News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Curious?

Started by Yallerhammer, August 23, 2016, 17:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishhead

spin tackle in surf and gear offshore. nothing but fly gear in last 6-7 years in freashwater.
fishhead

tomato can

I love fishing with a bream buster with minnows for crappie, catalpa worms and crickets for bream, red wigglers for robin, squid for croakers and one of my cousins is trying to get me to fish with him for catfish with pool noodles.

Devinsdad

Haven't fished anything but a fly in years.  Probably 15 or more.

Dougfish

Started back to fishing 10 years ago. Got a ultralight spin outfit that has seen 5-10 uses. All fly otherwise. Mostly glass now. Mostly vintage.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

NCsporksman

^Damn dude we had no idea (jerking off monkey symbol)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Woolly Bugger

Bloodworms and cut bait for stripers, rebel craw for smallies ; I am guilty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Onslow

The only two freshwater species where gear is preferred are Spotted Bass and Musky.  My wrists and elbows sustain enough wear and tear at work and simply do not have enough left to throw chickens for Musky.  Spotted Bass have been the most frustrating species to catch on a flyrod in the Yadkin basin, particularly those of citation size.  The Spots in the Yaddy tend to bump, then slurp.  Big chrome or white husky jerks or white Booyah spinnerbaits are the only lures that have consistently delivered with larger specimens.

I don't bother with salt with either gear or long rod. 

Onslow

As for smallmouth, a little sink tip with a #4 woolly, or an Intruder works better than any speedcrawl, jig tube, fat albert jig, or even Rapalas.  Smallies don't do topwater in the Yaddy watershed. 

RiverbumCO

I can still throw a baitcaster.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

rbphoto

What is a spinning reel?

Or a baitcaster?

Last non-fly rod was a Zebco 33 . . .
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Stone-Man

Onslow,
Lake Norman has a pretty fair population of spots in it now. I have caught spots on a fly rod that approached 3 lbs.  Usually in Late March or April fishing a small streamer around boat docks

JT

troutfanatic

I have a 4 weight that I take the fly reel off and put on a zebco UL4 underspin. You can fling spinner or a little rebel a hundred yards for smallies.
I also use gear for walleye.

puddlejockey

Hideho, all!

It's been a looong while since I've been on here !  I took a short sabbatical from the world of cyber fisher-dom;  but it's great to artificially see ya'll again!

It's my opinion, FWIW, that the vast majority of FF purists are a lot like guys that say they don't masterbait.   Yeah, I HAVE a Zebco, but I never need to use it....lol.

Me, I'll fish for it if it swims.   There's been many a day when I've floated with my 6wt in hand and my baitcaster in the boat.  (As for the other; there was this ONE time on the South Fork.....lol )

:banana072:
P.A.T.H. People Against Tree Hugging. "Just because they can't scream, doesn't mean they like it"

Yallerhammer

Quote from: troutfanatic on August 25, 2016, 16:18:43 PM
I have a 4 weight that I take the fly reel off and put on a zebco UL4 underspin. You can fling spinner or a little rebel a hundred yards for smallies.

x2 on the walleye. It's hard to vertical jig a Hopkins spoon 75' down with a fly rod.. :D
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

troutfanatic

Quote from: Yallerhammer on August 25, 2016, 16:59:13 PM
Quote from: troutfanatic on August 25, 2016, 16:18:43 PM

x2 on the walleye. It's hard to vertical jig a Hopkins spoon 75' down with a fly rod.. :D

Got a buddy up in PA, who pops in here once in awhile. He's got a creek that connects to the Monongahela near his house. The wallys come in to spawn in March and he pounds em with the fly rod. I grew up on the Allegheny and have probably caught more than I could ever count, but never got one on the fly. We'll see where I end up for my Master's degree... Hopefully Pitt. Wally will be back on the menu.