• Welcome to Pretentious Snobby Bastard Fly Fishing!. Please login or sign up.
+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Stats

Members
Total Members: 2305
Latest: gpierce18
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 144551
Total Topics: 13940
Most Online Today: 674
Most Online Ever: 832
(March 08, 2019, 14:41:24 pm)
Users Online
Members: 22
Guests: 629
Total: 651

Unlimited confederate (or any other) war memorial

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 07, 2015, 11:05:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

troutrus and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Woolly Bugger

A walk through an Appalachian graveyard

QuoteWest Virginia will forever be connected to the Civil War. It was created when it became the first and only state to secede from the Confederacy on June 20, 1863, after years of neglect by the plantation-owning aristocracy in greater Virginia that was determined to continue slavery instead of paying their southern brethren a living wage. That is how some would view the conflict anyway, as others fought for the South and what they viewed as their besieged homeland.

West Virginia was also the perfect example of brother fighting brother and cousin fighting cousin during the War Between the States. The truth is that Union sympathizers and soldiers could be found in every Confederate state except for South Carolina. The Free State of Jones existed in Mississippi, the thousands-strong Hill Country Militia was located in Texas, the Mountain Feds were based in Arkansas, the Jayhawker fighters fought in Louisiana, the Winston County soldiers came out of Alabama, the Independent Rangers held court in Florida, the Pickens County brethren were from Georgia, and thousands of Eastern Tennessee fighters fought with the Union forces.

Western North Carolina was no different, and that history includes the true story of Sarah Malinda "Sam" Blalock. "Sam" Blalock was one of only two female soldiers who disguised themselves as men and fought during the Civil War. Her story is well-documented throughout history.

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/features_entertainment/a-walk-through-an-appalachian-graveyard/article_ce1cb7f3-e7c6-5601-8b15-9f3ebf6acac8.html

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!”

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Group calls for 'Dixie' to be taken out of Dixie Classic Fair over associations with slavery
http://via.wghp.com/DXMfr

me -There's a season?

Al

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on April 10, 2019, 14:43:39 pmGroup calls for 'Dixie' to be taken out of Dixie Classic Fair over associations with slavery
http://via.wghp.com/DXMfr

I saw the same thing in our local newspaper. My immediate thought was "Well I guess the Dixie Deer Classic will be next"

Woolly Bugger

PC craziness if you ask me!

QuoteNike's latest ad campaign was online for just a few hours before historians on Twitter noticed a problem: The slogan, "The Lost Cause," was intended to promote the brand's new Trail Running collection, but it also called up a phrase with disturbing significance dating back to the years following the Civil War.

https://footwearnews.com/2019/business/retail/nike-lost-cause-ad-campaign-confederate-history-1202770716/

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

PHOTOS: Wilmington's hidden Civil War history

In a 1917 StarNews article, a Confederate veteran described the defensive earthworks that surrounded Willmington during the Civil War. Many of these remnants still exist, though often now part of the area's hidden history.

Photos show Dr. Chris Fonvielle, an expert on Wilmington's Civil War history, on part of the earthworks of the Sugar Loaf defenses in a remote area of Carolina Beach State Park.

https://www.starnewsonline.com/photogallery/NC/20190418/OPINION/418009982/PH/1

me -There's a season?

+-Recent Topics

Between Monsoons by Dougfish
Today at 20:20:36

Found a new fishing partner by itieuglyflies
Today at 16:20:53

Unlimited Salmon/Steelhead News Update... by Onslow
Today at 15:38:19

Unlimited confederate (or any other) war memorial by Woolly Bugger
Today at 09:15:05