As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Plant/Tree/Bush for Doug

Started by ajhock, May 09, 2015, 17:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougfish

Tropical. Don't be bringing that shit.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Hey Doug , whats this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Michael Toris

Not Doug, but it looks like Nigella damascena or Love-in-a-Mist

Woolly Bugger

nailed it, they volunteered in a side garden, can't figure out how they got there.... looks like they could be prolific...
me -There's a season?

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

ajhock

Six leaves and about 3 ft tall.  Mixed in with lots of rhodo and laurel on a steep bank.

The leaf at 5 o'clock has a notch.  It did a furtive search on Bing and found nothing. 
""Beauty is truth, truth beauty," - that is all Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know."-J. Keats

Pansyman

You can lead a horticulture<br />but you can't make her think.<br /><br />Only users lose weed.

ajhock

Thanks, I had that as minor guess.  Tell me about the notch in the 5 o'clock leaf and why is there only one layer of leaves-or maybe better- why are there no other branch levels.  My limited understanding is that magnolias are sort of dinosaur, or simple, or a we don't really need to evolve type plants.  It is neat that from reading the Wiki, it jumps into spots were there is all of the sudden light.  This is true to this one.  The hemlocks falling to pieces definitely have poked holes in the canopy.  You can kind of see it in the crappy photo, a smattering a light.  A hemlock or two up slope have succumb and this bugger is making a run in a spot that has been pretty shaded for a long time. Thanks.
""Beauty is truth, truth beauty," - that is all Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know."-J. Keats

Dougfish

Might be M. fraseri or M. ashei instead. Are the bases of the leaves prominently lobed? Tough to tell from that pic.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Yallerhammer

M. fraseri is by far the most common one in most of western NC.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Michael Toris

Quote from: Dougfish on July 25, 2016, 06:32:58 AM
Might be M. fraseri or M. ashei instead. Are the bases of the leaves prominently lobed? Tough to tell from that pic.
You're prominently lobed

Dougfish

Quote from: DAYUMson on July 25, 2016, 09:45:23 AM
Quote from: Dougfish on July 25, 2016, 06:32:58 AM
You're prominently lobed

You checked?  :o  0:0
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

ajhock