News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Methed Out Rainbows, Hellbenders, and Heartache (tR)

Started by Dee-Vo, April 19, 2016, 20:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

Quote from: Dee-Vo on April 20, 2016, 08:57:55 AM
The analogy was obviously over my head. I've seen grouse on a few occasions up that way.

I will mention this now that we've spoken about noises. I sat on a large rock and had lunch. Behind me, I kept hearing limbs breaking and leaves being moved about. Squirrel, I thought. It got closer and closer. The odd thing was that every single time I turned around to face away from the woods it would make the noise again. I thought nothing of it and continued on upstream. For the next hour I swear some critter was following me as I fished. It would walk and I could hear it plain as day, but never saw it. I think maybe otter, but not in the woods you wouldn't think. Otters make that funny chirp and I'd hear that occasionally. The only other animal I seen was a muskrat that basically went around my foot to retreat to it's watery home under a huge rock. May have been some sizable bird checking me out as I progressed. It was pretty neat, although I never seen it.

I dunno.

Probably a coyote. Some coyotes behave in the same manner that foxes do. I had one coyote shadow me once while fishing, and another approached me. I've even heard of them following people mowing fields hoping for a rodent to lose their cover.

Beavers and otters are present there.  Plenty of bobcats in the area, some around 50 pounds according to locals. 

Dee-Vo

Bobcats, foxes, and coyotes all crossed my mind. Whatever it was proved to be quite curious to keep up with me that long. Another very curious critter is the weasel.....I came across a few of those in a creek last summer. They would come all the way down to the water's edge and stare at me and make those quirky sounds similar to an otter or even a guinea pig. It's a mystery.

driver

Yallerhammer

I've had mink follow me a couple times before when I was fishing. They usually don't stay hidden, though.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

driver

you just gotta tell em, "GIT"

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on April 20, 2016, 12:59:03 PM
Quote from: driver on April 20, 2016, 11:26:04 AM
Bigfoot....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Exactly what I was thinking!

I can remember when that clip first came on our local news. I was literally rolling in the floor laughing. "I had to go out there and rough-talk 'im" "Hit had bee-you-tee-full hair!"

RiverbumCO

A 50lb bobcat is somebodies fucking pet.  No way a cat that fat could still hunt to maintain that kind of figure.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

Yallerhammer

They're out there. Saw one that a guy near here killed that was a shade under 50. It wasn't fat, either. Just friggin' huge. 35 pounders are not uncommon up here. 20-25 is about the average for a male, though.

jkilday4

troutfanatic

You're on fire Jason.

V:;

You may be the chosen one to redeem this shit-show from the depths of the commode.

Dee-Vo

Thanks, fellas.

I reported the hellbender sighting to the wildlife folks as they've got a contact email provided on the website. Seeing that thing in almost the same exact spot that Onslow saw one a while back was neat. I informed the wildlife folks that two had been spotted in that locale. In case you're curious or in case you want to report a sighting:

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/Learning/documents/Species/Fact-Sheet-Eastern-hellbender.pdf