News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Curious?

Started by Yallerhammer, August 23, 2016, 17:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yallerhammer

I was just wondering how many of us are 100% fly-rod purists? I love fly fishing. But I also enjoy fishing for warmwater and saltwater fish with spinning and baitcasting tackle, and I also love running catfish jugs.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Dee-Vo

I've sold or given away all my spinning stuff for the most part. When I see guys using spinning gear now it always instantly reminds me of when kids are pond-side and reeling fish in like crazy and twisting that handle for dear-life. Of course a fly reel is the same, but different. 

I tried "limb-lining" once. Turtle central.

Aka

Although I haven't had an opportunity since I left San Diego, I dig running live baits on spin gear for dolphin, or just about anything.
I used a spin rod for half a day on smalleez up in Canada but didn't enjoy it so I switched by to my fly rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

driver

I don't freshwater fish anymore with gear. I don't find it as enjoyable.

I troll at the coast and bottom fish for cobia. And have been known to soak baits in the surf while drinkin beer.

Dougfish

My spinning gear is slight, rusty and neglected. My fly supply is flush, fresh, maintained and regularly used.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Jfey

I'm an occasional bait soaker in the salt but that about it.   I usually make a few casts with the spin gear after the kids get bored.  Nothing against it, just not very exciting for me.

Yup, going fishing

benben reincarnated

I didn't fish for 15 years, and it was all gear back then, then out of the blue I decided to pick up fly fishing for trout 5 years ago.  I had never fished for trout before that, let alone step in a mountain stream.  In the past couple of years I've done a bit of surf fishing with gear but I haven't reacquired any other gear gear. 

Big J

I haven't touched a spinning rod in a long time.  If I did though, it would be for musky.  But I think I'll stick with the fly. 

outdoorguy3

Floating people down the river fishing for Smallmouths, if you don't take a spinning rod you won't fish while rowing!  Have been on the water when couldn't buy a top water bite on the fly rod....I want to feel fish pull on my string so go to the spinning and soft plastics and that fixes that!

Catching trout for my 4 year old grandson on spinning gear and letting him reel them in works too!

Ralph :D :)
Life's about havin' FUN!!!

Grannyknot

Big blue line gill net guy here.
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

bmadd

Quote from: Grannyknot on August 24, 2016, 08:25:49 AM
Big blue line gill net guy here.

I'm just the opposite. Big time blue gill line net guy

BrookieHunter

My spinning rods have been collecting dust Ever since they outlawed the Berkeley trout worms on my beloved DH streams.

NCsporksman

I don't even bother to take a fly rod to the beach. I was hardcore gear until I was about 15, still can't bring myself to get rid of the baitcasters. Buzzbaits for bass in January is something to behold and given a spot on a boat I'd go.

bmadd

I was a big basscar guy until about 4 years ago. Sold off almost all of my gear and most of my tackle. Haven't touched any of it in three years. The only gear I've used is on a boat in the ocean. I surf fish with the fly rod in the mornings and then drink beer once it starts getting crowded.

Stone-Man

I do most of my spinning rod fishing on the coast. Since I fish Hatteras in the late fall,the wind blows every day and I am not setting in the house waiting for a calm day to throw a fly

JT