News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Montana 1st time

Started by buddy_25_99, August 05, 2016, 10:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buddy_25_99

Flew out to a little fishing inn called stone fly inn. It was absolutely amazing. Got there on a Tuesday early afternoon. Soon as we checked in we got pointed to a river up the road to wade before dinner. With just a couple of hours and a storm blowing in we raced up the street toward the ruby.

It was a beautiful river. Few drifts in I managed to hook up on a brown

The storm was rolling in so we called it a day not long after. I was so filled with excitement and couldn't wait to get back out in the morning.

Two days we spent on the Madison. It was unbelievable just how many trout are in this river. 1st day we floated down. 2nd we floated and waded. Both days was unreal with in our 1st few drifts both days we had a fish on. This would set the pace for the day. We didn't have more than 10 mins go by there wasn't a fish on. Fished a little weird dragging 2 nymphs under 8 foot of leader with out mending. They wanted it to kinda D out and drag. It was extremely effective. I could even give a guess at how many fish we caught. Tons of rainbows and Browns with some white fish. Most was small but still a blast with the quantity.

Wasn't expecting to see Pelicans

The other river and my personal fav we fished was the beaver head. I was so excited and his top guide was taking us. Over breakfast I heard the guide and the owner coming up with a plan to split our float. Run the 2nd half 1st and go to the damn and down after to miss a lot of the other boats. It worked we seen no one. Fishing two nymphs under an indicator with 8 foot to the 1st nymph with sinker droppers under 2nd nymph. This made casting very interesting. There was a lot of dammit and a few tangles. But this was very effective

The fish here had a much better avg size to them

As always you got to have the story of the one that got away. On the float down from the damn. My dad was killing me. Every other drift he was hooking up. From my position in the boat I couldn't get out far enough to get in the drift he was running. So I made do still enjoying the excitement. He hooked up on a lot of big rainbows and they would really put on a show. Jumping cutting across the top of the water it was amazing to watch. In the midst of watching him I see my indicator stop. So I give a jerk thinking I just caught bottom again in the same place as I have 20 times already. I see a little flash in the water when I jerked realized this time it was the real deal. And this son of a bitch was pissed. With in seconds it stripped me down stream all the way to my backing. The guide pulled the anchor and off we went after it. After him paddling 200 yards down stream we finally get caught up to it. The guide yells holy shit that's a 30 incher. We get it close to the boat he missed the 1st net attempt and it dove hard to the bottom. Sitting there it just decided to let go. After getting threw my turrets spell of cuss words. I was still so excited just to be able to hold on to a fish that size as long as I did. It was a great day with so many 15inch plus fish

This was an absolutely amazing experience. Each night we had an amazing chef that cooked for us

And after dinner we would sit with a few others and the guides. Around the fire and talk about the day. While drinking mules and listening to some old country played by one crazy ass old man named fink

This was my 1st time seeing Montana. I was blown away. The views are amazing. The fishing was unbelievable. It's for sure a place I plan to see again. The stonefly inn and its guides really helped make it an all around experience. Now it's back to reality with work. Can't wait to get back out on the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhody

great report and great places to fish, i have trouble going too long without a fix of "out west" and glad you caught the fever!

you were in twin bridges backyard(almost literally!)

0:0
My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

Dee-Vo

I knew I should've tagged along, damn you.

Hell of a trip.

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Yallerhammer

Hell yes! Must do that someday.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Woolly Bugger

Going again next year and every year afterwards

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

twinbridges

Glad it was so good for you.  Often I walk down to the Stonefly in the evening after dinner for a drink.  Sorry I missed you.  Rooster, Holly and the guides work very hard to make it happen for their clients!

They know the water and they know all the tricks to catch fish! The reason to hire the best.

Great report and very accurate as to details.