Sometimes you gotta get high

Started by Yallerhammer, July 20, 2015, 05:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yallerhammer

The bigger creeks around here have been fishing for shit lately with the heat, so I decided to head way up the mountain. After a week of selling your soul to the Man for paper, sometimes it's just what the doctor ordered to get up there in the spruce-fir zone out of the heat and humidity  and catch a few fish the size of your finger.

This little creek is protected by a very high set of falls, so speckles only. Never even seen a dace, minnow, chub, or anything else in there, just all little native trout. There are tens of thousands of them, but none of any size much. I've never caught a fish over about 7" out of here. A lot of it is fairly flat water because of not much gradient, probably not a spot in the whole creek more than knee deep this time of year.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

With the low, clear water,the fish were surprisingly picky for specks. Tried several different flies and they were mostly just slapping them. The ticket was a #16 red-assed Yellow Sally, that little tiny red spot made all the difference between slapping and eating. After I figured out what they wanted, I proceeded to catch a bunch of these pretty little tiny fellers:

Here's a couple that I ninjy'd up on:

I found evidence of a mysterious civilization of granola-based lifeforms:

It didn't take long to go through the fishable part of that creek, so on my way back down the mountain, I stopped and hit another little tiny tributary that's usually good to me. Caught a few of these:

And a plethora of these:

Then finally, just before a nasty thunderstorm ran me back out of the woods to the truck, I caught this little guy to finish off the piss-trickle slam, glad to see a few still in there:

These fish were hungry-they would dart all the way across a hole to slam the fly. I hung one brown that looked to be about 11", a trophy for that creek, but he ran up under a log and scrubbed my fly off. All in all, no fish of any size, but a very enjoyable day. Beats work any time.

Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Dougfish

Very nice.  'c;

Digging the old school equipment. Cortland Crown? RHW. 'c;
Rod?

Dee-Vo

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Dougfish on July 20, 2015, 06:06:01 AM
Very nice.  'c;

Digging the old school equipment. Cortland Crown? RHW. 'c;
Rod?

That's just an old Redington 3-weight rod and Redington reel, probably circa late-90s. I've grown quite fond of it over the years. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  :D

ptfranze

Very nice  'c;  should have kicked that "cairn" down

Transylwader

That area is an ass magnet. Since they increased the size of the parking lot, it's become the shitshow of the tri-county area. I miss it terribly but since I hate homo sapiens sapiens, I seek out places I am unlikley to run into these shitty species.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Transylwader on July 20, 2015, 09:22:32 AM
That area is an ass magnet. Since they increased the size of the parking lot, it's become the shitshow of the tri-county area. I miss it terribly but since I hate homo sapiens sapiens, I seek out places I am unlikley to run into these shitty species.

#totallyagree, #Ialsohatethespecies. In at 6AM, out at 8:00 AM is the ticket, pre-shitshow, pre urban Homo semi-sapiens activity. Ran into only one person in the valley, but they were starting to pile in as I was hiking out.

troutboy_II

And what it is worth, there are mucho hikers, but not many folks fishing.  Still one of my favorites, during the week, in the fall or spring!

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Aka

I still like that one for a quick trip on a hot day. Agreed you have to get there early and finish early but most people go off the other direction up there. The trade off, I saw some sweet titties when I was there two weeks ago and pulled 6-8 brookies out of every deep pool and a few out of the flats.

Transylwader

Quote from: AKAaron on July 20, 2015, 10:16:02 AM
I saw some sweet titties when I was there two weeks ago and pulled on my brookie 6-8 times and...
:;!
Dude, too much info...

Dee-Doodle Duck

Yallerhammer

I can remember before people from other places found that place.

JD

Da Heisenberg

That's some good shit. Too damn hot. Fish should be boiling by next month.