News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Unlimited Wildflowers Thread

Started by Michael Toris, April 13, 2016, 19:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Toris

Quote from: Dee-Vo on April 17, 2016, 19:52:21 PM
Are the last three I posted anything other than worthless weeds? I tried looking for them to get an ID, but I was unsuccessful.
Mayapple

Dead Neddle

And idk yeller flower.

Onslow

This is bloodroot. I can hook u up but it must happen before the nettles go nuts.

Found a stash near Fancy gap

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Michael Toris

Quote from: Onslow on April 17, 2016, 20:16:55 PM

This is bloodroot. I can hook u up but it must happen before the nettles go nuts.

Found a stash near Fancy gap

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
The other was bloodroot too. Fisher River Park is lousy with it.

What do you use it for? I have a few roots dried and idk what to do with em

Onslow

Foliage is too large, I think.  Leaves were about 3" wide.  The one BR specimen I pulled at 2700' blooming two weeks ago had leaves only 1.5 inches wide.  Maybe it is a soil quality issue.

VaTrout

Quote from: Onslow on April 17, 2016, 20:33:19 PM
Foliage is too large, I think.  Leaves were about 3" wide.  The one BR specimen I pulled at 2700' blooming two weeks ago had leaves only 1.5 inches wide.  Maybe it is a soil quality issue.
Shaded growth. It is a little late and the canopy is probably closing over it. Bloodroot leaves get really big sometimes.

Dee-Vo

Onslow

Quote from: wildmttrout on April 17, 2016, 20:09:38 PM
@Onslow bloodroot and dwarf iris. Joking, right?

Dwarf crested iris, bitch.  Lol

What to do with bloodroot?  I hear that it's useful for burns.  Folks used to dry it out and keep a powdered version on hand.

My wife's grandmother once drank some Mayapple root tea to rid herself of liver spots.  It worked well for its intended purpose , but it damned near killed er.  Concentration too high perhaps. 

Still do not understand why nearby bloodroot @ 2800 were in full bloom two weeks ago, and the first flower has not popped at 1500' yesterday.  This is causing my mind to become rather fevered.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Dee-Vo on April 17, 2016, 19:52:21 PM
Are the last three I posted anything other than worthless weeds? I tried looking for them to get an ID, but I was unsuccessful.

The purple dead nettle is an invasive exotic weed from Eurasia. It is edible, though. The yaller flowers look to be golden ragwort. It has medicinal uses. Mayapple has edible fruits and the roots are toxic, but have medicinal properties. I can remember digging mayapple root to sell when I was growing up.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Onslow on April 18, 2016, 04:22:46 AM
Quote from: wildmttrout on April 17, 2016, 20:09:38 PM
@Onslow bloodroot and dwarf iris. Joking, right?

Dwarf crested iris, bitch.  Lol

What to do with bloodroot?  I hear that it's useful for burns.  Folks used to dry it out and keep a powdered version on hand.

My wife's grandmother once drank some Mayapple root tea to rid herself of liver spots.  It worked well for its intended purpose , but it damned near killed er.  Concentration too high perhaps. 

Still do not understand why nearby bloodroot @ 2800 were in full bloom two weeks ago, and the first flower has not popped at 1500' yesterday.  This is causing my mind to become rather fevered.

Bloodroot used to be used a lot to treat skin cancers and such, and it was commercially used in some toothpastes. It has some anti-microbial properties. It was also used a lot as a dye, and the Indians used to use it as a hair wash, maybe to kill lice and such. As for why it bloomed earlier at a higher elevation, probably just local  micro-climate.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Dee-Vo

The knowledge is appreciated. I'm trying to brush up on my plants.

#plantlyfe

Dougfish

Soil depth/type and exposure plays into flowering time, as well as elevation. Plants on shallow soil with a sunny exposure warm up faster than those in shady spots with deep soil. I saw Hepatica in bloom in a sunny spot on thin soil in early February. Microclimates are so complicated and so simple at the same time.

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

VaTrout

Columbine is out. Spring is about over down here. Temps are supposed to hit 90ish today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dee-Vo

Michael Toris

Went here

(Long Leaf Pine Savannah complete with Wiregrass)

Saw a couple of these

(Dwarf Iris)

(Birdsfoot Violet)

Fin

Golden Seal starting to bloom at the house.  Noticed some near the Smith River last week; no blooms there yet.

[attach=1]