News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Reconnaissance Mission

Started by BrookieHunter, May 23, 2016, 19:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrookieHunter

Today was another hike fest and recon mission for a trip to this location next week. I've always fished this creek by hiking in from the bottom to the end of the trail and then fishing upstream until I run out of time and have to head back down the creek to the trail. With a trip to this creek planned for memorial day I started thinking of ways to make it farther upstream than previous trips. This led me to study my maps and I found a potential trail that was close enough to the second forks of the creek that it might work, it was only 600-800 feet above the creek so I figured it couldn't be that bad :D. Left the truck at 7:30 and headed up the trail, strangely it had been bush hogged fairly recently along with several acres at the top of ridge, now if they would have just headed down to the creek that would have been great. I got to where I decided to drop into the creek at 9:00 and the first three quarters of the way wasn't to bad, fairly open and steep but not to steep. Then about fifty yards from the creek it turned into a wall of rhodo and dead trees, spent at least 45 minutes busting through that crap but did reach the creek eventually and decided real quick not to go back out that way and just go down stream and head out the normal way. The normal trail out was almost as bad with all the dead hemlocks that have come down in recent years, several more major storms and it will be hell getting in and out of here. Didn't do much fishing but did pick up a few small ones in a few places, next week will be the mostly fishing and less hiking because I sure as hell am not going in the p;- top again. 

Dee-Vo

The persistence pays off in ways other than fish. It's the knowing what's there and around that bend and over that fall.

The more thoughts of "What the hell am I doing?", and "Who does this shit?", that cross your mind, the better. That's how you find that fresh ground.

Much respect for the ass-bustin' you endured. Good shit. Looking forward to the report.

BrookieHunter

This is definitely one Creek that I will eventually find out how high up it holds trout or run out of water which ever comes first.

ptfranze

Nice looking creek...looking forward to the fishing report next week. 

Dougfish

WTF? A teaser? Showing us some thigh?  n!n
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006