WWD, Watauga Whirling Disease!

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 29, 2015, 19:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Michael Toris

I'm so glad the future stockers are safe.

Because,  fuck the wild population that may come into contact with it, right?

This is bad

benben reincarnated

Meh.  You don't like trout anyway G.

Michael Toris

Theoretically,  but actually? No. Better to let them die and contain it than attempt to treat it. Who knows what will happen with the "treatment"

Onslow

So it would be safe to make the assumption that the area preppy/faggot/flyfishing club types have shit in their own well?  Good for them.

A very large outfit in SE Va is rumored to have stocked 6000 brookie fingerlings in public trophy waters after being denied a permit.  Now ain't that some shit.

Transylwader

Where are those cuntflaps from Simms to jump on the "don't wear felt buy vibram" bandwagon? No wait, vibram is too expensive, we'll go back to felt and just lie about it.
Felt don't transport those fucking slimy aig lookin muthafuckers. STOCKERS DO p;-

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Ralyd on July 29, 2015, 20:30:27 PM
NCWRC hasn't said it yet, but I know several of you will have seen the pics on FB from the upper Nanty. It looks like a bigger problem than just the 'tauga.

So it seems to be in the Nantahala too? If it gets into Fontana, it could transfer to all the North Shore streams like Hazel, Forney, etc.  Sounds like some nasty stuff.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Transylwader

Quote from: steelrain202 on July 30, 2015, 14:16:37 PM
Steve Tatum
Pulling info on the fucker as I type this. I got hookups in the State to see whether fuckstick has permits to stock the Tooga. If he don't he better get a fucking lawyer. I can't stand these pricks who go stocking shit illegally. Don't get me started on the other twat. He's next on my hitlist.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

There's really not a damned thing that can be done.  I don't worry much about high gradient, clean wild trout waters.  The 2nd host, Tubifex worms, are found in certain oligotrophic waters but they favor soft sediments in rich organic matter.

See the below for potential good news for brookies.

"It turns out that brookies, a non-native species, aren't immune at all; most avoid infestation because they spawn in the fall. The fry emerge from eggs in February, when many streams are still too cold for the infected tubifex worms to release their lethal bounty of TAMs."  (from a western study)
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

tw5270

Ya they found the fish right behind my house. True the fish farm is just up the road and the asshole at grandfather vinery stocks fish in the wild section of the river fucking asshole Steve tatum

I actually asked the ass when I was there drinking his wine if I could fish and he acted like I shit in his mouth. Proceeded to tell me in a hauty voice that HE STOCKS FOR HIMSELF

raz

Quote from: tw5270 on July 30, 2015, 22:17:16 PM
Ya they found the fish right behind my house. True the fish farm is just up the road and the asshole at grandfather vinery stocks fish in the wild section of the river fucking asshole Steve tatum

I actually asked the ass when I was there drinking his wine if I could fish and he acted like I shit in his mouth. Proceeded to tell me in a hauty voice that HE STOCKS FOR HIMSELF

and when i rains i catch his big dumbtard stockies.  should we be chuckin the rainbow stockies on the bank?  or dog food mix?

tw5270

Wish there was a way to prove he introduced it by stocking so the state would not let him stock any more.

Al

When I first saw about this on NCWRC website I sent it to my contact in VDGIF to see if they were aware of it. They passed it on to their veterinarian who is the expert on fish and game disorders (Same here in NC - the staff vet is the expert)

Here is response:

Hey Al,  I sent your question to the VDGIF vet.  Below is what she returned;

"Whirling disease (WD) was first diagnosed in Virginia in 1965.  The distribution of WD in Virginia is not known.

While young rainbows are the most  susceptible (the parasite affects the soft cartilage of fish less than 3 – 4 inches and causes skeletal and neurological abnormalities), other species of trout may become infected.  It's much less commonly diagnosed in the other trout species, however.  Rainbows that survive the infection as youngsters become carriers as adults and can thereby spread the infection to other young rainbows, and the cycle continues.  Likewise, other species of trout may carry and transmit the parasite but may not show clinical signs of infection."

Not sure if this should be an area of extreme concern - seems it may be more common then we thought. If any of you have caught a rainbow which seems deformed it probably is as a result of WD (I have caught them that way - I remember some that came out of the stocking truck that way when I was volunteering at the NCWRC Pechmann Center so it is likely nothing new to NC)

tw5270

He has been reported.

NC DNR local says they are emptying all of their stocking tanks.

They will be sampling tomorrow if any one wants to talk to biologists that will be on the river.

Next step is to check all areas the state stocks.
Then check all stocking permits and places that are legally stocked.
Then investigate illegal stockings.

tw5270

Quote from: steelrain202 on August 03, 2015, 19:35:06 PM
There's only one section below me that is privately owned and it hasn't been stocked in quite sometime. The owner has been battling MERSA for over a yr.

I have picked up a few pig stockers downstream from you were I ran in to TF. My best guess is they came from whino's stocking, they still looked fresh from the tank.