association (DRBA) brokered an agreement with the Corps of Engineers (dam owner) and Dominion Power (hydropower operator) to have four hour generation with one turbine on both Saturdays and Sundays. The generation occurred from 10 am to 2 pm and sent a slug of water downstream at 650 cfs and greater. The goal was to increase paddling recreation on the Smith and thus economic growth. See the linked news release: http://www.henrycountyva.gov/news/details/id/67

If you will notice the list of stakeholders involved in the 2015 discussions did not include any representatives of the fishing community or the state's fish and game (VDGIF) biologists. Nor did they consider the negative economic impact of the loss of anglers. They do mention the flows will provide cold water that will benefit the fishery downstream. We and VDGIF have been asking for a 1-2 hour pulse of cold water on summer Sundays for 10-15 years and have always been told that was impossible. Now we get releases for 4 hours in the middle of the day, both weekend days, in every month? It is the biologists' contention that the fall, winter and spring releases are detrimental to the fishery as well as the length of the proposed summer releases. Many of us are paddlers, too. We think the best solution is a compromise that benefits all, including the high-value tailwater fishery..
As you may know, the powerhouse suffered a serious fire earlier this year and regular generation has not yet resumed. When repairs are complete, we need to do everything in our power to ensure the weekend releases do not resume as they were before.

We are asking you today to send your comments to the stakeholders and let them know how much you value the fishery and that you would like:

To see one day of generation, preferably Sunday.
    To see it reduced to 3 hours.
    To see it for June - September only.
    To have a fishing representative and VDGIF included in all flow-related discussions.

Please add a personal touch to the letter.

We will pool these letters and share them with appropriate stakeholders and decision-makers. 

Sincerely,
Doug Jessie , President, Smith River Chapter of Trout Unlimited
Adam Irving Jr., President, Nat Greene Fly Fishers
David Holladay, President, Roanoke Valley Chapter of Trout Unlimited

http://www.tu.org/action-center?vvsrc=%2fcampaigns%2f47724%2frespond
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

natureboy

Done.  Thanks for the hard work on this Doug!

5xTippett

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

A heartfelt thanks who all who submitted a personal response.  bd;0

But keep em coming. If you fish the Smith or sense the exclusion of the fishing and biology voice in the decision making, please help out and send a response.
The combined responses will be sent by national TU to local, state and national legislators. Business, utility, and community stakeholders, also.
DRBA facilitated a survey, but how, or will, they share it with these folks? And it was narrow focused and under publicized.
A personal response from you is meaningful, real, genuine, passionate, and not just a numbered response in a survey.
Don't be afraid of sending a second response if you want to relay any new thoughts or feelings. Fisherman buy licenses to fish, paddlers do not have to pay to play. And you can't make a 31 mile trout tailwater in your backyard from scratch anymore, but sure can ruin it with poor management.

And you NC TU members, contact members of your Exec. Comm. and tell them they should throw in their support. So far, they have not given their blessing to an email blast of this call to action to their members. It's hard to believe, but true.

Thanks again.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Dougfish

Poke!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Dougfish

Deadline to respond is Oct. 31. Thanks to those that have or will!  -+;
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

rford