Unlimited confederate (or any other) war memorial

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 07, 2015, 11:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Confederate Memorials stay or go?

Keep them.
18 (69.2%)
Good riddance
8 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

joe friday

Soldier's grave at Calvary Episcopal Church in Tarboro, NC:

You cannot view this attachment.

Monument to black soldiers

Woolly Bugger

Down goes Lee! Down goes Lee! Down goes Lee!
Howard Cosel voice as heard in the Ali - Frazer fight.

Statue of Confederate Gen Robert E Lee in Virginia's capitol can be removed, court rules
Lawsuit sought to preserve the statue, which had become a center of protest in Richmond after the death of George Floyd

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/02/statue-confederate-general-robert-e-lee-virginia-removed-court-rules
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

Tear them all down, dig all the dead confederates up, bulldoze every battlefield. It's isn't going to change a thing. What I fear is another civil war.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Al

Public meeting 10 Sep 21 on the renaming of Ft Bragg. Local congressman says the way the law is written it is going to be renamed the only question is what or who it will renamed for.

Same scenario for all the other military bases named for confederate generals. (Hood, Lee, AP Hill, Breckinridge, Stewart, and many more).

Woolly Bugger

there he goes, up, up, and away..

The huge statue of General Robert E. Lee is removed from the pedestal where it has been for 131 years in a huge BLM victory on Wednesday morning

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9968485/Lee-statue-Richmond-set-removed-sent-storage.html

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Work crews searching for a time capsule they believed was buried inside the pedestal under a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee that had towered over Richmond, Virginia, hit a snag Thursday.

Crews were having difficulty finding the capsule's precise location. Then late Thursday morning, a crane they were using to lift heavy pieces of a cornerstone broke down, stalling work indefinitely.

me -There's a season?

Onslow

FB post of the year.

Woolly Bugger

One hundred and fifty nine years ago this week, in 1862, 75,000 United States troops and about 38,000 Confederate troops massed along Antietam Creek near Sharpsburg, Maryland.

>>>After a successful summer of fighting, Confederate general Robert E. Lee had crossed the Potomac River into Maryland to bring the Civil War to the North. He hoped to swing the slave state of Maryland into rebellion and to weaken Lincoln's war policies in the upcoming 1862 elections. For his part, Union general George McClellan hoped to finish off the southern Army of Northern Virginia that had snaked away from him all summer.

The armies clashed as the sun rose about 5:30 on the clear fall morning of September 17, 159 years ago. For twelve hours the men slashed at each other. Amid the smoke and fire, soldiers fell. Twelve hours later, more than 2000 U.S. soldiers lay dead and more than 10,000 of their comrades were wounded or missing. Fifteen hundred Confederates had fallen in the battle, and another 9000 or so were wounded or captured. The United States had lost 25% of its fighting force; the Confederates, 31%. The First Texas Infantry lost 82% of its men.

http://www.milwaukeeindependent.com/heather-richardson/forgotten-sacrifices-ideas-confederates-fought-antietam-remain-alive-today/
me -There's a season?

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Onslow on September 19, 2021, 05:15:24 AMYou cannot view this attachment.

FB post of the year.

I fail to see anything odd or curious about saving this old tree, and why would anyone, southern or not, find this ironic.  Someone needs to explain this one to me.  Thanks.

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Trout Maharishi

A little bit of tin foil around the base of that Sequoia tree isn't going to save it. If that fire burns up the Western slope of the park there's plenty of fuel and it's going to be one more big hot burning inferno. There are a bunch of trees in that grove that are almost as big.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Trout Maharishi

QuoteI fail to see anything odd or curious about saving this old tree, and why would anyone, southern or not, find this ironic.  Someone needs to explain this one to me.  Thanks.

I have a list of ones I'l like to tear down or blow up myself. But I'm at the age where I do more observing and talking. They have torn down statues that had nothing to do with the civil war. It's been a crazy mix and match of monumets. I was more upset about Teddy's and Lewis and Clarks' statues than any of he others.

― Charles Bukowski

Al

Woolly Bugger

Civil War Maps from the Army Corps of Engineers Now Digitized

Below is a sketch of the Battle Field of Young's Branch, or Manassa Plains fought on July 21, 1861 showing Federal and Confederate infantry and artillery positions:

https://unwritten-record.blogs.archives.gov/2021/09/21/civil-war-maps-from-the-army-corps-of-engineers-now-digitized/
me -There's a season?

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Al on September 22, 2021, 21:29:34 PMWell here ya go. Got all that empty space we better fill it up with our own monuments  https://my.earthlink.net/channel/news/article?id=2021:newsml_KBN2GI1NK:3

Kudos Al!  I got all warm and fuzzy inside when I saw you employed the word "our", implying that it is something that belongs to all of us.  Perhaps there is hope for aging guys like us.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

NYT Crossword from a few years back
me -There's a season?