Is this the year of the cicada?

Started by TroutMedic, April 18, 2016, 00:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TroutMedic

May not be the correct place to post but maybe we can make this a reporting post. Just read that this is the year of the cicada hatch. If so, what is the best pattern to tie or where can theses patterns be bought. Also how many of you have fished a cicada hatch and how was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

Caught grass carp on the surface along with some catfish and bass during the cicada hatch a couple of years ago, don't think the current brood will come this far south

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Fin

I whipped these up back in 2013.  Kicked ass.
[attach=1]

[attach=2]

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

I just read the latest research on this year's cicadas.  It seems they will not be visiting the Alleghany Highlands or parts of eastern WV in the numbers we hoped.  This particular brood has succumbed to an invasive nematode, Meloidogyne fallax, the false Columbia root-knot nematode.  It seems this pest of tubers, particularly potatoes, has adapted to infest some invertebrates.   It was discovered in Widefooted Treehoppers, the first record of this nematode attacking an insect.  Treehoppers are related to cicadas.  The latest sampling of the 5th and last instar cicada nymphs revealed that 90-93% of the individuals were infested with this invasive, and will not emerge from the ground.

There will be a few that make it; hopefully they will reproduce.  If not this brood may be lost forever. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Fin

Quotewill not emerge from the ground

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!  You just ruined my spring.  Damn invasives.

Big J

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on April 18, 2016, 08:20:56 AM
I just read the latest research on this year's cicadas.  It seems they will not be visiting the Alleghany Highlands or parts of eastern WV in the numbers we hoped.  This particular brood has succumbed to an invasive nematode, Meloidogyne fallax, the false Columbia root-knot nematode.  It seems this pest of tubers, particularly potatoes, has adapted to infest some invertebrates.   It was discovered in Widefooted Treehoppers, the first record of this nematode attacking an insect.  Treehoppers are related to cicadas.  The latest sampling of the 5th and last instar cicada nymphs revealed that 90-93% of the individuals were infested with this invasive, and will not emerge from the ground.

There will be a few that make it; hopefully they will reproduce.  If not this brood may be lost forever.

Well poop.

Da Heisenberg

New York, Pennsylvania and West Virginia are going to be sick. y;

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

At the request of some friends that like to fish for the bugle lips, I ventured out this weekend on a walk-about to look for cicadas around a local lentic environ. 

I caught one brook trout, found a mushroom that looked like my unit when I was 16 (if I remember correctly), and 1, yes one, cicada exuvium .

What does the lonely discovery mean?  Too early?  Not coming? Weather?

With my son's bachelor party scheduled next weekend in the same area, I'll do my best to check again, at least with one bloodshot eye open. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon