News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

New River Smallmouth

Started by outdoorguy3, August 16, 2016, 07:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoorguy3

Folks, if y'all want to catch a smallmouth or two I suggest you head to the New River. Tim and I fished it again on Sunday. Fished the confluence down to 93 bridge. Fishing started off real slow but then picked up around 12 and it was pretty much game on from there on out. There was another lull right before the thunder shower showed up. Floated the confluence down to the 93 bridge. Water was a bit stained, North Fork had about 4 foot visibility and the New looked like it did two weeks ago when the folks from CFFC floated it on Sat.

We didn't catch the numbers that we have been catching , maybe because of the stained water, but the fish we caught we mostly quality fish. Caught 16's, 17's, 18's and one that may have pushed the 20 inch mark! We did catch a few smaller fish and a couple of 10" fish as well. We also caught the biggest Redeye I think I have ever seen
.....probably a pound of fish or better! JT, we would have taken a pic if not for the rain.

I wish I could get back up there next weekend but I have to be in Albany, Ga. for a 5 year old's birthday party.

You can bet I'll be on the river as much as I can be after that until the weather says it's time to start trout fishing again.

Iffin y'all think I'm blowin' smoke you can ask Jack/Peddler. I rowed him down the river two
weeks ago and he even caught fish.....eh Jack! The day Jack and I floated, Tim/mudpuppy had 25 or more before we had hit the half way point of the float! Caught most of em on top too!

See ya on da river,

Ralph ;) :D
Life's about havin' FUN!!!

benben reincarnated

Yeah, I'd say those were quality fish.   'c;

RiverbumCO

Surface or subsurface?

Grayshawn has been wanting to float near there so maybe we could coordinate and do a two boat float.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

Jfey

Damn, Jack caught fish?  They must be eager.   
Yup, going fishing

outdoorguy3

Quote from: Jfey on August 16, 2016, 11:11:41 AM
Damn, Jack caught fish?  They must be eager.   

Last trip we tried the top water for over 3 hours with no results, went to the soft plastics and that's when the action picked up.

Trip before most all the fish were on top.

Ralph :) :D
Life's about havin' FUN!!!

Onslow

I've never fished topwater for smallies in my life...ever.  No wait, I did once with a Heddon Torpedo for six hours and didn't get one strike.  If this would have been the Tar, I would have caught a dozen largemouth up to three pounds and some Roanokes. 

Woolly Bugger

The smallie top water bite is a piscatorial orgasm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!