As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Upper James Boat Ramp Issues

Started by Big J, July 22, 2016, 07:51:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big J

See below.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Big J

It may of been Botetourt County that put the boulders in.  Waiting on a call from the county.

Dougfish

VDGIF owns those access points. It would have to be their call. 
BTW, nothing on their website, yet. n!n
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Big J

Quote from: Dougfish on July 22, 2016, 10:28:16 AM
VDGIF owns those access points. It would have to be their call. 
BTW, nothing on their website, yet. n!n

I believe they do not own the access points.  They have agreements from the landowners on a lot of the access points and just manage the ramps.  If it is county owned land then they own the access point.  Still seems like they would have to go thru VDGIF though to make changes to the ramp.

Big J

Update.  Gala boat ramp is owned by the county.  The County put the boulders on the ramp because an official saw a trailer tearing up the ramp.   :-\  VDGIF can do nothing about it. No other ramps will be inhibited. Sad to see them do that to Gala.

Dougfish

I did a little more research, too. It is leased by the county. 5 year renewable lease for $100/year. County paid for the improvements with VDGIF approval.
That ramp is supposed to be a "hand carry" ramp. Right? Like the two "ramp" TC and I used yesterday. The don't go far into the water like traditional ramps.
I'm surprised you could launch there, J. 
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Big J

Quote from: Dougfish on July 22, 2016, 11:17:54 AM
I did a little more research, too. It is leased by the county. 5 year renewable lease for $100/year. County paid for the improvements with VDGIF approval.
That ramp is supposed to be a "hand carry" ramp. Right? Like the two "ramp" TC and I used yesterday. The don't go far into the water like traditional ramps.
I'm surprised you could launch there, J.

Heck yeaha, I launch there.  Very doable and you'd have to be a complete goober to tear that boat ramp up.  Which I know Botetourt County is full of them.....

benben reincarnated

Quote from: Big J on July 22, 2016, 10:54:04 AM
The County put the boulders on the ramp because an official saw a trailer tearing up the ramp. 

dynamite.

natureboy

Big J

Quote from: natureboy on July 25, 2016, 15:01:36 PM
Pictures?

There were some pictures on FB, but looks like the guy who started the discussion deleted it.  Just some giant rocks in front of the Gala launch. 

natureboy

Stopped by yesterday to check it out.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Big J

I heard somebody gave the county the middle finger and made a new one.  If the county is that concerned by the damaging of that bank, they just need to put in a decent launch. 

Or did the county put that in?

natureboy

Didn't look like any middle finger business.  Steep bank and shallow water though.

Big J

Quote from: natureboy on August 19, 2016, 20:40:57 PM
Didn't look like any middle finger business.  Steep bank and shallow water though.

Put my boy in that creek many a times. Typically have to pull it along bank before I get in though. Hope it was the county that did it.