Main Menu

2016 Warm Water

Started by Dee-Vo, January 31, 2016, 16:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Toris

That clacka makes me moist

Woolly Bugger

2016 – 77

After spending two days in E. TN, (I had contemplated making it three) I worked Sunday, getting caught up when I checked the BRFFF and saw another "Empty Seat" notice for Monday.

Up at 5:00 for the two hour drive to Radford VA and a musky float on the New.

Just a touch of fog on the way up the Fancy Gap escarpment.

This looks like the place.

On the road with Drifts

Check the regs...

Breakfast on the water, actually had a Chalada at 10... jis say'in

Damn, that thing is huge...

This little guy was out for a swim across the 100 yard river...

Engineer, stopped on the tracks to see what we were catching and say hello.

Phalacrocoracidae hanging out in the trees. Words of warning, they will shit upon you.

We gave them a wide birth. We also saw a bald eagle.

Back to musky fishing...

Hello to teh suk! And a salute to the fishing of the new

What? Two and a half more miles to the take-out?

It's just around the corner...

Waiting for the shuttle....

Loaded up in the dark. Nine hours on the water, not one follow.

Just a couple of pune smalljaws... [insert Drift photos here]
BassStash

Hit 81-S into a traffic jam from hell, an hour to go 12 miles.... Home by 11.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Big J

Always a good time floating with Drifters.  He has fed me the "take out is around the corner" line before.  I think it was another mile before we hit the take out.

Onslow

Slinging chickens for 9 hours sounds a bit laborious.

DRIFTS

Moon up to moon down musky tr

purty

pull

The one that got away

Dude was turtle fish'n he claimed

How's the fish'n...jis so so

stepping up my game

Never, ever float under these bastards

the take out

On the road home...muskyless

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

DRIFTS

Musky snack pack

DRIFTS

Woolly Bugger

Sent a text to da spork on Friday asking if he wanted to chase after some smallies on the Yadkin. It's about as low and clears as it ever gets. He was in Atlanta, getting some award for selling tons of French fries hamburger buns. I left late and made a wrong turn before finally getting to the river.

Access is a mile down the trail, figured I didn't have time to do that, so I drove on down to the boat access to scout that location.

Briefly entertained the idea of fishing here, but went for a hike down the trail instead. Found out that the trial ends at the top of the islands and decent looking smallie habitat. Hiked back and  spotted a kayakers with fishing gear on the far side of the river. I decided to stop at the 67 takeout on the way back to Winston.

DSFK

This spot might be fishable... easy wading for sure... might go back Monday with a license and some more time....

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

2016 -83

I paid my payroll taxes, don't ask, too damn much, so I took the afternoon off and drove up to the river, it was too muddy to bother with, so I went to plan "B" and fished for smallies for a couple of hours. Nothing going on there. Threw a wiggle minnow on a full sinking line. Nada, well a sunfish no bigger than the fly hit it three times and managed to hook itself, I drank a beer and headed home....

me -There's a season?

DRIFTS

That's the way it goes..at least u got out  bd;0 /'/

gamatt53

Wow can't believe how low/clear it is there. There are some smallies there but going way up away from the road is key. I have seen some sights there in the summer  :o

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: gamatt53 on November 15, 2016, 11:42:22 AM
Wow can't believe how low/clear it is there. There are some smallies there but going way up away from the road is key. I have seen some sights there in the summer  :o

yeah, usually it's muddy as hell, I may try and go back later in the week... like tomorrow if possible....

<-;: <-;:
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

When I started this year my goal was to fish over 100 days... Things were going darn well for the first six months, but then life started to get in the way and I've been struggling to catch up with only six week left I may not reach my goal. The damn dam on my local is still so screwed up that they are now projecting that the project will not be finished until April. I had counted on this river as my go to stream. So I drove on up the other day, and damn if they didn't publish they release schedule but for the first time in quite a while the release wasn't even predictable based on the earlier releases in the week. It was already late in the day, and now there was no hope to fish as the water continued to flow. But it wasn't all bad I did find a puck of flies, two streamers and a bobber thing. So I made some calls and made plans to fish the next day, starting out on a marginal warm water river and then planned to catch falling water up on the trout stream.

2016 - 84

I worked in the morning and finished up by 12:30 and drove an hour north and parked at the end of the road under an overpass. Rigging up I caught a good whiff of DSFK and looked around.

The river waited...

Incoming TEXT from Jason

JD "Yo. I'm thinking about going tomorrow"
WB "GF birthday"
JD "She'll be aight (sic)
WB "I do not have a death wish"
JD "LOL, 10-4, I'll post a report"

Damn, damn, damn

WB to GF "We are getting together tomorrow, Right?"

NO REPLY....

Fished it for a couple of discouraging hours before heading up the road to finish up the day with some trout and IPAs.

to be continued in the Smith River Thread...

me -There's a season?

acesover