News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Float yer fly

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 03, 2016, 22:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajhock

Ran with the goo this morning.  I does work.  Good.  It goes cloudy around 70-72°.  I had to carry it in my pocket to keep it clear.  OK on a wet wade day like today.  The right container is important, otherwise you will have Coleman fuel stink on you.  What I had today was not optimum.   Having to take the lid off a container full of a smelly, flammable  liquid, keep hold of said lid, jockey fly into container w/o dropping lid, then reverse made for some goofy moves.   I have been not liking my newest spool of flouro-Climax and had what seemed like more problems with knots and breakage.  Not sure if it had to do with the fuel.

I hiked up to the place I planned on fishing, immediately saw a bear and noped out of there.  I fished some marginal wild water and touched some DH too. 

It works.  I have more testing to do.  The fuel seems safe for my foam body stimis, superfine dubbing parachutes, UV Ice dubbed nymphs, and quill body dries.

""Beauty is truth, truth beauty," - that is all Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know."-J. Keats

Woolly Bugger

you need a Nalgene bottle like this...

I think you can find them for a buck....(not on Amazon)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002PWPL4Q/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

This guy uses double the wax concentration in his method which includes warming the fuel in a hot water bath, others suggest melting the wax in a water bath prior to adding to the fuel..

CAUTION; DO YOU DO THIS NEAR OPEN FLAMES

White gas has a low flash point; you have bee warned...

https://michaelgracie.com/2014/08/not-so-secret-fly-floatant-formula/#comments
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

IFStultz

You dipshits could just order a  bottle, and save some time and money.

http://www.amazon.com/Yellowstone-Fly-Goods-Agra-Floatant/dp/B00EJXT6AY

Fucking white people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woolly Bugger

$5 for two oz.? Hell no., I've got 32 oz for the same coin

me -There's a season?

Yallerhammer

$6.99 + $9.00 shipping for a tiny lil bottle?
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Might I suggest this beer, for all you penny-pinchers?  You enigmatic skinflints need to stop pissing away your extra flow.  Then you could afford this dope fly dope readymade. 

You guys kill me!  I love you man!
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Since you backyard chemists are in the zone, give these a shot.  I'll take a baker's dozen.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on July 12, 2016, 11:15:04 AM
Might I suggest this beer, for all you penny-pinchers?  You enigmatic skinflints need to stop pissing away your extra flow.  Then you could afford this dope fly dope readymade. 

You guys kill me!  I love you man!

It's about the journey, not the destination. You oughta know that, seeing as how you're too cheap to buy nylon tents and such. :D
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

ajhock

For science, I doubled the amount of wax.  I ran it over a surform to make small pieces and dumped it into the jar and set it on the hood of the car.  No problem, wax dissolved.  Brought it inside and now the sauce clouds somewhere between 78 and 90°.  Not great for dry fly fishing.  It occurred to me that this may be a way waxed fabrics were made way back when Mudflap started shaving.  I painted a ballcap and intend to field test.  Seems OK but unnecessary. 

This shit could be a hipsters dream-  mustache wax, huffing sauce, touch up your Filson garb, make your howler bro shit into simulated Filson shit, make anything Orvis more legit, make your own fat wood kindling,  start fires, wax up some Cordura (if you know what I mean) to make it look hipster.....   

Short version- the amount of dissolved wax vs. usefulness is finite.  It doesn't seem to be like beer : if 1X is good then 2X must be better.
""Beauty is truth, truth beauty," - that is all Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know."-J. Keats

Dougfish

Quote from: ajhock on July 13, 2016, 17:53:47 PM
For science, I doubled the amount of wax.  I ran it over a surform to make small pieces and dumped it into the jar and set it on the hood of the car.  No problem, wax dissolved.  Brought it inside and now the sauce clouds somewhere between 78 and 90°.  Not great for dry fly fishing.  It occurred to me that this may be a way waxed fabrics were made way back when Mudflap started shaving.  I painted a ballcap and intend to field test.  Seems OK but unnecessary. 

This shit could be a hipsters dream-  mustache wax, huffing sauce, touch up your Filson garb, make your howler bro shit into simulated Filson shit, make anything Orvis more legit, make your own fat wood kindling,  start fires, wax up some Cordura (if you know what I mean) to make it look hipster.....   

Short version- the amount of dissolved wax vs. usefulness is finite.  It doesn't seem to be like beer : if 1X is good then 2X must be better.

The tits.  'c; -+;
This is exactly how I've seen this going. Rock on, brothers/sisters of the fly.  :banana072:

Psst.
Nymphing/streamering how ya gets the real results.  n!n
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

ajhock

Of course Doug, it=nothing.  I don't really need to delve into the inner workings of old school dry floatants.   It is hot, the rivers are low.  Summer shack nasties.  White gas smells better than it looks.  'shroom season is lagging.  Bears are frolicking.  I must search out more organic material waterproof treatments. 

ajhock

Also-Doug, of course you are right about the nymphs and streamers.  My bread and butter.   When the bugs are flying, I switch over to the nonsensical dry fly.   No reason really.  I am not very good at it.  These fucking $$$ rods need to earn their keep.   Stretch their legs, if you will.   Blow out the carbs.

Woolly Bugger

I'm not thrilled with my concoction , I may add 50% more wax bringing the total to 6 oz for 32 oz of fuel

me -There's a season?