News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

We are doomed

Started by Woolly Bugger, November 12, 2015, 21:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

Yes, TC.  Nothing but a bunch of entitled illiberal twat-mouthed losers.  Any true liberal should be appalled by their behavior.

sanjuanwormhatch

I think most of this is fake outrage for all parties involved - students, news, and those who are getting so worked up about it.

I also read some totally tasteless twatter feeds from some of those unbelievably selfish students (if their twatters are a direct reflection on them) about the paris events.  Made my blood boil. 

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on November 16, 2015, 09:02:32 AM
I think most of this is fake outrage for all parties involved - students, news, and those who are getting so worked up about it.

I also read some totally tasteless twatter feeds from some of those unbelievably selfish students (if their twatters are a direct reflection on them) about the paris events.  Made my blood boil. 

Draft them for the next crusade!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

tomato can

Quote from: troutfanatic on November 15, 2015, 09:02:58 AM
Stephen,

I won't argue against the idea that campus activism has virtue; it surely does.

Yah if campus activism has virtue. what is is it?  Shouldn't you be C&C Descarte and Locke?  or wrestling with Faulkner?  Shakespearean sonnets? or honing your powers of observation for the Scientific Method?  discussing Einstein relativity vs Newtonian physics? The French Revolution?  Orwell?  writing papers?  Studying? Drinking beer? Chasing tail?   Repeating Big Muddy's slop of virtuous campus activism declares that you need a refund for your education.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: troutfanatic on November 16, 2015, 18:17:30 PM

Progress!

QuoteProtesters at Dartmouth University disrupted students studying in the library, reportedly directing profanity towards white students and physically pushing others.

In a critical editorial, the conservative Dartmouth Review listed some of the epithets hurled by the protesters: "Fuck you, you filthy white fucks!" "Fuck you and your comfort!" "Fuck you, you racist shits!"

http://www.mediaite.com/online/dartmouth-protesters-disrupt-students-in-library-fck-you-you-filthy-white-fcks/

Stuff like this , I just don't understand, and the assumption of "white privilege" galls me. They want it all, and they want it now, without having to put any effort into getting it.

None of these folks probably know what it's like to actually be poor. I do. I grew up poor as a shithouse rat. I wonder how many of these "underprivileged" folks have ever had to hoe endless rows of tobacco, or toss 100-pound bales of hay all day in the 90 degree heat? I wonder how many of them have ever had to use an outhouse in freezing weather, or haul all their water in a bucket from a spring? Or tend a 2-acre garden and dig and store potatoes and prep and can vegetables and kill and butcher hogs and cure it in the smokehouse so that they could eat that winter? Or milk a cow to get milk and butter? I wonder if they've ever had to spend half the summer cutting and splitting firewood so that they didn't freeze that winter? Or cooked their meals on a wood-fired cookstove?

I know all these things, because that's how I grew up. Half the older members of my family had no electricity or indoor plumbing. The first jobs I had were maximum work for minimum wage hard, grueling manual labor. Instead of protesting that I needed to be making $15 an hour, I set out to make myself worth $15 an hour. What education I have, I worked for and paid for, and studied while working full time. I've worked two shifts a day in factories for months on end before to keep going. I don't have much now compared to many, but I have a little comfort. And by God, I've worked my ass off for the last 35 years to earn it. So they can shut the fuck up and face reality. The world doesn't owe you a living, you have to go earn it.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

sanjuanwormhatch

Quote from: Dylar on November 16, 2015, 19:40:28 PM
I have to say I'm basically ok with the Mizzou shit, for the most part.  I knew a couple of people there, and there was definitely some serial, ongoing racial harassment directed at black students.  The school administration was basically useless and unresponsive to student complaints.  The students there had genuine grievances, they picked a target who wasn't just some peon functionary, and the methods they applied—moral and economic pressure—are in the finest traditions of non-violent protest.  The scene on the quad got a little out of hand, but you're talking about 18, 19, 20 year old kids in an emotionally charged situation, and, to be frank, I can understand their frustration at the way the media always tries to insert itself into the story (i.e. it became not the story of the protest, but the story of how they, your indefatigable press-credentialed truth hounds, were unjustly shut out of a story).  That would infuriate me too, not make me cooperative.

Can you provide examples?

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: troutfanatic on November 17, 2015, 08:59:06 AM
Ignorance is not bliss.

ignoring a problem doesn't mean it goes away.

[attach=1]

Correct, it is not bliss.  The so-called problem will not be ignored.  Administrators and proprietors, whomever, along with students, will address the issue.

A handful of students, perhaps misguided, confused, and/or wide of the mark, ain't much of a problem when compared to other aberrant matters.  It is a tiny pimple on our ass and it does not require the entire country to lance it.

And what are we (an angling forum) prepared to do?  Can we help?  Are we in a position to help?  Or do we just whine and bitch?  And do we reminisce about our younger lives and how rough we had it, and somehow this will help when in actuality how we grew up has nothing to do with curing the so-called problem or any problem for that matter? 

Too many negative waves can be toxic. 

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

flatlander

All I know is that I am sure enjoying all the racial healing the Obama administration ushered in.  That and world peace.  and receding sea levels.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Flatlander on November 17, 2015, 10:54:48 AM
All I know is that I am sure enjoying all the racial healing the Obama administration ushered in.  That and world peace.  and receding sea levels.

Nobel prize and all...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Aka

Quote from: Yallerhammer on November 17, 2015, 08:12:30 AM

Progress!

QuoteProtesters at Dartmouth University disrupted students studying in the library, reportedly directing profanity towards white students and physically pushing others.

In a critical editorial, the conservative Dartmouth Review listed some of the epithets hurled by the protesters: "Fuck you, you filthy white fucks!" "Fuck you and your comfort!" "Fuck you, you racist shits!"

http://www.mediaite.com/online/dartmouth-protesters-disrupt-students-in-library-fck-you-you-filthy-white-fcks/

Stuff like this , I just don't understand, and the assumption of "white privilege" galls me. They want it all, and they want it now, without having to put any effort into getting it.

None of these folks probably know what it's like to actually be poor. I do. I grew up poor as a shithouse rat. I wonder how many of these "underprivileged" folks have ever had to hoe endless rows of tobacco, or toss 100-pound bales of hay all day in the 90 degree heat? I wonder how many of them have ever had to use an outhouse in freezing weather, or haul all their water in a bucket from a spring? Or tend a 2-acre garden and dig and store potatoes and prep and can vegetables and kill and butcher hogs and cure it in the smokehouse so that they could eat that winter? Or milk a cow to get milk and butter? I wonder if they've ever had to spend half the summer cutting and splitting firewood so that they didn't freeze that winter? Or cooked their meals on a wood-fired cookstove?

I know all these things, because that's how I grew up. Half the older members of my family had no electricity or indoor plumbing. The first jobs I had were maximum work for minimum wage hard, grueling manual labor. Instead of protesting that I needed to be making $15 an hour, I set out to make myself worth $15 an hour. What education I have, I worked for and paid for, and studied while working full time. I've worked two shifts a day in factories for months on end before to keep going. I don't have much now compared to many, but I have a little comfort. And by God, I've worked my ass off for the last 35 years to earn it. So they can shut the fuck up and face reality. The world doesn't owe you a living, you have to go earn it.

I grew up without running water. We had to drive 2 miles to hike up to a spring with 5 gal. buckets for water. Our outhouse was a few hundred yards down a trail from the house. Slept five kids in one 12' x 16' bedroom on the second floor (that was the entire 2nd floor). Access and egress was via a homemade ladder through a 4' x 4' hole in the floor. We had a pee can for the boys to use in the winter. I cut down trees, chopped wood, hauled water and did all that stuff that makes guys with running water and electricity feel like a man when I was 12.

I spent grades 7 - 12 living with my two older brothers without my parents. My oldest brother moved out when I was going into 9th grade, other brother moved out when I was going into junior year. Spent the last two years on my own in high school. Still had to have drinking water and wood for the stove. in high school I worked 12 - 16 hour days on fishing boats during the summers to make money (I averaged over $150/ day in the late eighties - early nineties).

Looking back, I had it pretty good. I had opportunities that few have. There are grown men with families to support making less now than I made when I was in high school 20 some years ago. No one tried to force me into a gang. I didn't have parents strung out on drugs or drunk all the time. No one was getting beat or verbally abused. My community basically glossed over the fact that I was 12 and living with my 14 & 16 year old brothers or when I was 16 and living on my own in an extremely harsh environment. I never asked for help but if I would have I'm sure I would have gotten it. No one took advantage of me, I had .357, .22 (rifle & pistol), 20 gauge and .30-06 (still have them) that would perhaps keep someone from snooping around when I was home but no one came by when I was gone either.

My wife is an ESL teacher in an impoverished county here in NC and if you knew a fraction of the shit that those kids are saddled with it would make you cry. My childhood (and yours from the way you described it) don't come close to comparing to what they have to go through. I can put on a pair of slacks, button down shirt, socks with my loafers and fool people into thinking I'm not some hick kid from the poor side of outer bumfuck but these kids will grow up and have to strike out on their own and they will be a part of a group that is discriminated against and not offered the same opportunities because of who they are.   

Yallerhammer

Quote from: AKAaron on November 17, 2015, 12:29:19 PM
Quote from: Yallerhammer on November 17, 2015, 08:12:30 AM

Progress!

I grew up without running water. We had to drive 2 miles to hike up to a spring with 5 gal. buckets for water. Our outhouse was a few hundred yards down a trail from the house. Slept five kids in one 12' x 16' bedroom on the second floor (that was the entire 2nd floor). Access and egress was via a homemade ladder through a 4' x 4' hole in the floor. We had a pee can for the boys to use in the winter. I cut down trees, chopped wood, hauled water and did all that stuff that makes guys with running water and electricity feel like a man when I was 12.

I spent grades 7 - 12 living with my two older brothers without my parents. My oldest brother moved out when I was going into 9th grade, other brother moved out when I was going into junior year. Spent the last two years on my own in high school. Still had to have drinking water and wood for the stove. in high school I worked 12 - 16 hour days on fishing boats during the summers to make money (I averaged over $150/ day in the late eighties - early nineties).

Looking back, I had it pretty good. I had opportunities that few have. There are grown men with families to support making less now than I made when I was in high school 20 some years ago. No one tried to force me into a gang. I didn't have parents strung out on drugs or drunk all the time. No one was getting beat or verbally abused. My community basically glossed over the fact that I was 12 and living with my 14 & 16 year old brothers or when I was 16 and living on my own in an extremely harsh environment. I never asked for help but if I would have I'm sure I would have gotten it. No one took advantage of me, I had .357, .22 (rifle & pistol), 20 gauge and .30-06 (still have them) that would perhaps keep someone from snooping around when I was home but no one came by when I was gone either.

My wife is an ESL teacher in an impoverished county here in NC and if you knew a fraction of the shit that those kids are saddled with it would make you cry. My childhood (and yours from the way you described it) don't come close to comparing to what they have to go through. I can put on a pair of slacks, button down shirt, socks with my loafers and fool people into thinking I'm not some hick kid from the poor side of outer bumfuck but these kids will grow up and have to strike out on their own and they will be a part of a group that is discriminated against and not offered the same opportunities because of who they are.

Bingo. I grew up without much money, but at least I had the love and support of good parents and family and a sense of community. And people to teach me how to be self-reliant, and tell me that I could do whatever I set my mind to. Life has always been rough in these mountains, but the meth and oxy scourge that we didn't have when I was growing up has changed a lot of demographics for the worse since then. I feel sorry for kids growing up these days.

Any minorities can say what they want, but they're not discriminated against any more in this country than poor hillbillies, and that's a fact. I have unashamedly held on to my native Appalachian accent, and don't care who likes it; because it's who I am. But I'm looked down on every day by someone just because of the way I speak. I will write English, but I refuse to speak it.  :D

Yallerhammer

Quote from: troutfanatic on November 17, 2015, 08:37:05 AM
Yaller,

Pretty much  how I see it. I didn't grow up poor, but my parents damn sure weren't rich. My grandparents had that experience for us. Its supposed to get better with each generation for my family it has.
I question how much poverty and oppression a young adolescent who is attending Dartmouth  knows about. And that is regardless of their melanin content. I'll say this, If I am in a library and these fuckheads disrupt me with their bullshit, you'll be hearing about it on the news. I won't hesitate to crack a fucking skull wide open and I consider myself a fairly liberal guy... at least on social issues. Government may continue fucking off.

And they're too stupid to realize that the very reason those folks in the library will turn out to be more "privileged" in the long run is that they're in there studying and trying to better themselves while the other students are running around being #perpetually offended and protesting everything that is not perfect in their lives instead of working to fix it.

Aka

I understand this thread is supposed to be a place where folks can gather comfortably and bitch about the newest contrived controversy but you all do know that free tuition is coming right? It'll be here before you know it along with universal health care and free preschool. 

:D