• Welcome to Pretentious Snobby Bastard Fly Fishing!. Please login or sign up.
December 05, 2021, 10:41:40 AM

News:

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Second Breakfast

Started by Big J, May 14, 2016, 21:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big J

I had a wedding to attend this afternoon and decided earlier this week that if I'm going to have to attend another one of the inlaws weddings, I needed to fish beforehand.  Was planning on taking the boat out and musky fishing, but forgot the Jesse Carper Memorial Musky Tournament was going on today and the New River was going to be a circus and the James was too high and muddy to fish.  Trout fishing it is then.

Had a stream I've been wanting to fish for a while.  Tomato Can got run off this stream last year by someone thinking they owned the stream at the bottom and had an easement into national forest.  I parked in a better location then Tomato Can and made sure to get back into the stream a little ways before fishing.  I still not sure if it was trespassing.  It looks like there is a small sliver of national forest going from the road back to their fire road access.

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="800" height="600" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">
Red paint marks the National Forest Boundary, didn't stop them from putting barbwire across the stream and up into the National Forest side of the stream.

This is a rainbow trout stream, and there is some water back there perfect to produce some good fish.  I didn't catch anything big, but had a nice average size of fish to the population.

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="800" height="600" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">

Lots of water back there.

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="450" height="600" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">
Thought I had a monster, but it was just a double.

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="450" height="600" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">

Nice waterfall surprise.  Wasn't expecting any falls of this size on this stream.

My second breakfast before peeling off to head back home.

On the hike out I walked right into barb wire covered by leaves and fallen limbs.  I meant to wet wade today, but forgot my wading socks at home and had to wear my waders that I left in my car from the last trip.  Ripped a good hole in my waders.  I was due for a new pair anyways and could of been worst.

Dee-Vo

Lovin' that first 'bow and the waterfall. Always a pleasant surprise to find one unexpectedly. Were you able to fish past the falls?

It seems that every person that owns a piece of land close to a stream or river think they own it.

Sucks about the waders.

Big J

Quote from: Dee-Vo on May 14, 2016, 22:25:22 PM

Were you able to fish past the falls?

Oh yeaha, the falls was hit in the first 45 minutes of fishing.  Fished a good ways past that falls.  If I owned the land at the bottom of that stream, I'd be tempted to shock up and bonk all the bows and restock it with brookies.  It would of been a heck of a brookie stream. 

Dougfish

I bailed on fishing this stream/meth lab at the bottom last fall.  :o

Might have to check if my balls are still attached and go for it.   y;

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? " -Oddball, 1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Onslow

I'd be willing to drive an 1.5 hours and risk getting arrested for some of that.

Dee-Vo

Many thought-to-be meth lab streams end up being just the opposite. Some folks that aren't from the particular area see the "good ol' boy" style of living and the drug reference is usually the first inclination. I've gained entrance into many much coveted waters that appear rough at best only to find very kind and old-fashioned people. Of course, this isn't always the case, sadly.

For the record, yes, some places I gain entrance into is legal.

Big J

Quote from: Dee-Vo on May 15, 2016, 09:00:35 AM

Many thought-to-be meth lab streams end up being just the opposite. Some folks that aren't from the particular area see the "good ol' boy" style of living and the drug reference is usually the first inclination. I've gained entrance into many much coveted waters that appear rough at best only to find very kind and old-fashioned people. Of course, this isn't always the case, sadly.

For the record, yes, some places I gain entrance into is legal.

There is a difference between good ole boy and what is at the bottom of this stream. Especially the condition of the set of trailers.  They look unlivable but they are working cars parked outside of it and they have fairly new piping running from the stream to their trailer.

Dee-Vo

tomato can

There are bigger rainbows than that in that stream.  The ol' timer that run me off was nice enough.  Said I could come back any time and pick all the paw paws I wanted.  (below the bridge is a paw paw thicket).  did you park where we talked about and walk/bike down or did you drive up near the hunt club and hike down?

#CommissionsEarned