Unlimited confederate (or any other) war memorial

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 07, 2015, 11:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Confederate Memorials stay or go?

Keep them.
18 (69.2%)
Good riddance
8 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Beetle on February 27, 2019, 13:38:45 PMI'm saying it is ridiculous that this guy is stepping down.    It was a party about a TV Show.

Probably just doesn’t want to deal with the media â€" perhaps he was ready to retire
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

https://fox59.com/2019/02/21/man-sentenced-to-probation-ordered-to-stay-away-from-garfield-park-after-vandalizing-confederate-monument/amp/

This idiot took a plea deal  after vandalizing A monument commemorating Confederate soldiers who died as prisoners of war.

You cannot view this attachment.

Video link

https://twitter.com/mass_ave/status/898952660967149568?s=21
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Big J

That’s kind of how I figured most of these vandalism people looked like.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Image wise, I have no idea of the prototypical vandal.  I think the Indiana dude looks like this guy with glasses. 

I believe J missed or forgot the ‘can’t (or don’t) judge a book by its cover’ Sunday school lesson.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

Not judging a cover, he did it. And saying yes, looks like the stereotype that would do that. That’s the point.

And I would say he looks more like a WildMtWalleye that had a bad night sleep.

Woolly Bugger

CHAPEL HILL
In two weeks, a plan is due for the future of the toppled Silent Sam Confederate monument, but so far the UNC Board of Governors has not debated the issue openly, and a special board committee has met only once, in private.

The panel’s meeting, on Feb. 7, was not announced publicly and notice wasn’t given to media organizations â€" an apparent violation of the state’s open meetings law, according to Amanda Martin, general counsel for the N.C. Press Association.

Silent Sam’s future is ‘a very public conversation,’ UNC leader says. But it hasn’t been so far.
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article226908194.html

A UNC-Chapel Hill trustee, Dwight Stone, emailed one Board of Governors member, Michael Williford, to say returning Silent Sam to campus was a very bad idea.

“Mike, putting the statue back up will make us ground zero for every nut job organization on both sides of the issue,” Stone wrote on Aug. 27. “There will be no way to guarantee safety and I promise you whatever is put back up is going to be the target of every one of these groups to destroy. Not only will it cost up [to] a million dollars a year of taxpayer money to try to protect it, but we will never be successful doing so without armed guards standing around it 24/7. What kind of visual signal does that send to every parent or potential parent of every student at UNC.”

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Winston Salem Mayor announced that the statue will be moved today. I remains to be seen where the statue owned by the UDC will end up. The owners of the Salem cemetery, where there are confederate graves has offered to allow the monument to be erected in proximity to those graves.

http://via.wghp.com/kz6sm

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.
George Orwell, 1984
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The American Battlefield Trust has closed on a key acquisition in northerneastern Culpeper County that spans 200 acres of fiercely fought-over Civil War battleground, including more than 5,000 feet of Rappahannock River frontage .

The Washington, D.C.-based nonprofit preservation group bought the 12-acre “Culpeper Crossing” site fronting U.S. 29 from Culpeper developer Bob Currier for $1.8 million. He had previously rezoned the land for commercial use, once envisioning it for various tourist attractions, including a butterfly conservatory and a living-history village.

https://www.roanoke.com/news/acres-along-rappahannock-river-in-culpeper-acquired-by-american-battlefield/article_376bd578-44a3-5b07-ae94-38d5e65f0182.html
me -There's a season?

Dougfish

I go right by that site every month for bidness. The canoe/kayak launch at the river crossing got shut down years ago because the land owners got fed up with the litter, noise and drunks. A state administered launch would be great. You can tour Civil war sites: Rappahannock Station, Brandy Station, Graffiti House, Catlett Station, Bristoe Station, Kelly's Ford and more in a half day.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

This 1863 drawing by Edwin Forbes portrays The Army of the Potomac crossing the Rappahannock River on a pontoon bridge at night, near Rappahannock Station, - LIBRARY OF CONGRESS

more info: https://www.starexponent.com/news/culpeper-crossing-parcel-near-remington-headed-to-conservation-easement/article_ce1258ad-443b-530e-81be-9c4704b86070.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

I grew up in the north and many of my summers were spent in New England where, it seams that, every small town has a statue to it's Civil War veterans. Viewing those monuments led me to ask questions and learn about the cost of war both in lives and economics. I learned that colonel Joshua Chamberlain, a native from Maine, had lead a heroic and strategic defense of Little Round Top at Gettysburg.

When I arrived in North Carolina in the early 1970s the vestiges of segregation still existed. Shortly after the move, I discovered the Southern Civil War monuments located in the surrounding cities and towns. To me the spoke of surrender and defeat, and were mournful reminders of the cost of the war to the south.

Recently the monument at the old Winston Salem courthouse was removed. Personally I thought it should stand as a historical artifact, but now that it is gone, a symbolic weight has been lifted from our collective social conscience. It may be progress...

In the news today from Texas:

QuoteA billboard east of Dallas that appears to condemn the city for its recent action regarding confederate monuments, is offending some North Texans.
The billboard sits off of HWY 175 near the City of Kemp, about 45 miles east of Dallas. It features a cartoon image of a Confederate soldier urinating on the Dallas skyline while holding a Confederate flag. In the corner of the billboard is a Confederate flag with the words “I Support Confederate Heritage” underneath it.
“It’s disgusting and I don’t like it,” said one Kemp resident about the sign.
“It’s freedom of speech and it’s as simple as that,” said a man who frequently drives through the area.
The City of Dallas removed a Robert E. Lee statue from a city park in 2017. The City Council voted earlier this year to remove a Confederate memorial at Pioneer Park in downtown.

http://www.wbap.com/2019/03/20/texans-react-to-billboard-aimed-at-city-of-dallas-confederate-heritage/

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

One link led to another:

https://www.theledger.com/news/20190321/florida-history-biggest-civil-war-battle-in-florida

QuoteFor four hours, 10,000 men, some 5,000 on each side, stood and shot. And stood and shot. Night found almost 1,860 Federals â€" nearly two of five â€" killed, wounded or captured. It was, by percentage of those fighting, the third deadliest Union setback in the war.
The men in blue included black soldiers, some of whom were found lying wounded after the battle by Confederate soldiers, who summarily executed them.
The southerners tallied 1,000 killed, wounded or captured. But they’d sent the Federals scurrying.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Fairfax County quietly changes Confederate park names

Quote from: undefinedFairfax County’s Park Authority Board renamed Robert E. Lee RECenter and J.E.B. Stuart Park this winter, in little-noticed votes that removed the Confederate leaders’ names from the facilities.
According to board meeting minutes, the body voted 9-1-1 Jan. 9, with one member absent, to follow the school board’s lead to rename J.E.B. Stuart Park as Justice Park. In a 2017 vote, the school system changed the name of the neighboring high school to Justice High School after a lengthy public debate.
On Jan. 23, apparently with less controversy, the Park Authority Board voted unanimously (with two members absent) to rename the Robert E. Lee RECenter as the Lee District RECenter.

https://wtop.com/fairfax-county/2019/03/fairfax-county-quietly-changes-confederate-park-names/

Community activists call for economic boycott of Jacksonville unless city removes Confederate monuments

QuoteCommunity activists Saturday renewed their demand that Jacksonville leaders immediately take down all Confederate monuments on city-owned property, as well as strip the names of Confederate leaders off public buildings and street signs.

They also called for an economic boycott of Jacksonville unless city leaders immediately remove the statues and other symbols of the Confederacy, which the activists denounced as rooted in white supremacy and representing racism, hate and slavery.

The call came as TakeEmDownJax hosted the second international TakeEmDownEverywhere rally Saturday afternoon at Confederate Park, 956 Hubbard St., in the city’s Springfield neighborhood. An estimated 140 people â€" many from local and out-of-town social justice community action organizations â€" attended the rally that was followed by a panel discussion at the nearby International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers union hall.

https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20190323/community-activists-call-for-economic-boycott-of-jacksonville-unless-city-removes-confederate-monuments

United Daughters of Confederacy: Put Confederate statue back, take city attorney out of lawsuit

QuoteWinston-Salem would have to return a Confederate statue to its former spot at the corner of Liberty and Fourth streets if the court grants a motion filed by the United Daughters of the Confederacy this week in the a lawsuit against the city.

The UDC is also objecting to Winston-Salem City Attorney Angela Carmon’s involvement in the case, saying that it plans to call Carmon as a witness to what it says are “the facts and circumstances giving rise to the manufactured controversy” preceding the statue’s removal on March 12.

https://www.journalnow.com/news/local/united-daughters-of-confederacy-put-confederate-statue-back-take-city/article_2c5b53b9-597f-548e-b2ee-8c611fa38603.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?