News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith River 2 May 06

Started by Al, May 06, 2006, 20:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

I took a fellow to the lower end of the Special Regulations section on the Smith River early last week. The water was very clear with some sort of pollen film covering the surface. We struggled to catch a handful.  The fish were there because we could see an occasional dimple in the water but we were not able to figure them out before the generation surge forced us off the water.

My client was game for more fishing but did not have the required trout licence which would have allowed us to move downstream ahead of the generation flow. I was able to save the day by taking him to a nearby secluded private pond where I have a Jon boat which I share with a friend who owns the place. We were soon all smiles and catching big bream and frisky bass about every other cast on poppers and bream bugs. This pond has saved my fat on more then one occasion.

I have since talked with a few folks who fished the Smith later on in the week and they report that it is fishing well for them. There was a change in the weather moving through the day we were there. Perhaps that slowed down the trout bite. It certainly did not have an adverse effect on the bass and bream.

Woolly Bugger

Al, did they change the release schedule on you?
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Al

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on May 06, 2006, 20:29:25 PM
Al, did they change the release schedule on you?

Nope - That day it was 10am - 3pm, which put the water down at lower end of Spec Reg about noon. Seems like most of this week it has been middle of the day generating.

Had to call the Philpott manager to remind them to update the schedule  o-o, as of 9am on Monday they were still announcing the week before schedule. They are usually pretty good about changing it on Friday but seems that from time to time they either forget to do so, or the folks higher up fail to forward the new schedule to them before they all go home for weekend. (BTW did you know they don't actually start up and shut down the generators from Philpott? - it is done with a remote switch from somewhere else)