Grey Reef Casper WY

Started by rjs123, August 02, 2015, 16:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs123

I just back home to KC from a great trip on the Grey Reef. As some of you know I do 19th century tintype photography. There was an event at Fort Casper that they wanted me to attend. They bribed me by offering my a drift boat trip on the Grey Reef. How could I refuse!  The event went well and I fished the entire week after catching many fish. I caught 30 fish on the float trip and learned a lot from my guide Blake Jackson, owner of Crazy Rainbow Fly Fishing and the Ugly Bug Fly Shop in Casper. It helped me to catch fish all week. I caught probably 100 fish and hooked and lost easily 3 times that amount. The best fly for me was a number 18 Mayhem Midge in Gray. If you have never fished there you need to add it to your bucket list. What an amazing river. Average size of the rainbows is around 17 to 18 inches. I here it can be crowded in the spring but it wasnt bad at all this time of the year. Weeds can be a problem this time of year requiring you to clean it from your flys often but it was well worth the effort.  -Bob Szabo previously from Fieldale VA.

[attach=1]

[attach=2]

[attach=3]

[attach=4]

[attach=6]

[attach=5]

[attach=7]

[attach=8]

[attach=9]

[attach=10]

[attach=11]

[attach=12]

benben reincarnated

Those are some nice fish.

You took a bit of a hiatus from here.  I remember your pics from when you used to be active. 

flatlander

Woolly Bugger

Nice, followed a bit of this on FB
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

Damn, dude. Whipping up a blast of a TR from left field!
Nice fish, great pics. Glad you got the experience.  bd;0

rjs123

One thing I forgot to mention. They use 3x leader and 4x tippet there!   These fish aren't shy! :)

I have a video I did by putting my iPhone on the bank while I fished. Ill post a link to it when I have it up on YouTube.

I hooked 4 fish in 15 minutes and landed one of those.

Here is a screen shot from the video. Check out the fish out of the water to my right.

jwgnc

Great trip!  We thought you died of silver nitrate poisoning
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

rjs123

Not the most exciting fishing video but it does show how beautiful this river is. Just set my iPhone on the bank. Its near sundown on my last day there. Had this part of the river to myself. I hook 4 fish and land one in 15 minutes. Keep an eye out for the fish out of the water at around 1:00.

! No longer available

Dougfish

raz

looks like a damn good time.  i have a good buddy that just moved to cheyenne.  planning a visit next summer

Al

Great post Robert. Now that you are semi-retired don't be a stranger on BRFFF.  We need to start posting fishing stuff again.