News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Croaker Run part 2.......Fail

Started by shropp, October 22, 2015, 09:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shropp

Lack of fishing this year has resulted in lack of contributions from me so I had high hopes for this annual Oct. trip..

Work got busy with abundant mandatory overtime that led to little preparation time and before I knew it, time was running out. Found the brackets and a welder to attach the t-top, then Bums glass worked sparked me to make a homemade (custom) t-top box.  All of my sparse free time consisted of finishing the box, mounting and wiring, lights, switches, etc.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

T-top complete, I make some test runs to find out the motor has decided to run with hiccups, surges, spastic behavior.  My first though was fuel issues, install water separator filter and treat with seafoam, problem still exists.

Work shift changes to 7 day weeks, so no more time to fool with it. Find a guy, drop it off and he diagnoses it as stator problem. With tight deadline and 2 weeks of torrential rains I was surprised to get it back with one week til departure.  I do another 45min test run and no problems...good problem solved.

Pack up and head out Fri. evening, Sat. wind blows all day.  Gray and bum are supposed to come down beginning of week, bum bails and due to weather forecast, Gray delays til Wed.

Wake up at 4:30am Sun to wife in intense pain, trip to ER...gallstones. We'll get that removed when we get back she says.  Slight set back but on the water at 1:00pm headed to the inlet in search of albies finally.

Well that was short lived, 2 sputters and shes done. Know a guy from hotel that was close by for a tow in.  Now to find a quick mechanic.....again.

Find a guy Mon. Drop boat off at 1pm get it back at 5pm. Pleased with the turnaround time, turns out stator wasn't the issue, power pack. Now $1200 in I have all new electrical system on motor other than ignition.

Rush out for quick evening trip and find some gray trout to save the day.
Tues...wind blows no fish
Wed...wind blows no fish, gray arrives late.
Thurs...wind lays down and comes out of north. Head out the inlet, choppy but manageable. Find some boats, birds, and fish. Bait balls are small and fish are up then down within a min. We run and gun for a couple hours to many schools that drop before we can reach them. The wife hooks up on light tackle.

I play guide for the day and try hard to put Gray on a school. After numerous frustrating attempts and fly changes, I cant resist and grab spinning rod to pitch one in.

The rest of the morning we chase school after school for Gray. Several well placed casts and follows all come up empty.  The fish finally go down for good, wind shifts and we head back in. After noon inlet is too rough so we hit the beach for a shot at something.

Fri... rough but we try again. Make it out and its worse than we though, after Gray bust his knee on the console from the swells, we head back in.
Sat....last chance. Head out the inlet and seas are calmest we've seen. Run up beach...no birds/fish. Run down beach...no birds/fish.  Run out from beach...no birds/fish.  Call it at 11:00am to go pack and head home.  Inside inlet we find birds...and fish. Small blues blitzing everywhere for about 2hrs til we call it quits. I strictly navigate boat in current and wind and passed on fishing to let wife and Gray have the fun. If no albies then I guess this is a day saver.

Lots of variables seemed to be against us this year but we managed to scratch out a few despite the set backs. Hopefully next year will be a different story.

Cheers.

Transylwader

That son of Ghey. I like his Howler Bray hat. Alas, it's not a pissing Monkey p;-

Dougfish

G=Crayfish.  n!n

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Dougfish on October 22, 2015, 09:29:56 AM
G=Crayfish.  n!n

Unbelievable!!!!!  Just as well.  Gray: (adjective) dull and nondescript; without interest or character.  It fits the peckerwood!

Plus, any encounters with the locals, if "Gray" was along, could lead to Deliverance-like liabilities.  He's lost any mountain savvy he ever had.  He's an interloper, a flatlander, a chee-chopper, a reddit whore, a Howler Bros. monkey dick, a Howler Monkey Dung Beetle ---- He's relegated to level land forever! 

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

TheYiman

Thanks for the ride.  Despite setbacks, Albies were found, sweet!  'c;