News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Full Summer Pond

Started by Woolly Bugger, June 10, 2016, 10:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

2016-49

The South Holston Lake is at full summer pond, or a bit higher, so they are now generating long enough to float. No need to start early, so we hit it around one. Not crazy busy, but never out of sight of two or three boats, including one asshat "guide" that crowded us and several other boats. When asking "slim" who he was the reply was, "Oh that asshole is a yankee, who is a dick. One more complaint and he's gone! I'll count this as two."

The yaller bugs stated coming off and it wasn't long before the fish were rising. The high water hatch is something else, the fish, holding on the bottom, eye the flies for 6 or 7 feet before coming four or five feet up to eat them. We targeted fish and caught a number of them, some that were an exercise in in casting ability. Hey, there is one rising back at 10 o'clock, no 6 feet further, that's the drift, you got 'em. So the day goes, interspaced with some beer(s).
The bugs didn't continue all that far down the river, and we parked to see what would happen as the sun went down. We were going over our MT itinerary and we ended up calling the Slide Inn to book a couple of nights. Well as Rhody is working the deal, I'm bangin the banks with a Barely Legal and pull one off the bank. Rhody tells Galloup to hold on as he has to net the fish. Then hands me the phone and I proceed to confuse Kelly and myself with the dates, "Don't catch another fish," Kelly admonished, as he was trying to get the deal straight and was probably annoyed with us. The fish safely released, I handed the phone back to Rhody. "Are you guys, drunk?" "Not quite!" Two nights at the Slide Inn booked!

I really need to work on my boating photography, I tend to put things out of reach and it's not top of mind to document the trip as I do while wading, so here is a crappy pic dump, 8 hour float, 6 pics, go figure....

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

Not a thing wrong with any of that.  'c;  :banana011:
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Dee-Vo

Onslow

Hope you two have a great time in Montana.

I will be at Big Pine Key in a couple weeks.  However, it will be the off season for most everything. Hoping for a good topless or bikini hatch.

Yallerhammer

Solid fish!  'c; Montana. I'm jealous. Bastards.  I'll be at work. n!n
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Traveller2926

The little yaller bugs are the Breakfast of Champions!
The best life has the fewest spectators! Who is John Galt?  John Galt 2020

Yallerhammer

Yep. Trout num-nums. I was camping and fishing over the weekend, and there were stoneflies hatching off that looked like they could have carried off a half-grown housecat. They would have been about a #2 or #4 long-shank.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff