News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Spittle tells a story????

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, August 22, 2016, 09:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

With so much time on my hands, the mind and spirit tends to wonder all over the place.  Ideas and questions are dashing in and out faster than I can keep up.

Recently, within the last 6 months, I discovered my great-grandfather was full blooded Native American.  My grandfather was an illegitimate, taking his mother's name, so I have no idea of his dad's name or tribe. 

Have any of you searched your genetic lineage through one of those submit-your-spit services?  If so, info would be appreciated. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

Look at you trying to connect with your ancestors in your old age.  Be careful what prodding you do, sometimes ignorance is bliss.  There are some branches of my family tree that I have no interest in learning about.  Partially the branch where I have aunts younger than me.   

Onslow

Would you feel better if we held hands and did it together?

A submission of spit was a goal of mine this year.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Onslow on August 22, 2016, 10:14:44 AM

Yes, we can hold hands, if you promise not to try to Jingaling me!!!

Since submitting spit was a goal, have you researched the endeavor?

benben reincarnated

Let me know what shakes out of your research on possible services, I too was considering the DNA analysis.  I hit a few roadblocks on some branches of my tree and was hoping that could clear things up.  I at one time was told to look at the y-chromosome test through FamilyTreeDNA and something about autosomal DNA. The same person also told me to do a test with at least 37 markers/sites.  Way over my head.   

Grannyknot

I know a lot about my ancestors.  Its my uncle's hobby.
It wont surprise you to know that lots of people in my family were borderline retarded.

Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Dougfish

Quote from: Grannyknot on August 22, 2016, 12:59:10 PM
I know a lot about my ancestors.  Its my uncle's hobby.
It wont surprise you to know that lots of people in my family were borderline retarded.

I did not realize you could make those assumptions from genealogy research.
But I do know you. So......... :laugh:

It appears that I had quite a few prestigious and wealthy ancestors in Europe.
What in the fuck happened after that?  b';
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Aka

My fil is big into genealogy and had my daughter do one of those tests and the results were what I expected, mostly English, with one a big surprise. Somewhere way back there is either a bit of Greek or Italian on my side. The best possibility rests in my grandfather on my fathers side who was an orphan or it could also be any mailman going back generations.

I now invent family history for her depending on my mood. A few weeks back while eating eggplant parmesan for dinner I decided it was Italian and told her about her great, great grandmother, Mama Leone. How Mama Leone left a note on the door for her great grandfather, Sonny. The note said, "Sonny, move out to the country". Sonny, not being a strong reader thought the note said to move out of the country and that is how we got to America from the old country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRIFTS

Due to my rare negative blood type, and one of those Ancient Alien episodes, I must be from space alien origin  /'/
l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

rbphoto

Global genealogical mutts, all of us.

English, Irish, French.

Two presidents in the woodpile (and I could give 2 shits for politics), a couple of horse thieves, moonshiners, Kentuckians, Georgians, etc.

Northerners & Southerners from the War Between the States.

Lost half of the paternal line about 4 generations ago because we can't figure out great-great grandfather's complete name or DOB.

"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: rbphoto on August 23, 2016, 06:52:38 AM
Global genealogical mutts, all of us.

True, and I adore the idea of mix.

However, I would like to know if I have an ancestral lawful foot to stand on if I take scalps of or count coup on all the Trump devotees surrounding me.

Woolly Bugger

My mom has done the genealogy  thing old school/church records in Scotland and ancestry dot com tree goes back quite a way she's convinced there is royal blood involved. One relative was murdered for being a covenanter.

Not much know from dad's side his father came over after the great war from Galacia part of the Austrian Hungarian empire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Your honor, I am ?? percent Native American. 

On the night of August ?? of this year I was abruptly aroused from a deep sleep in my humble abode at 8 Grove Lane.  It was the Great Spirit, warning me that I had yet to fulfill my ancestral burdens or followed my ancestral path.  For 4 days and nights I rested atop Flag's Knob, without food and water, and listened to the Great Spirit.  She said our Biracial Great Father was correct when he addressed the latest graduates of Rutgers University.  "In politics and in life, ignorance is not a virtue."  Without any reservation, the Great Spirit directed that I no longer had to offer quarter to the ill-informed, no more free passes, and no more free lunches for the oblivious.  "Rid my lands of the unfeeling, the callous, the witless, and then you can take your place at the council fire," said the Great Spirit.

Therefore your honor, I rest my case.

She and I had a wonderful visit, but I forgot to ask her about my great grandfather and if the spit would be true. 

Onslow

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on August 22, 2016, 10:21:55 AM
Quote from: Onslow on August 22, 2016, 10:14:44 AM

Since submitting spit was a goal, have you researched the endeavor?

Not sure if extensive research is necessary.  I'm in it for genealogy info.  I'm not paying 23 and me to commoditize critical private info unrelated to genealogy. 

My primary motivation put one of my brother's yapping to rest.  My brother has convinced himself he's a Ashkenazi Jew, but sadly he is a blithering fool.  I'm perfectly fine being a pork eating gentile and have no interest in being a snoot.

Surnames can be informing and entertaining.  Most in my tree are habitational names such as Shrock or Dettweiller, and one which has a dubious meaning such as Bitche.  Most interestingly however is Beiler...."Beiler Name Meaning German (Alemannic): from Middle High German beigel, beile 'measuring stick' (Late Latin pagella), hence an occupational name for an inspector of measures or a maker of measuring sticks."  As many of you know, I measure everything, and then some.  My mother's maiden name is Beiler, and a favor that side of the family.

Dougfish

Good stuff, Ken!
My mother was a Painter, but it was Bender in Germany. Her mother was a Hite, shortened from Hight, which was Hecht in Germany. Most of our ancestors could not't spell or write. Names got changed in immigration logs,  army rolls, census rolls, etc.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006