Yellowstone Trip Planning

Started by swervinmervin, January 03, 2016, 21:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swervinmervin

Recently been invited by some distant cousins to visit Powell, WY sometime in the medium future. Trip would be me, my wife (casual angler), my mom (no way), and my dad (experienced angler). Powell is about 2.5 hours from the heart of Yellowstone and I'd love to find a few days to camp/hike/fish whether guided or not. Anyone have any experience with trips out there?

Jfey

Its been a few years since I've been there, but its not hard to find good fishing.   My best suggestion would be to find a fly shop near the entrance and ask them.  You will likely get sent to one of the many popular spots, but that should be ok, especially if you are on limited time.

The Lamar and Soda Butte are easily acccesible streams and have plenty of  cutthroats roaming around.  They see lots of flies, so switch patterns often.  I had lots of luck fishing various terrestrial patterns a foot of less off the banks when there were no hatches.   If you want to get out and hike, I would suggest the second meadow of Slough Creek.  Its a bit of a hike(6 miles?) to get there, but the fishing and scenery are great.   Just keep an eye out for any wildlife that may try to eat you(bears).   Bring bear spray if you go anywhere off the beaten path.

The Madison is always a decent option if you are coming in from W Yellowstone. 

If you come in through Gardiner, then Yellowstone and Gardiner rivers should be good choices.   You could get a guide to float you on the Yellowstone and throw hoppers all day. 

Most of the fishing is well documented online and in various guide books so once you know which entrance you will be coming through, that should help in your decisions.  Also, there is outstanding fishing opportunities outside of Yellowstone.  I'm not familiar with the Powell area, but I suspect there would be some pretty good fishing close to where you are staying.

Many, many options.  Have fun!
Yup, going fishing

NCsporksman

Take a horseback ride into the backcountry and tell the dude u wanna fish.

Did this when I was 13 with my pops....about 2 hours into the backcountry on a stream about 10 feet wide. Brought about 12 cutts to hand before the guy even had the horses tied up. Was about a 60 fish day on dries with some cutts up to 16". Super punishing on the sack but worth it.