News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Tick collection request!

Started by Woolly Bugger, February 15, 2024, 11:03:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Become a 'community scientist' and help North Carolina researchers by collecting ticks

The Guilford County Division of Public Health is asking people to become community scientists to help with a study documenting tick species in North Carolina. 

The study is being conducted by North Carolina State University and will evaluate a citizen science approach to tick surveillance and exposure risk in North Carolina. 

The study asks to people to submit ticks they find naturally in North Carolina. NCSU says tick collection kits will be distributed for free through a GCDPH partnership.

Free tick kits can be picked up from the Environmental Health Division on the third floor of the Guilford County Department of Health and Human Services building at 1203 Maple St. in Greensboro.

Kits may be picked up Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Each kit will include a postage-paid return envelope, collection tubes and a short survey

https://myfox8.com/news/north-carolina/greensboro/become-a-community-scientist-and-help-north-carolina-researchers-by-collecting-ticks/amp/

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Onslow

How to collect ticks?

A story from tick country....

Steve purchased a tract of land near the Franklin/Granville county line.  While it was primarily hardwood, it did have some pine, beaver dams, and underbrush.  One day while cleaning out underbrush, he took a lunch break.  Prior to sitting down, he threw a tarp over the ground to protect himself from whatever.  As he was contemplating the events of his life, and enjoying his lunch, he heard what sound like rain drops on the tarp, but the sky was clear. After a bit, he noticed ticks crawling over the tarp.  The ticks were dropping out of the canopy trying to land on him!

Raining ticks....the horror!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

I've never heard of ticks in the canopy.  I suppose they could reach higher on a host (bird or squirrel) and vacating an environ like a squirrel nest.

Or maybe Steve is the size of GI Joe or Ken Barbie, and his tarp was the size of a bandana handkerchief.

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Dougfish on February 18, 2024, 21:14:40 PMSteve takes good drugs.

Yes, another possible explanation.  I watched a covey of quail in the coals of a campfire for hours while camping on the Jackson back in the 70s; I never smoked my Yankee pal's weed again.  I did witness, while sober, on several occasions of it raining frass from Gypsy Moth larvae in the Shenandoah National Park in the mid-80s. 

Seriously, any tick survey that will provide information and help tell us a story seems like a good idea.  I have no data, but I am a bit sure there are nasties (bacteria, viruses) carried by ticks we have yet to discover.  I rarely have a tick attached because I spray clothing and likely smell or taste bad.  My son, however, was diagnosed with Lyme and Rocky Mountain back in '23.  He is still taking medication for brain fog, supposedly from the RM.  Ticks = bad juju!

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

trout-r-us

"Myth No. 2: Ticks jump out of trees to land on their hosts.

Many people believe ticks jump out of trees and land on them, but it turns out they are physically unable to do that."

"I always say 'Don't ruin a good story with the truth,' but they're not raining out of trees on us," Dryden said.

https://www.k-state.edu/today/announcement/?id=14987

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

Once while canoe camping on the New there were so many ticks in the field where we camped that we set the dog on a tether and picked the ticks of of his short light colored fur and tossed them into the fire while drinking malt beverages.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!