News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Flying with Lures?

Started by TheYiman, August 04, 2015, 10:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheYiman

I am headed home to Charleston tomorrow.  I am flying and want to bring some flies and spinning lures with me.  I have flown carry on with flies a bunch of times no problem, but I have never flown with any lures with treble hooks.  Has anyone ever done so?  Will I be hassled for a small box with about 10 lures in it?  I don't really want to check it cause that little lure box seems pretty easy to walk away.

bmadd

Tackle Equipment

Sharp fishing tackle that may be considered dangerous, such as large fish hooks, should be sheathed, securely wrapped, and packed in your checked luggage. Like other high-value objects, you may wish to pack expensive reels or fragile tackle that does not pose a security threat (small flies) in your carry-on baggage.
. .

From The TSA's website. You may have seen that already. I think it's going to be hit or miss on who's checking your carry on probaby. Bass size trebles or bigger?

TheYiman

Thanks Braden.  Yea, I got that tab pulled up next to this one and my feelings were the same.  It's kind of a crap shoot as to the individual at the gate.  I might just check it.  And you're right about the size, large bass lures and there about.

bmadd

Never know man. May try covering them the best you can, argue that they are very valuable and costly to replace if lost and give it your best shot. Gate check them at worst case scenario.

Airline?

TheYiman

That's a point. And they do mention valuables as something to check.  Southwest.

Grannyknot

I usually ship my stuff ups a few days before I fly.
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

TheYiman

Yeah that would have been a good idea.