Smith River Sampling

Started by Al, July 11, 2016, 18:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutfanatic

I'm agreeing here Al. You gave me a couple of spots, I took it from there.

Harvesting GPS data from pics can help too.

IFStultz

Do you really need a cattle prod to find out there are fish in a river? The problem is the size of the trout on the upper river. I know you work with wounded warriors and volunteer with TU and what not and I appreciate it. We should all be doing some of that. You're not solely responsible for the data going public either. The people doing the surveys could use a little discretion though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Poaching the fishes in the slot ain't cool.  Keeping over the limit ain't cool.  And I'll go on the record that not creeling a limit of those <10 inchers ain't cool either.

Eat some Smith browns and mend the angling; it will do more for the fishery than picking up old tires and other refuse. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

ICflies

I'm not saying that shocking isn't necessary, it should be done for health purposes only to make sure the river is becoming cleaner and the fish are thriving and healthy. It should not be done so people can sit on a boat and say "look what I got" that's fucked up in my opinion do the test and put the fish back

Yallerhammer

IFStultz: News flash: You ain't a special little snowflake. You don't own the Smith River, and it isn't your private trout water. Any of those local folks you talk about like trash already know that there are big browns in there. Duh. As long as they are fishing legally, the guy drowning nightcrawlers has just as much right to fish as you or I do. We're not special. Jesus will not put gold stars on your permanent record, or mine, for releasing 24" brown trout, or for fishing with little wispy feathery things instead of a wad of redworms or a Mepps spinner . Anybody who catches one and keeps it within the law is just as in the right as we are. And as others have said, if some are poaching and you know it, you're enabling them if you don't say something. Plus-Nobody is gonna clean the brown trout out of a river that size.

Consider: They're non-native fish in an artificial fishery.They are not native to the watershed. If we were really concerned about the health of the river, we would lobby to poison the European invasive fish and bring back the redhorses and warmouth bream and longnose gar.

At least Al is trying to do something constructive to help out his fellow anglers instead of sitting around bitching about somebody else fishing "his" river. Get over yourself. Sounds like your definition of a "poacher" is anyone fishing the Smith River who isn't you, or any subhuman inbred redneck bastard who was born and raised in NC instead of moving here from up North, or anybody who isn't a fly fisherman. I love to fly fish. I am a rabid fly fisherman. I turn loose 99% of the fish I catch. And: I ain't a bit damn better than anybody who fishes any other way, or eats 24" browns for supper. Most of us were bait or spin fishermen before we started fly fishing, and I still own a couple spinning rods and use them occasionally, and there ain't a damn thing wrong with that.

Rant over.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Yallerhammer

Quote from: ICflies on July 18, 2016, 17:34:21 PM
I'm not saying that shocking isn't necessary, it should be done for health purposes only to make sure the river is becoming cleaner and the fish are thriving and healthy. It should not be done so people can sit on a boat and say "look what I got" that's fucked up in my opinion do the test and put the fish back

Is that any better than the rest of us catching and torturing fish on our fly rods for our own amusement and to say "look what I caught?"

They're fish. They ain't people or Gods. They'll make more.

troutfanatic

IF, it's not just about confirming fish presence, c'mon man you know that. It's about growth versus age, diet, genetics, disease, predation and dozens of other variables that can effect the fishery. Think of it like this, the upper river is limited in forage fish, crayfish and insect life is hit or miss from one 1/2 mile to the next. The lower river has forage, ample forage. It also has higher temps and I believe I was told last year that reproduction is much lower. So, through sampling VDIGF is taking punes in the 6-12" size, clipping their adipose fin and relocating them downriver. These guys are showing stunted growth for their age, but then when recollected downriver a year or two later they are showing ample growth. This is science working to improve the fishery.

I get your gripe about too much of the game being given away on here, but I wouldn't question why they sample. Perhaps you should speak with Al offline and join him on a sampling trip, I did and I learned a good bit.

Onslow

I know most of the spots and have seen many impressive Smith fish pics.  None of this has moved me to fish the Smith and I cannot foresee fishing this river in the near future.  It ain't for every market, just sayin.

ICflies

Quote from: Yallerhammer on July 18, 2016, 17:49:33 PM

Is that any better than the rest of us catching and torturing fish on our fly rods for our own amusement and to say "look what I caught?"

ICflies

Quote from: ICflies on July 18, 2016, 18:31:17 PM
Quote from: Yallerhammer on July 18, 2016, 17:49:33 PM

You have obviously missed the point all together, thanks for your input though

Yallerhammer

Really? Am I the one that missed the point? If you say so? I've been doing this nearly half a century. What do you do to fish? How long you been fly fishing?

IFStultz

Yellowhammer. First off let me say that I'm sorry about your reading comprehension problem. If you read my comments real real careful, I never claimed to be anything nor did I say anything derogatory specifically about bait chunkers. It's not my river. I try to help people catch more fish there any chance I get. I talk to all the fisherman there not just fly fisherman and treat them with equal respect. Having grown up there I do hold that dirty old river close to my heart. Growing up there I also know people that will jump on the chance to take a trophy from those waters slot or not. Now I know you're a angry at the world and I see you have 674 posts in 1 year and 17 days. Now let me give you a nickels worth of free advice. If you spend more time out in the world and less time in momma's basement I promise, promise, you that with a little effort and some social skills one day you will see your first titty in real life. Take care,

IFStultz

Quote from: troutfanatic on July 18, 2016, 17:49:45 PM
IF, it's not just about confirming fish presence, c'mon man you know that. It's about growth versus age, diet, genetics, disease, predation and dozens of other variables that can effect the fishery. Think of it like this, the upper river is limited in forage fish, crayfish and insect life is hit or miss from one 1/2 mile to the next. The lower river has forage, ample forage. It also has higher temps and I believe I was told last year that reproduction is much lower. So, through sampling VDIGF is taking punes in the 6-12" size, clipping their adipose fin and relocating them downriver. These guys are showing stunted growth for their age, but then when recollected downriver a year or two later they are showing ample growth. This is science working to improve the fishery.

I get your gripe about too much of the game being given away on here, but I wouldn't question why they sample. Perhaps you should speak with Al offline and join him on a sampling trip, I did and I learned a good bit.

You got me there.

IFStultz

Quote from: IFStultz on July 18, 2016, 19:06:21 PM
Yellowhammer. First off let me say that I'm sorry about your reading comprehension problem. If you read my comments real real careful, I never claimed to be anything nor did I say anything derogatory specifically about bait chunkers. It's not my river. I try to help people catch more fish there any chance I get. I talk to all the fisherman there not just fly fisherman and treat them with equal respect. Having grown up there I do hold that dirty old river close to my heart. Growing up there I also know people that will jump on the chance to take a trophy from those waters slot or not. Now I know you're a angry at the world and I see you have 674 posts in 1 year and 17 days. Now let me give you a nickels worth of free advice. If you spend more time out in the world and less time in momma's basement I promise, promise, you that with a little effort and some social skills one day you will see your first titty in real life. Hang in there.

22midge

no combined effort.............exactly why Brian Williams will get his water to make the boaters happy. Hell they don't need any fish to float down to Eden.
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life