Aw shit, I might as well try again

Started by Peddler, August 15, 2016, 19:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peddler

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on February 02, 2017, 11:21:18 AM
i'm a dumbass.  got a slick reel for a slick green 5wt?  and what are your financing terms?  will you trade for a broken raft?
Broken raft? Tell me more.
That Hardy I just posted would fill the bill nicely on a 5 weight.
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Peddler

Quote from: DAYUMson on February 02, 2017, 11:25:01 AM
Let's talk about the one-ounce 2wt.
What would you like to know about the One Ounce? I'm the only owner, bought it direct from an Orvis store. It comes with the stock rod tube and liner that came with the rod. I can post pics if need be.

driver

I've never fished a winston. But i have heard they are wet noodles. I have generally stayed away from them because I like a faster rod. How would you rate the action of that 3wt?

Will that 3wt turn a 16 inch cutty in a 8ft wide stream?

sanjuanwormhatch

It's a frameless, two man 'toon.  It's kind of impractical but it's a pretty cool boat.  It doesn't have oar locks, rather has "patches" that were glued down and, guess what, the glue came up.  So now I need to repair the oar "locks".  I was kind of joking about trading it but hey if you're game so am I. 

On a serious note, how easy of a repair is that?  Wish they would've just sewed them down but hey.

And fret not, I'll buy that rod and reel set up in like 6 months.

Peddler

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on February 08, 2017, 14:44:02 PM
It doesn't have oar locks, rather has "patches" that were glued down and, guess what, the glue came up.  So now I need to repair the oar "locks".
On a serious note, how easy of a repair is that? 
I've had a few one man pontoons and each had stuff glued to them. Here's a link to a company that knows how to make and repair inflatables and what they use.
http://www.nrs.com/boating_tips/quick_guide_urethane_pvc_boat_adhesives.asp

driver... Winstons can be considered softer rods but that depends on the model and the line used. They are true-to line weight so a line that is heavier than rated (like Rio Grand and SA GPX) will soften and deaden the action. That said their BIIt series is their whimbly series and might not be the rod for you. The thing with Winston's that some can't get used to is letting the rod do the work instead of horsing it on every cast. Sage is now making Winstonesque rods that have the range to fish well close in or at distance. I've landed some real toads with my Winston's on 6 &7X tippet because the tips are forgiving and allow nice short casts with the mid and butt sections taking over for long casts and putting the brakes on hot fish.

sanjuanwormhatch

Peddler

Quote from: driver on February 08, 2017, 12:37:03 PM
Will that 3wt turn a 16 inch cutty in a 8ft wide stream?
Look at the blog here by Bucky. http://www.blue-ribbon-flies.com/blog/. In it he answers your three weight question nicely I think.