News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Unlimited bear news

Started by Woolly Bugger, August 09, 2015, 15:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Yallerhammer

Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Woolly Bugger

On the morning of Friday, May 28, 2021, a male, age 39, sustained injuries from a bear while hiking on the Beaver Ponds Trail at Mammoth Hot Springs.
The incident occurred approximately 1.5 miles from the trailhead that originates from the Old Gardiner Road.
The male was hiking alone when he encountered what he believed to be two grizzly bears. One bear made contact with the hiker and he sustained significant injuries to his lower extremities but was able to hike out on his own. 
He was transported to Livingston Hospital by park ambulance.
The Beaver Ponds Trail is closed until further notice. Bear management staff are sweeping the trail to ensure no other hikers are on the trail.
There are no further details to share at this time.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/news/210528.htm
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

jwgnc

Our bears don't usually visit till June, but this cub nosed around below the house today.  Not the best pic through the window screen, but he didn't like it when I opened the deck door and he took off.You cannot view this attachment.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

jwgnc

So I was thinking maybe a high-end Orbit 62100 Yard Enforcer, but ...

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on September 12, 2020, 14:53:42 PMBear found scavenging on human remains at GSMNP backcountry campsite

> Hikers found the body at campsite 82 near the Hazel Creek Trail Friday afternoon. The statement said the hikers first saw an unoccupied tent at the campsite and later found the body across a nearby creek, the statement said.

https://www.wbir.com/mobile/article/entertainment/places/great-smoky-mountains-national-park/bear-found-scavenging-on-human-remains-at-gsmnp-backcountry-campsite/51-faf5ac06-0651-4e8d-b5d3-ea7bd1b42173

Since nothing else was reported on the cause of death I sent a request for the autopsy report to the NC Chief Medical Examiner... we shall see ...
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Bear tranquilized, GSMNP visitors fined after feeding bear
According to investigators, witnesses documented the incident on video. The individuals responsible later confessed to their involvement.

>>>KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT) - Great Smoky Mountain National Park rangers issued a citation to visitors accused of feeding a bear peanut butter in Cades Cove.

According to investigators, witnesses documented the incident on video. The individuals responsible later confessed to their involvement.

"Managing wild bears in a park that receives more than 12 million visitors is an extreme challenge and we must have the public's help," Park Wildlife Biologist Bill Stiver said. "It is critical that bears never be fed or approached - for their protection and for human safety."

Officials said the bear had been feeding on walnuts for several weeks along Cades Cove Loop Road. Wildlife biologists said they suspected the bear had been fed after it started to exhibit, "food-conditioned behavior."

https://www.wvlt.tv/2021/06/07/bear-tranquilized-after-gsmnp-visitors-feed-it-peanut-butter/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

>>> ROBBINSVILLE, N.C. — After recent reports of bears stealing backpacks and food, the U.S. Forest Service is warning hikers and campers to take precautions when visiting a national forest in North Carolina.
https://wr.al/1Kj6H
me -There's a season?

Native Fisher

If your dumb enough to hike in a wilderness area and leave food in a place easily accessible to animals, then you deserve to have it taken.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Bear killed after attacking sleeping teen at Great Smoky Mountains campsite
The teen was transported to the University of Tennessee Medical Center by the Tennessee Army National Guard at approximately 9:00 a.

https://www.wvlt.tv/2021/06/18/bear-killed-after-attacking-sleeping-16-year-old-gsmnp-campsite/

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT) - Officials with the Great Smoky Mountain National Park have closed Backcountry Campsite 29 in the Cosby section of the park after a 16-year-old was attacked by a bear Friday.

According to park rangers, the incident happened around 12:20 a.m. Friday when a 16-year-old girl was attacked and injured by a bear while sleeping in a hammock at the campsite.

The campsite is located 5.7 miles from the Maddron Bald Trailhead.

The teen was transported to the University of Tennessee Medical Center by the Tennessee Army National Guard at approximately 9:00 a.m.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

>>>A Tennessee Army National Guard medical flight crew responded to an emergency air evacuation mission after a camper was attacked and injured by a bear while sleeping in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park area on June 18.

Shortly before 7 a.m. Friday, the Tennessee Military Department and Tennessee Emergency Management Agency were notified of a camper in distress at a backcountry campsite about 5.7 miles from the Maddron Bald Trailhead. Requiring immediate medical care, the Tennessee National Guard was alerted for a helicopter rescue.

A UH-60 Blackhawk helicopter from Detachment 1, Company C, 1-171st Aviation Regiment based in Knoxville assembled in under an hour and launched to the incident site, arriving at the campsite at 8:45 a.m.

https://www.wate.com/news/local-news/how-a-bear-attack-victim-was-brought-out-of-the-smoky-mountain-backcountry/
me -There's a season?

jwgnc

"Park rangers said all the family's backpacks and food were properly stored on aerial food storage cables."

If a tree falls in the woods ... a bear can smell it.

Woolly Bugger

>>> Blue Ridge Parkway officials announced that Friday June 18, 2021 through June 24, 2021, tents and soft-sided campers are temporarily prohibited at Mount Pisgah Campground. The campground, located near Milepost 408, has seen increasing bear activity in recent days.   

They say a young bear has been entering occupied camp sites, coming too close to campers, and taking food from sites. Park rangers and wildlife biologists are responding to the area and will attempt to disassociate the bear from human food rewards so all camping can resume, Blue Ridge Parkway officials said
https://myfox8.com/news/tents-soft-sided-campers-temporarily-prohibited-at-campground-on-blue-ridge-parkway-for-bear-activity/
me -There's a season?