VDGIF Smith River Sampling - Aug 11-13

Started by Al, August 02, 2015, 16:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

VDGIF will conduct their annual multi-location sampling of the Smith River Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, August 11-13. This is a wading sample and requires a large crew. Volunteers are always appreciated. If you don't feel comfortable wading there are several land based tasks you can assist with. You're also welcome to just come by to observe. This is always an eye opener - VDGIF Biologists welcome your questions.

Here is the projected schedule -  GPS locations are close to the actual locations.

Day 1:  August 11, 2015

1.      Meet at sampling site at 10 AM,  Yellow Stairs 36 47' 38" N by 80 01' 03 " W  (This is up the road going to the base of the dam - just before road turns to gravel)

2.      Travel to next sampling site (lunch)  Bassett Library 36 45' 45" N by 79 59' 45" W

3.      Travel to next sampling site,  Shady view Road 36 44' 15" N by 79 56' 24" W  (Site of the old church at dead end road on downstream side of 220 Bypass)

Day 2: August 12, 2015

1.      Meet at sampling site 9:00 AM, Bassett Mirror Plant 36 47' 14" N by 79 59" 51" W  (travel to the back side of the plant, through the field to the far left corner to the sampling site) sample and then have lunch (During the 2014 sample we moved the fish collected from this site to below MV Dam so it will be interesting to see if this site replenished itself)

2.      Travel to next sampling site, Derelict Bridge 36 44' 15" N by 79 57' 26" W (Stanleytown Bridge - near CVS)

4.      Travel to next sampling site, Sewage Plant     36 41' 35" N by 79 55' 32" W

Day 3: August 13, 2015

1.      Meet at sampling site 9:00 AM, Dam site  36 47' 37" N by 80 01' 34" W  (same road as Yellow Stairs - this site is just before big pool called Lemon's Hole - steep concrete steps to small cabin - During the 2014 sample we also moved the fish collected from this site to below MV Dam so it will be interesting to see if this site replenished itself)

Contact Al Kittredge email aakitt@earthlink.net or  cell phone 910-624-3457 for up-to-date information as to time and location. 

Woolly Bugger

I'm going to up Tues and Wednesday, if I don't have to work...

Anybody else want to drive/ride up there with me d:b
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

I'm gonna try to get down Wed. afternoon. Coming from Yankeeland, WB. Sorry.

Al

On Day 2 (Weds) if you come for the first sampling site of the day, ie behind the Mirror Plant, this is the one time you can drive in like you always wish you could. Drive right through the gate, past the paint shed / loading dock and follow road through the gardens to the downstream corner of the field.