A lot of work for one little trout

Started by BrookieHunter, May 10, 2016, 20:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrookieHunter

I spent most of the day trying to find a way in to to a creek that has been in the back of my mind for a couple years. There are no trails and the easy way in at the bottom is on private property, owned by a crazy ass family that shoots first. The only road anywhere near it crosses several tributaries way the hell above where i intend to fish. So i figured what the hell I'll just go down one of those and fish then climb back out of there. As most of you know that didn't work as planned, a chainsaw and probably some repelling gear would be the only solution to that route. So after fours hours bush wacking and getting nowhere close to fish I decide to hit a stream on the way out that I knew had brook trout. I usually fish this stream from the bottom but since I was driving right past the top of the trail i decided to just hike down the trail catch a few and hike back up the trail to the truck. This was a bad idea, that damn trail goes straight down close to 1000 vertical feet in what seemed like only a half mile. I caught one trout and then damn near died coming back up that shit >:(. But i found some cool shit, caught a trout and have a new plan for next time. There were about thirty of those lady slippers where I found that one and a big ass hawk in the middle of one trail that flew off before getting his picture. I'm not sure how many more of these trips the old Danner River Grippers can take though.

Dougfish

Another sadist.   -+;

I needs to go check on some slipper action.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Dee-Vo

A ring neck? Cool.

Those boots look like mine that I retired last year. Got your money's worth it looks like.

Exploring. The fishing is always nice especially when the return is favorable, on the other hand, getting there and back is often the fun part.

BrookieHunter

I have been thinking about replacing those boots for years but can't bring myself to buy any of the chinese made wading boots available so I called Danner and found out the River Grippers are recraftable. Should be mailing them to Danner next week, we'll see what they can do.

Yallerhammer

Cool pics! I'm pretty sure I know exactly which creek you were referring to first. I did it one time several years ago, came in from the trailhead at the end of the seemingly 100-mile-long washboard road on top. Helluva hike in and out, but it did have some good specks in it. Most of the creeks on the other fork of that drainage are slam-packed full of finger-sized rainbows all the way to the springheads.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Woolly Bugger

snake, wildflowers, creek, brookie, worn out boots, the only thing missing is a hippie beer....

jis say'in
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Yallerhammer

BH, you need to clean out your inbox.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff