News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

another first

Started by badankles, May 19, 2006, 17:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badankles

30" (or so) with rows of teeth, yep, a gar.   :o  spotted gar, i think.  the pic is from a camera phone, sorry.

i've recently noticed these guys cruising the river, neuse, just below the milbourne dam.  i'm sure they've been there forever.  i've seen some at least 5' long breaking the surface.  gives me the shivers everytime.

i got bored with work so decided to wet a line around 2pm for a late lunch break.  the water is a little high due to the recent rain.  the weather is pleasant, sunny and a little windy.  i got down to the bank about a hundred yards or so below the dam, so the water was flowing smooth and a bit cloudy.  there was another guy there already with this spin rods pulling out breams.

not a lot of surface activity.  the noticable splashes were from the cruising gars.  i tied on a chartruse sneaky pete with a wet fly dropper.  saw some silver flash along the bank about 20' up river.  my heart skipped a beat, couldn't believe my luck.  casted.  waited for the ripples to go away then saw the top fly begun to sink.  lifted the rod.

heart beating faster when i felt the hook catch then i saw the long body twisting away to the middle of the river.  my heart skipped again then sped up as he bridged water, then leapt.  i couldn't believe it.  twice he did it, his full self both times.  wow.   ;D 8)

he didn't get to the backing but it took over 15-20 min. to tired him out with my 5wt.  umm...he was a bit intimidating so after he posed for the photo i cut my tippet at the hook instead of trying to save the fly.  wasn't interested in getting my fingers shredded.   :P

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
when's a newbie no longer a newbie...

badankles

i'd be fired for sure if it was trout water.  it's still hard to pack up back to the office each time.
when's a newbie no longer a newbie...

Woolly Bugger

now that's cool! them gar do have some nasty teeth..I wouldn' want to mess with 'em either...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!