• Welcome to Pretentious Snobby Bastard Fly Fishing!. Please login or sign up.
November 27, 2021, 06:51:41 AM

News:

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Minnisoda Driftless

Started by Dougfish, September 07, 2015, 20:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Big J

Nice browns.  Look forward to the other installments.

Grannyknot

"work trip"

I saw the itinerary & # of flies doug tied.

Should have taken a picture of his dining room table.  No dining could have taken place there.

I'm jealous.

Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

NCsporksman

you sux dude....I wish my work territory had some wisconson, minesoda or oregon innit  V:;

Aka

Why dayfuk can I not see the pictures? Doug  you blocking me you mofo?

Jfey

Fugger.  Have  fun "working"

Yup, going fishing

OldDominionAngler

September 08, 2015, 16:48:36 PM #7 Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 16:51:52 PM by OldDominionAngler

Wonder if you could make a workers comp claim for LDRs?

Dougfish

September 08, 2015, 20:29:36 PM #8 Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 22:32:37 PM by Dougfish

Aaaaaron, sorry, you're not blocked. You're just afflicted.

The rest of you,  n!n.

Fishing is not too hot, don't be jealous.

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="800" height="599" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">

Dougfish

September 09, 2015, 22:36:12 PM #9 Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 07:10:11 AM by Dougfish

Last year I had a chance to squeeze in some Driftless fishing while traveling for work. I choose Wisconsin, and the land of cheese did not disappoint. I decided to try and make this work each year, some how, some way. I was scheduled to be in Minnesota 3 times this year, so I started planning for the streams below and east of Rochester. The goal is to fish each state of the region.

My distributor's show starts Thursday and I had an easy set up on Wednesday afternoon. Fly out early Monday, fish that afternoon, fish all damn day Tuesday, and a half day Wednesday. I had done my homework, consulted a dude, worked some websites, looked at stream data and then made a list of ten+ streams within fifty miles of each other.

Monday's first stream was unappealing at three bridge crossings. Siltier bottom, lack of any structure. Number two looked like a winner. Except for limited access points. And cows.

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="800" height="599" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">

Traversed the live wire by the stile, dodged fresh patties and worked my way downstream. Water was crystal clear.
It took a while of switching flies and spooking a pile of fish before I scored.

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="476" height="634" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="800" height="565" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">

Helenium, Sneezeweed. And excellent fly/leader/line catcher. In fact, everything, ev-er-ry-thing was way stronger than 5x. And magnetic.

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="800" height="612" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">

This is their Nettle. Ask me how I found out? Fuck! The stuff lit me up when I was, yes, retrieving a hung up fly. Forceps were used after that.

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="476" height="634" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="800" height="510" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="456" height="634" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">

Meh, nice few fish. But not the numbers I had hoped for. Maybe tomorrow?

Woke up at 3 AM to a ferocious thunderstorm. Oh fudge. I slept fitfully after that, as visions of muddy waters roiled through my head.
(Of course I had stayed up, watched my team get swatted, drank too much, and spent too much time on the 'puter.)

Rolled down to the Preston area. The self proclaimed mecca of MN trout fishing. Small town America at it's best.

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="745" height="634" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="800" height="569" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">

And home to the S. Branch of The Root River.

Dingy, slow, deep, brush crowded. How is this moderately skilled white boy gonna fish that? Without a canoe?
Moved upstream.  b';

Reoccurring theme?

Manageable, still very dingy, and nothing happening. Pools, long runs, riffles, undercut banks. Nothing. One bump on a streamer.
Skunked on a famous stream. n!n
Moved on.

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="800" height="569" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">

Did not fish this. It's just down from a customer I sold some stuff to just a couple weeks ago. Extra muddy. But lovely.

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="784" height="634" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">

I decided to look at some smaller streams on my list. Maybe running clear?

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="800" height="408" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="800" height="572" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="794" height="634" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">

Spooked a gazillion fish, caught a handful. Tried one more N-S running stream at the end of the day to avoid the sun and found it high and muddy. Went up a couple of crossings and hopped in. Nadda, nothing, until I lost one right before quitting. Cow churned fields and streams won.

Wednesday was a short day, so I went back to stream one. A fellow told me further upstream was better.
He lied.

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="800" height="505" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">

The stream had cleared up some after rising and falling about 18". The fish were hunkered down. And refusing most anything.
I worked my way up about two miles through a big herd of beef to the "honey hole". It was a good looking long run with two long deep sections. I tied on a small streamer and started in. After ten minutes, I had a fish on.
A brookie hammered that little sculpin.

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="800" height="496" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">

And that was the zenith of the day. I had two tugs, one quick un-button, two buttery rolls and flashes, and then I snipped off the last of the minner/sculpins I had tried. Tied on a bug and went up a little feeder and snagged another brookie before I hit posted land. Hiked out to the road and death marched back to the rental car.

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="800" height="624" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">

Drank a beer, ate some lunch, and watched some nimrod in neoprene waders trying to high stick in front of the parking area.
I decided to walk down to Monday's spot and try again.

But the gods said No. Not today, Doug. The water change just put the fish bite down. The only eager fish were on little trickles.
Stampeded the bovines on the way back to the car. That was satisfying.  :;!
Of course they sloshed across the stream.

" class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">

Goodbye (on Saturday) MN. I still love ya, just not your streams. Wisconsin has it really going on. More water, better access, better landholder agreements on keeping cattle out of streams. Better everything? Hell, even my chips, summer sausage and cheese were Whiskey made.
Now I know.
Cows 1, Doug 0.

0:0

themidge

Al

Except for the actual catching that was a great report. Love your photos and creative descriptions. bd;0 bd;0 'c; Would have only been better if you'd discovered the nettles while making your own "human cow patty" ;D

benben reincarnated

I guess this is ok, can't completely discern as none of the fucking pics load in tapatalk. 

Aka

Quote from: benben on September 10, 2015, 08:19:23 AM

I guess this is ok, can't completely discern as none of the fucking pics load in tapatalk.

They won't load on my computer or on my ipad either. I've never really cared for any of Doug E Fresh's pictures before but now that I can't see them I really want to. Oh the irony.

Big J

Quote from: AKAaron on September 10, 2015, 09:17:14 AM

Quote from: benben on September 10, 2015, 08:19:23 AM

They won't load on my computer or on my ipad either. I've never really cared for any of Doug E Fresh's pictures before but now that I can't see them I really want to. Oh the irony.
:laugh:

Good trip pics Doug. 

#CommissionsEarned