A river runs near my front yard

Started by Onslow, August 05, 2015, 19:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

Yesterday, a material deliver came up a bit short, and with no other pressing needs at other jobs, I took today off. 

The local was running very low, perhaps the lowest flow since 2008.  The section of river at and upstream of my house is very narrow for it's volume which makes it very tough to fish about 90% of the year.  It typically runs about 800 cfs when its low, but today, 398 cfs. 

The water had just cleared up and Summer windows are small.  As I write, the watershed is getting powerblasted and will be blown out in the AM.

I recent years, this river has been a royal bitch, and quite the prude.  Snags, slow fishing, and  broken rods have caused me to have very bitter feelings about this river even though I know for a fact this river produces great fish, not numbers.  Today, I learned what I've been doing wrong.  More on that later.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

My boy taking the lead

The Spotted Bass has frustrated my since picking up the long rod.  I have caught a few punes, but today I hooked on about 13 in lost it.  This runt smallie was the first in hand.

It is noon.  I have only land one fish and lost one.  Starting to get antsy.  Good water ahead, but no dice.  The boredom was broken briefly when I spotted a bass about 20" suspended  in some slack water.  It seemed not to be perturbed by my presence.  It's nonchalant attitude irritated me, so an attempt was made to jab it in the head with a paddle.  It moved a couple inches and I missed. 

More water, no fish.  Pulled off the river, switched reels on my 8 wt. and installed the Kraken with this sink and tied on a PE.  Started pounding some deep dark sandy bottom water and bingo.  With plenty of open water, the 18 incher gave me what for, but lost it after in made a jump. 

15 minutes later, this fella

Rocky shoals and ledges produce punes such as this. 

Lost another 2 pounder just above the take out.

In every stream and river that I have ever fished, the largest of small jaws have come from deep, calm, and yes SANDY bottom pools with the only exception being during the prespawn.  No more misconceptions about the dolomieu, and where to find the piggies.

Oh, and every one of these were caught from the kayak -+;

ptfranze

Nice Phallus!    'c; I really need to get out for some smallies, never caught one.  Trout are on the horizon this weekend though, so I guess I can't complain too much

benben reincarnated

Damn, nice smallies.

Quote from: Phallus in Wonderland on August 05, 2015, 19:22:07 PM

In every stream and river that I have ever fished, the largest of small jaws have come from deep, calm, and yes SANDY bottom pools with the only exception being during the prespawn.  No more misconceptions about the dolomieu, and where to find the piggies.

Very good to know.  There were a couple of sections like this where I fished in Monday.

Woolly Bugger

Maybe that's been my problem too, that and not gettin out enough
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Yallerhammer

Nice!  V:;

I'm gonna try to hit the river near my house for some of the same this weekend.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Transylwader

Fucking Phallus and his lurve of ebony butter. Haha, TLC for the , eh, never mind.
Well played Ken. I thought the smallie bastages would be closer to the Wilkes/Watooga Co line.

Dougfish

You go, Ken!  'c;

What's that barge all about?

Dee-Vo

Nice. I've been on those barges in that stretch a few times. I couldn't believe the condition of the river, sweet. Glad you hit it before that heavy shit moved in last night.

Onslow

Doug, those are sand pump barges.

Tranny, this stretch was mainly in east Wilkes.

Wade, I plan to spend more time on this river now that I've been made aware of the possibilities there.  I does take time to get comfortable throwing sink line from a low seating position however.  Gitcha a spare spool and fill er up with streamer express.

Spork and Keith, you all need to toon this  big girl.  Both of you tie some mean PEs that would kill. As soon as the T storm season shuts down, the water will clear much quicker.