Shoot first post newbie intro later

Started by bamafisher, January 08, 2016, 12:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamafisher

This is gonna be disappointing, I don't have many pics of the past. I'm generally not a fan of taking pics, but I plan to in the future. I'm originally from Alabama, was in the Marine Corps for 10 years as a Huey Crewchief.
[attachimg=1]

I use to wrench on and ride Harley's
[attachimg=2]

Traded steel horses in for real horses.
[attachimg=3]

I started out saltwater fly fishing from a kayak when I was stationed in NC, chasing redfish around tidal creeks and marshes. I moved to Roanoke area about 2 years ago, and pretty much didn't fish for a year cause I didn't want to go out anywhere. I got lucky enough to hook up with the folks from Project Healing Waters who have been awesome to me. They got me out fishing again and its been good for my soul and mind. I hope to get some good photos of fish to share in the future.

Oh yeah.....ROLL TIDE
Then He said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Mathew 4:19
"The first time you blow someone away is not an insignificant event. That said, there are some assholes in the world that just need to be shot." Gen Mattis, USMC

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

JWJ

I've got family out your way. Penhook, Glade Hill and Snow Creek.

Take mo pics.

bamafisher

Penhook is chill, I have a hell of a commute to Roanoke each day but its worth it to be away from everything. Wish there were some trout streams closer, but who knows maybe one day I'll actually fish on SML.
Then He said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Mathew 4:19
"The first time you blow someone away is not an insignificant event. That said, there are some assholes in the world that just need to be shot." Gen Mattis, USMC

Dougfish

You need a Smith R. introduction.
Soon, you'll be as bald as me.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

bamafisher

I've fished the Smith a couple of times but had minimal luck, caught a few but nothing of much size. My brother in law, who now lives in Reno, tried to talk me on to some spots there, but I just didn't have the touch. I haven't been there since August. I actually called Philpott earlier today but they didn't have the recording updated yet for tomorrow's discharge. I'd like to hit it up.

Jfey

All very good stuff and glad to hear about working with Project Healing Waters.  Some  of the local NC guys are pretty involved with it and its a great program.

Its unfortunate to hear that you are an Alabama fan, but at least its not Michigan.   :D

Go Bucks!
Yup, going fishing

themidge

Quote from: Jfey on January 08, 2016, 14:06:37 PM
All very good stuff and glad to hear about working with Project Healing Waters.  Some  of the local NC guys are pretty involved with it and its a great program.

Its unfortunate to hear that you are an Alabama fan, but at least its not Michigan.   :D

Go Bucks!

Awesome! PHW is great, a buddy of mine, Wes, whom you may know is very involved with them. We would fish and drink together at VT. Welcome aboard.

Michael Toris

Al

Stay tuned. SRTU will be helping with a Veterans Appreciation event up near Meadows of Dan again this year. Don't know all the details yet but the date is May 14th.

Some of us will also point you in the right direction on the Smith once it warms up and they get the generation schedule back to normal.

NCsporksman

Pansyman

Welcome and let me be the first to say
" Thank you for being a Marine,
thank you for doing a job very few could do!

pay no attention to most of these leftist pukes who are way cooler than me or even themselves :;!

Oh yeah

Buck Fama

GBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can lead a horticulture<br />but you can't make her think.<br /><br />Only users lose weed.

RiverbumCO

My real name is Chad Farthouse.

bamafisher

I've decided because everyone has been so nice that I'll name all you Bama haters honorary Tide fans for Monday so that you can experience a 16th national championship. You're welcome.

No boat. Would make it a lot easier to fish SML. The Smith is the closest trout water so I would definitely like to fish it more and learn the waters.

All that bad stuff I heard about you guys was wrong. Y'all are pretty CHILL.

Onslow

Bama dude, be sure to check to check out your Foothills smallie streams.  There are several around SML such as Goose and Pigg.  Some have excellent stretches of habitat.  I would venture to guess you are capable of located habit using GE.  Any drainage over 200 sq. mile is fair game for me to float.  I've pulled my yak up bass rivers as small as 90 sq. mi..  At least 100 cfs is typically what one will need for a downriver float.

This should help.
http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2006/1308/pdf/OFR2006-1308.pdf