• Welcome to Pretentious Snobby Bastard Fly Fishing!. Please login or sign up.
December 05, 2021, 10:22:43 AM

News:

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Plan B is SNP

Started by Big J, April 25, 2016, 07:18:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big J

Did a little camping and fishing in the SNP this past weekend with Doug, Fin, and VAtrout.  Was supposed to be at another location, but the zero rain we have received slashed that option, SNP was the back up plan.  I honestly feel we couldn't of done any better considering the water lever conditions.  Spent Friday and Saturday fishing stream A and packed up camp Sunday and split up and hit two separate streams on the way back.

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="800" height="600" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">
Bought a 90L pack, I'm just feeding the pack heavy beast inside me.

Hiked in later then the other guys because I worked half a day, but managed to catch a few before dinner.

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="800" height="600" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">

It's low but there is water.

Camp and Doug's Stew heating up.

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="450" height="600" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">
VAtrout making some breakfast in the morning. Before Fin and I hit the upper part of the stream.  I will say that Saturday wasn't supposed to rain and I left my rain jacket at camp like the rest of the guys.....it rained off and on all day.

Rock climbing worm.

Fin working a nice hole.

I ate well.

A Tranny spotting?

Coffee break.  I was happy Fin was more of a coffee fanatic then I.

This fish was eating well.

And the most colored up fish of the trip.

Wrapped up the day with some steak fajitas.

Sunday we broke down camp and hit a smaller stream with Fin.  We did well.  Water was low and tough fishing conditions, but we did better there then I thought we would.

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="450" height="600" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">

For Doug, Fin said you'd like it.

Big brookie of the trip length wise.

A great trip guys and much needed for me.  New house, new job, after tax season but before I start my CPA.  d:b

Yallerhammer

Looks like an ideal way to spend a weekend, doesn't get much better than that!  'c; Man, I wish we had specks down here that averaged that size.

Women want me, doughbellies fear me.<br /><br />Little Debbie Prostaff

Onslow

Righteous on all counts.

Dougfish

We picked up the pieces well. Left a crawdad at home, switched streams, had to adjust more because of the search and settled on a stream that should have water. Hopefully, everyone else won't have the same idea. Luckily the mid section does not have a trail next to it and requires some serious work to make it happen. We hit some of the lower section and a feeder on Friday after setting up. J staggered in with the pack from hell later. Vatrout and I headed directly upstream the next morning while Fin and J hit the fire road for the upper reaches. We got rained on more than forecasted, endured low temps 15+ degrees lower than forecast. (Translation? I froze my ass off in my lightweight bag.) All forgotten with great fish and excellent company and chow.  -0-
Da dump:

The fire on the mountain.

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="764" height="600" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">

Blue Cohosh

Assholes.

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="800" height="212" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">

A study of Saxifrage:

So Vatrouts found a popping bug when we were picking a campsite. A message from on high?
Bang!

Variegated Toothwort.
:o It moved.

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="595" height="600" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">

I ate well once I got home, too.

0:0

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? " -Oddball, 1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Great job gentlemen!

Btw, I am over the hurt of not being invited.  My wounded soul healed this morning when I took a big screaming Doug.

Seriously, hats off on the adventure.

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Dee-Vo

That shit rocked.

You boys have always got some nice natives to boast on about. Those are a blessing.

The heavy pack reminds of a long hike we did when we were much younger. The dude I was with sat down, and he literally couldn't get back up unassisted. He'd discard items along the way to lighten the load. Whatever person or animal that happened to be in our wake did well for their selves and for free.

Camping. I need some.

Big J

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on April 25, 2016, 09:16:06 AM

Great job gentlemen!

Btw, I am over the hurt of not being invited.  My wounded soul healed this morning when I took a big screaming Doug.

Seriously, hats off on the adventure.

I kid you not, I told the guys we should take a picture of our sriracha and egg/steak fajita/beef stew screaming Comanche and post it up in honor of you.  I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Big J

Quote from: Dee-Vo on April 25, 2016, 09:18:09 AM

The heavy pack reminds of a long hike we did when we were much younger. The dude I was with sat down, and he literally couldn't get back up unassisted. He'd discard items along the way to lighten the load. Whatever person or animal that happened to be in our wake did well for their selves and for free.

What can I say, I'm young and like to eat well.

Yallerhammer

Great pics, Doug! J, I also will strain myself carrying heavy cooking/food stuff in. I don't do freeze-dried stew.  y;

Dougfish

Quote from: Yallerhammer on April 25, 2016, 09:27:24 AM

Great pics, Doug! J, I also will strain myself carrying heavy cooking/food stuff in. I don't do freeze-dried stew.  y;

5 1/3 lb. of frozen beef stew thawed in boiling bags and a big loaf of sourdough on Friday. Breakfast Sat. was a dozen frozen scrambled eggs and a lb. of bacon. Then J packed in 4 frozen steaks, peppers and onions for fajitas. My pack was around 45 lbs. Just awkward as fuck with wading boots, waders and fishing bag hanging on the outside. (I do wish I had packed the heavier sleeping bag.  b';)
A bunch of fucking hobos had nothing on us.

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? " -Oddball, 1970

But if I do,

Native Fisher

Quote from: Dougfish on April 25, 2016, 09:36:31 AM

[(I do wish I had packed the heavier sleeping bag.  b';)

I slept in my hammock last Saturday night when it got down to mid thirties. 15 degree bag and an underquilt had me toasty.

Dougfish

Quote from: Native Fisher on April 25, 2016, 10:27:22 AM

[(I do wish I had packed the heavier sleeping bag.  b';)

I slept in my hammock last Saturday night when it got down to mid thirties. 15 degree bag and an underquilt had me toasty.

n!n  I thought about retrieving my old bag from you.

We figure we hit 37-38.

But if I do,

Big J

Quote from: Dougfish on April 25, 2016, 10:39:00 AM

n!n  I thought about retrieving my old bag from you.

We figure we hit 37-38.

Your sleeping bag was the equivalent of sleeping with just a sweater and sweatpants under the stars.  I slept like a bear in hibernation. 

JWJ

Good work fellas. Looks like an awesome time. Those are some stout brookies. Thanks for taking us along.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Yallerhammer on April 25, 2016, 09:27:24 AM

5 1/3 lb. of frozen beef stew thawed in boiling bags and a big loaf of sourdough on Friday. Breakfast Sat. was a dozen frozen scrambled eggs and a lb. of bacon. Then J packed in 4 frozen steaks, peppers and onions for fajitas. My pack was around 45 lbs. Just awkward as fuck with wading boots, waders and fishing bag hanging on the outside. (I do wish I had packed the heavier sleeping bag.  b';)
A bunch of fucking hobos had nothing on us.

y; Sounds like y'all ate good!

#CommissionsEarned